Author Topic: Romany names - Bone & Smeeth, etc?  (Read 717 times)

Offline hjbcp2018

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Romany names - Bone & Smeeth, etc?
« on: Tuesday 18 January 22 21:28 GMT (UK) »
My son-in-law can remember his father and grandfather 'speaking romany' and has always understood that there were 'travellers' in his family. His DNA cousins also remember their paternal ancestors 'speaking romany' too so it sounds is if there is some truth in this story.

The paternal family name is Bone, believed to be from London/Hampshire/Bedfordshire area in England before emigrating to Ontario, Canada approx 1920's. Bridal marry-in surnames to the Bone family over the centuries include Herbert, Wells, Smeeth, Lover, Wyatt, Fribburne, Newman. There is also an Irish line (Sullivan's) that I have not been able to take further back than the 1890's.

My question is which line is most likely to be the 'romany' line? I understand that Irish travellers are a different genetic group to romany gypsies who allegedly originated from Egypt. Are these names romany/traveller names? Is it possible that the Sullivan's were Irish travellers? Is there any way (i.e. DNA evidence) that would help me identify which line to pursue? Can anyone make any suggestions about the best way to go with this research please?

Offline chempat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Romany names - Bone & Smeeth, etc?
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 06 February 22 12:10 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

Just seen that no-one has responded to you.

Welcome to rootschat.

I know little about Romany gypsies, but just believe that you need to work at tracing back grand-parents, great-grandparents etc etc to see where that leads you.  I thought that gypsies tended to marry other gypsies, so it would be best to sort out all ancestors as much as possible.

Who are you stuck on?

A neighbour of ours was a Bone from Hampshire, but no gypsies in the immediate family, so the surname on its own is no proof of anything.

Offline Darnity

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Romany names - Bone & Smeeth, etc?
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 09 February 22 15:04 GMT (UK) »
If there is a history of speaking Romany in the family then there will be a connection somewhere but it may not be the line you expect.

Take a look around the Romany and Traveller Family History Society website

https://rtfhs.org.uk/

Start with https://rtfhs.org.uk/gypsy_identity/ and also read the How to get started: your 8-step guide

Smeeth sounds like it could be a derivation of Smith and that is the name of a very large Romany family. You also mention Lover - is that actually Loveridge, again a large Romany family.

Look particularly at the occupations of the people in the family tree to try and identify which might have been from the Travelling community.

Gypsy DRAPERs, children of Billy and Mary - Ellen,Darnity,Spencer,Billy Jnr,Kisby,Ellick
Descendants of Fred and Esther (Garrett) WHITLOCK - Wavendon, Woburn Sands area
Descendants of George and Barbara (Willis) SUTTON - Earls Barton and Nether Heyford
BISSELL - Hanslope, New Bradwell, Bucks and Aston, Birmingham area
Lavinia DRAPER died 1840 Cranfield
Gypsies in the Bow Brickhill and Beds/Bucks border areas