Author Topic: How it started, How it’s Going…….  (Read 410 times)

Offline chiddicks

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
How it started, How it’s Going…….
« on: Tuesday 18 January 22 02:52 GMT (UK) »
Inspired by a recent post by a friend, what first got you started with genealogy and researching your family tree and what continues to inspire you to carry on with your research? Here's how I started

https://chiddicksfamilytree.com/2022/01/18/how-it-started-how-its-going/
https://chiddicksfamilytree.com

Searching the names Chiddicks, Keyes, Wootton, Daniels, Lake, Lukes, Day, Barnes

Offline jinks

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Thomas Pye
    • View Profile
Re: How it started, How it’s Going…….
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 18 January 22 04:57 GMT (UK) »
Whilst I was still at Junior School (Last class before starting Secondary School) we got a new teacher. He gave the class an assignment. To write a book like 'This is your life' (An old TV program)  or an autobiography, think I started by writing about places I visited and my cousins and parents then I moved on to my Grandparents. Then I started questioning My Grandparents who were their Grandparents etc.

Whilst my Parents were working (before I started School) I went to my Nana's everyday (I think) so  I knew a lot of My Great Aunts and Uncles too. My Grandfather took me visiting relatives too, so a lot of the extended family I knew fairly well. 2nd Cousins etc.

I always say I started at the age of 9 (which is a long time ago  ::)  )
Ashton Lancashire
Eccles Lancashire
Fletcher Lancashire
Harwood Church/Darwen
Jackson Staffordhire/Worcestershire
Jenkinson Cockerham
Marsden Hoghton Lancashire
Mercer Lancashire/Yorkshire
Pye Wyresdale
Singleton Lancashire
Swarbrick  Longridge
Watt Scotland/Lancashire

Offline panda40

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 18 January 22 07:42 GMT (UK) »
I had to do a project covering education development from Victorian times and relate it to my family tree. Out from nowhere can all these photos of the people who were my ancestors and alive in this period. I was hooked on family history. I still have this first tree and project book. This was 44 years ago.
Regards
Panda
Chapman. Kent/Liverpool 1900+
Linnett.Kent/liverpool 1900+
Button. Kent
Sawyer. Kent
Swain. Kent
Austin/en. Kent
Ellen. Kent
Harman. Kent/ norfolk

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 18 January 22 09:23 GMT (UK) »
Both of my grandfathers died before I was born, so I knew nothing about my surname.
The Family Bible gave some names and dates, then I started researching in Bristol Central Reference Library - IGI on microfiche, printed Trade Directories, and so on.

That was nearly 50 years ago!
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline chiddicks

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 18 January 22 13:33 GMT (UK) »
Whilst I was still at Junior School (Last class before starting Secondary School) we got a new teacher. He gave the class an assignment. To write a book like 'This is your life' (An old TV program)  or an autobiography, think I started by writing about places I visited and my cousins and parents then I moved on to my Grandparents. Then I started questioning My Grandparents who were their Grandparents etc.

Whilst my Parents were working (before I started School) I went to my Nana's everyday (I think) so  I knew a lot of My Great Aunts and Uncles too. My Grandfather took me visiting relatives too, so a lot of the extended family I knew fairly well. 2nd Cousins etc.

I always say I started at the age of 9 (which is a long time ago  ::)  )

Thanks Jinks, this used to be a regular school activity, I wonder if schools still do these activities today?

Searching the names Chiddicks, Keyes, Wootton, Daniels, Lake, Lukes, Day, Barnes

Offline chiddicks

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 18 January 22 13:33 GMT (UK) »
I had to do a project covering education development from Victorian times and relate it to my family tree. Out from nowhere can all these photos of the people who were my ancestors and alive in this period. I was hooked on family history. I still have this first tree and project book. This was 44 years ago.
Regards
Panda

thanks Panda, all we need is one thing to spark a lifeimes hobby and passion.

Offline chiddicks

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 18 January 22 13:34 GMT (UK) »
Both of my grandfathers died before I was born, so I knew nothing about my surname.
The Family Bible gave some names and dates, then I started researching in Bristol Central Reference Library - IGI on microfiche, printed Trade Directories, and so on.

That was nearly 50 years ago!

and you're still just as keen and still researching today!