Author Topic: Any hints/tips for finding out Stoke-on-Trent Pub Landlords (circa 1950-65?)  (Read 282 times)

Offline SiCallear

• RootsChat Senior
  • One day my family history will become Callear!!
    • View Profile
It seems that a branch of my Callear family were pub landlords and we'd like to learn more. Can anyone point me in the direction of any useful resources? The info that we know:

William Edward "Bill" and Millicient "Jean" Callear
The Trent Tavern, Bucknall
Their grandaughter commented that they where the first landlord and landlady - which may coincide with the fact that it opened in 1960 – a day after its previous incarnation on an adjacent site had closed.

Frederick T and Winifred Latham
The Priory Inn, Bucknall
Daughter of the above. Winifred's address is shown on the 1957 death certificate of her father.
Callear/Gallear and a growing list of (mis)spellings

One day my family history will become Callear!!

Online hepburn

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Any hints/tips for finding out Stoke-on-Trent Pub Landlords (circa 1950-65?)
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 22 January 22 20:09 GMT (UK) »
https://www.rootschat.com/links/01r7w/

A snippet on the old/new Trent Tavern.
stoke on trent. carson,wain,leese,shaw,key,scalley,mitchell,<br />james,<br /> nottingham,pollard,grice,<br />derbyshire,vallands,turton,howe.<br /> new zealand,turton<br /> canada,carson.<br />australia,mitchell,scalley,<br />

Online hepburn

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Any hints/tips for finding out Stoke-on-Trent Pub Landlords (circa 1950-65?)
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 22 January 22 20:14 GMT (UK) »
https://www.rootschat.com/links/01r7x/

A photo of the priory....Now demolished.
stoke on trent. carson,wain,leese,shaw,key,scalley,mitchell,<br />james,<br /> nottingham,pollard,grice,<br />derbyshire,vallands,turton,howe.<br /> new zealand,turton<br /> canada,carson.<br />australia,mitchell,scalley,<br />

Offline Capetown

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 22 January 22 21:03 GMT (UK) »
Pub History Society Noticeboard (on the 'net')

Paul Snape : posted 10 November 2020

'The Priory' Greasley Road Bucknall Stoke-on-Trent

'has a newspaper article on the Priory opening dated Friday 27 August 1937'

---

I've called it up on britishnewspapersarchive.co.uk

Evening Sentinel, Friday, Auugst 1937.  It's a whole page with Adverts for the Contractors etc.

'Attractive Features of New Licenced House.

photo of a corner of the Lounge... and a very detailed description of the rooms etc.

Photo of the Pub - with Call for a Nut Brown at the new PRIORY

Starts off... The Saracen's Head Hotel, Hanley, has been closed and the licence transferred to a new house erected by Ansells Brewery Ltd. Greasley-road, Bucknall to be known as The Priory.