Author Topic: Lizabeth Cramp born 1792  (Read 404 times)

Offline agray1949

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Lizabeth Cramp born 1792
« on: Monday 17 January 22 16:56 GMT (UK) »
I am looking for some advise regarding Elizabeth Cramp who was Baptised in 1792. I am not sure if I should be checking in Surrey or Middlesex.
Elizabeth was baptised at St. Mary, Whitechapel, Middlesex in 1792 to John Cramp & Elizabeth ?
She married Edmund Thomas Jury at St. Faith under St. Paul on 15th July 1828.
They had a son Edmund Jury who was baptised at St. Faith under St. Paul on 9th June 1829 & buried at St. Faith under St. Paul on 14th June 1829 age 6 days.
Edmund Thomas Jury married again in October 1842 & was described as a widower.
There is no mention of Elizabeth in the 1841 census so I can be sure she died between 14th June 1829 & 6th June 1841.
There is an Elizabeth Cramp who was buried on 16th October 1829 at Mortlake, Surrey age 37.
The age would be correct & the name if she was buried using her Maiden name.
My questions are : Why use her maiden name & why was she buried in Mortlake & not nearer to St. Faith under St. Paul. On the same page of the burial record is an Ann Brown whose abode is given as St. Mathew, Bethnal Green.
Any thoughts please.

Offline maddys52

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.
    • View Profile
Re: Lizabeth Cramp born 1792
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 18 January 22 01:50 GMT (UK) »
I would think it would be very unusual to be buried under her maiden name. The burial register at Mortlake for Elizabeth CRUMP on Oct 16 1829 says her abode was Mortlake. Again, this doesn't really fit with the baptism and burial of son Edmund of Newgate Market in June 1829. There are a couple of possibilities for other Elizabeth's who married CRUMPs around Mortlake in the right time period. So overall, I think I would rule out that burial.

However, I can't see a burial for Elizabeth JURY, certainly not at St Faith under St Paul. There is an Elizabeth French JURY who died 30 March 1841, but she was married to Henry JURY, so not yours. Will keep looking.  :)

Offline amondg

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 18 January 22 07:41 GMT (UK) »
Try
Elizabeth Jury death registered Islington June Q Vol. 03 Page 125 
per GRO she was 39

The 1841 census was 6 June so if she died late May she would be registered June Quarter and would have missed the census.

Edmund 40 is at Devonshire House Islington with his father William 75 in 1841

Offline maddys52

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 18 January 22 07:56 GMT (UK) »
Death notice:
"beloved wife of Edmund Thomas Jury of Devonshire House ... "

Monday 31 May 1841
Newspaper: Evening Mail

Also in the Times on the same day:

"On the 29th inst., Elizabeth, the beloved wife of Edmund Thomas Jury, of Devonshire-house, Hornsey-road, in her 49th [sic] year, much esteemed by all who knew her"

Offline amondg

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 18 January 22 10:10 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Maddys52  you clinched it.

Offline agray1949

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 18 January 22 14:13 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for this help.
I am a bit annoyed with myself for not noticing her death registration in 1841.
The 1841 census which shows Edmund Thomas Jury living with his father also has a Mary Crighton age 15 at the same address. Edmund & Mary married in 1842 at Strand, London & went on to have 6 children between 1843 & 1853.
When I first recorded Elizabeth in my Ancestry tree & indicated she had died between 1829 & 1842, which I noticed was copied by several other trees, it was only recently that I saw the burial at Mortlake in 1829 but none of the others had questioned the validity. This is something which annoys me when information from trees is just taken for granted without any checking, so I am really glad that I have asked for your help & this is now cleared up.
One query that remains is her age (39) on the GRO website. If she was born in 1792 then she would have been 48/49 when she died & there seems to be a bit of haste when Edmund married Mary within a year.

Offline maddys52

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 19 January 22 08:53 GMT (UK) »
It would be interesting to see what is actually written on the death certificate for her age, "39" may just be an error. The death notice has it correct then.  :)

Agree with you about tree copying, never take anything for granted!

Offline agray1949

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 19 January 22 16:09 GMT (UK) »
If she was a blood relative of my wife I would certainly purchase her death certificate but as she was her 3rd Great Grand Aunt I am reluctant to apply for it (my Scottish roots coming to the fore), but possibly in the future curiosity will get the better of me.
If it was Edmund's father William who registered the death then he would have been 78 so may not be too sure & if it was Mary Crighton who was 15 at the time then the same could apply.
If it had been in Scotland then I would probably used some credits (£1.50) to get a copy but it is a bit more from the GRO.
As I said curiosity may get the better of me, only time will tell.