Author Topic: NEAL sisters arrival from Tasmania  (Read 1420 times)

Offline minniehaha

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • "To live in hearts we leave behind, Is not to die"
    • View Profile
Re: NEAL sisters arrival from Tasmania
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 23 January 22 06:17 GMT (UK) »
Some particulars re John Beagent Neal-

Probated will:

https://www.archway.archives.govt.nz/ViewFullItem.do?code=14771982&digital=yes

Death registration:

1962/39700   Neal   John   78Y

Added [deaths of daughters named in will]:

1982/48433   McVeigh   Christina Dorothy   9 July 1915

1983/43125   Tietjens   Florence Margaret   29 March 1913

2001/11177   Clarke   Thelma Ellen   3 July 1911

Minniehaha.
HAMMOND, Cainham/Caynham, Shropshire, U.K. Otago-NZ.
GALBRAITH, Ireland, Dunedin, Otago-NZ., Kensington-London, U.K.
GRANT, Sct., Dunedin, Otago-NZ., Vancouver, Canada.
GLASS, Aberdeenshire, Otago-NZ.
CAIRNEY/CARNEY/KEARNEY/Ireland, Airdrie, Scotland, Otago-NZ.
O'BRIEN Mary Ann, Limerick, Otago-NZ.
NICOL(L) James, Scotland, Otago-NZ.
SCOTT Thomas, Shetland, Otago-NZ.
MCHARDY/MCHARDIE Euphemia, Scotland, Otago-NZ.

Offline minniehaha

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • "To live in hearts we leave behind, Is not to die"
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 23 January 22 06:29 GMT (UK) »
Marriage: I think this is the correct couple as mentioned earlier.

1908/6537   Margaret Hutchinson*   McKay   John   Neal

Death:
1955/27026   Neal   Margaret Hutchison*   69Y

[Margaret was not mentioned in the will of John Beagent Neal which was executed in 1962.]

*Note different spelling.

Minniehaha.
HAMMOND, Cainham/Caynham, Shropshire, U.K. Otago-NZ.
GALBRAITH, Ireland, Dunedin, Otago-NZ., Kensington-London, U.K.
GRANT, Sct., Dunedin, Otago-NZ., Vancouver, Canada.
GLASS, Aberdeenshire, Otago-NZ.
CAIRNEY/CARNEY/KEARNEY/Ireland, Airdrie, Scotland, Otago-NZ.
O'BRIEN Mary Ann, Limerick, Otago-NZ.
NICOL(L) James, Scotland, Otago-NZ.
SCOTT Thomas, Shetland, Otago-NZ.
MCHARDY/MCHARDIE Euphemia, Scotland, Otago-NZ.

Offline Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 23 January 22 08:28 GMT (UK) »
" Do you think the girls may have gone to live with relatives in New Zealand ??"

...It appears that 2 older brothers were in NZ, married and died there as well,  ...

Samuel Osborne NEAL died NZ 1934 aged 53 years.    Couldn't see a New Zealand marriage for him.

~  Lu

Offline Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 23 January 22 08:49 GMT (UK) »
Hi Tabster

*  Have you looked through the passenger lists on the PRO VIC website for persons departing
 Victoria ??
If the girls had been in Launceston, then they may very well have gone across to Victoria and departed for New Zealand from there.   

*  Check both the "Coastal"  and  "Outward" lists.  [Not all in "Outward" were travelling to NZ but it's still worth checking both of these lists. ]
https://prov.vic.gov.au/explore-collection/explore-topic/passenger-records-and-immigration

~  Lu

Offline Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sunday 23 January 22 08:57 GMT (UK) »

Offline kiwiserbian

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday 17 January 24 00:40 GMT (UK) »
An update on the Neal sisters arrival from Tasmania.

My grandmother is Ethel Neal, one of the sisters referred too.

John and Annie had a total of 8 children, John died in 1896 and Annie in 1898.

Clarence Herbert Carpenter Clark/Neal b 31 Jan 1877 Ringarooma - d 3 Sep 1910 Ringarooma. Clarence was illegitimate, father unknown,  born a cripple, he never married.

William Edward Neal b 21 Nov 1878 Ringarooma - d 15 Jun 1911 Waituhi, Taumarunui, New Zealand. Never married and his occupation was a sawmill hand labourer.'

