Author Topic: W.W. 11 Crash site Memorial.  (Read 434 times)

Offline Robneve

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
W.W. 11 Crash site Memorial.
« on: Friday 21 January 22 00:03 GMT (UK) »
On the night of 2/3 August, 1943, a Lancaster Bomber crashed with the crew on board
S / SW of Buxtehude and lies under the Meadows of the Este River.  Only in 2017 was the site positively identified and a memorial erected with the names of the crew in German & English. The location of that memorial is said to be near the crash site in a water meadow near the Este River, between the villages of Daensen & Nindorf.   Between the Covid Pandemic and the fact that I am now 80 years old, it is unlikely I will ever be able to make a personal visit.  I would like to know if any newspaper or resident may have a photograph of this Granite Memorial.  Any help or further advice would be greatly appreciated

Offline cath151

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: W.W. 11 Crash site Memorial.
« Reply #1 on: Friday 21 January 22 07:30 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
Could this possibly be the memorial ?
https://www.komoot.com/highlight/437134

Cathy
Sinnock/Sinnicks...Brighton,Greenwich.
Clements,Coles,Mc Donagh,Rock

Census InformationCrown Copyright from www.national archives.gov.uk

Offline Karen McDonald

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • ** THINK POSITIVE! **
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 21 January 22 14:34 GMT (UK) »
Well done, Cathy!  ;D

@Robneve: If you click on Cathy's link and scroll down, there is a map. Zoom in, and you will see that the location marked is almost exactly in the middle between Nindorf and Daensen.

Date, time, etc. all correlate with what you wrote.

This must be the memorial you are looking for - and there are lots of photos.

And if you do ever get the chance to come over: It is a pretty area, and only a few minutes from Hamburg, which is always worth a visit.  :)

All the best,
Karen
in Wolfenbüttel
McDonald MacDonald M'Donald McGregor MacGregor M'Gregor Twilley Wells Fentiman Carrington Rowe Needham Mitchell Mackie Collingwood Fuller Maides Shilton Hagon Budd

Offline Robneve

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 04 February 22 23:20 GMT (UK) »
My sincere thanks to Cath and Karen.  I now have, I believe, a full and detailed idea of exactly how my my cousin died. The photographs are excellent.  Thank you too for the map.  It has proved most valuable.  It has been a long time, but well worth the wait. 

This easily closes this question. 

Thank you both once again