Author Topic: Census and 1939 Register questions  (Read 10362 times)

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Family's Links 19th Cent
    • View Profile
Re: Census and 1939 Register questions
« Reply #18 on: Monday 21 February 22 19:47 GMT (UK) »

They are both on the 1939 register, back in Bristol under Strutt (someone sent me this information on a previous thread).
Lisa

Hello Lisa

I have found this thread here searching Strutt (from the information given in the one below and also coming up with Strutt for her married name).

Thread
1921 Census missing place and year of birth
https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=858866.msg7276422#msg7276422
"I'm trying to nail down specific issues from earlier questions about my late Grandmother, Elsie Agnes Barber, for whom I can find no information between her birth in 1919 (London) and her marriage in 1939 (Cornwall) (she used her birth name when she married)."

With the Birth name of Elsie Agnes Barber born circa 1919 - 1920 and a Marriage of 1939 she married a Strutt, John W Strutt, Police Officer per 1939 Register.

In 1939 Elsie gives her Birth date as 18th June 1919, so if that date was correctly given, what does your Birth Certificate you have acquired which should correspond to that Birth Date, say, about the Birth circumstances and Birthplace and if a Father was given?

No 'Mother's Maiden Surname' (same surname as child's) given on GRO Index at gov.uk, to the Birth Index with your Post It Note added on another Index website. However, I have applied before where no Mother's Maiden Surname (MMS) was given on GRO gov.uk and several Official Birth Copies have stated the Father and MMS, but there is a possiblility of her being illegitimate and family later claiming adopted?

Being your Grandmother, and difficulty with a Birthplace, I presume you have seen her Death paperwork?
1) Death Certificate?
2 Her Probate?

My Mother had to state her Aunt's Birthplace and Birth Date, Widow status and late husband when Registering her Death in England, which was recorded on her England Death Certificate (a few years before this).

Transcriptions are often poor, incomplete and very often not the full details, unless your immediate family registered the Death and you already know first-hand "unknown" was entered?

Does her Probate not contain a Will and give the wider family or mention no other family except yours? £1.50
https://probatesearch.service.gov.uk/advanced-search

Mark