Samuel Osborne Neal b 20 Dec 1881 Ringarooma - d 26 Oct 1934 Taumarunui, New Zealand. He never married and his occupation, Bushman/labourer.

John Begent Neal b 26 May 1884 Ringarooma - d 12 Nov 1962 Auckland, New Zealand. John married in Auckland to Margaret McKay and they had 3 girls. Occupation Farmer.

Amy Harriet Neal b 29 Sep 1886 Ringarooma - d 25 Sep 1890 Ringarooma. Died aged 3 of Diphtheria.

Ethel Isabella Neal b 30 Mar 1890 Ringarooma - d 13 Dec 1977 New Plymouth, Taranaki, New Zealand. Married on 13 Sep 1911 in Taihape, New Zealand to Ernest Edward Manning. Ernest arrived approximately in NZ in either 1906-1907, He was born in Eldorado, Victoria, Australia. Ethel and Ernest had 4 boys, the youngest being my father.

Ruth Olive Christina Neal b 13 Jan 1893 Ringarooma - died 17 Nov 1918 Taihape, New Zealand during the Spanish Flu epidemic. Never married.

Amy Rose Neal b 4 Jul 1895 Ringarooma - d 3 Aug 1977 New Plymouth, Taranaki, New Zealand. Married in 1922 in New Plymouth to Frederick Cox. They had 2 girls.

When Annie died on 11 Sep 1898 within 4 months on 4 Jan 1899 Ethel and her 2 younger sisters, Ruth and Amy were admitted into the Female Industrial School, Launceston. Ethel was aged 8, Ruth 5 and Amy 3.

On the death of their mother William continued to care for Clarence. Clarence died in Aug 1910. After his death William went to live in New Zealand leaving in late 1910 where his brother John was living.

Samuel is listed in the 1914 Australian Electoral Rolls as being a labourer in Ringarooma but by 1916 he is listed in the NZ Army WW1 Reserve Rolls so I don't know if he lived in NZ prior to 1914 for awhile or not.

I am uncertain as to when John left Tasmania to live in New Zealand as I can not find the shipping records but it was before 1908 as John married in 1908 in New Zealand.

John in approximately 1910 - 1911 traveled back to Tasmania to bring his 3 sisters back to New Zealand to live. All 3 sisters living at the Industrial School until the age of 16.

I know my grandmother Ethel was extremely close to her 2 younger sisters and to her brother John. After all of those years since their mother died in 1898 the family were reunited again,  not in Tasmania but New Zealand. When they first arrived in New Zealand John, Ethel, Ruth and Amy, Samuel and William they initially all lived in Taihape or the surrounding area for a number of years before all moving to other parts of the North Island to live.

Suzanne

Offline Tabster

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Wednesday 24 January 24 02:10 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks Suzanne for taking the time to reply so comprehensively. I am writing a history of the Launceston Girls Industrial School and trying to trace the lives of all of the girls who went there. Your information had added to my knowledge of the Neal family.
Kindest regards
Dianne in Launceston.

Offline kiwiserbian

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Wednesday 24 January 24 02:39 GMT (UK) »
Hi Dianne,

Glad I was able to help. If you need anymore information just let me know, but what I wrote is basically all I know.

Would you know where I could find the records of when the girls left the Industrial School, or how I could find that out as I think it would have been around 1910-1911?

I understand that the girls stay at the Industrial School until the age of 16, are they found work to go to after they leave and would there be any records as too who they were employed too?

Suzanne

Offline Tabster

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Wednesday 24 January 24 05:33 GMT (UK) »
There is very little that seems to have survived. Here is a link to the page with your relatives mentioned on it. https://stors.tas.gov.au/SWD37-1-2$init=SWD37-1-2P26. Sorry you will have to cut and paste, cant get it to link. The other information source is TROVE, the digitised Australian newspapers but as this was getting later, often the newspapers didn't report these events any more. Unfortunately there is no social welfare file for the sisters on the Tasmanian Libraries site. Often the girls just disappeared from the records unless they got into trouble, where the event might have been in the papers. They apprenticed the girls out at around 14-16 years old if they were suitable (and even if they were not) especially early on. Very rarely do they mention who apprenticed or boarded out to unless there is a specific file that has survived. Searches of the various BMD records in Australia have located quite a few of the girls I am researching, and a few others turned up in NZ. Have found one who ended up in the UK via New York. If I do find anything during the course of my research, I will let you know. Cheers Dianne.