Author Topic: Harrison of Staithes N Yorkshire  (Read 1117 times)

Online Spelk

• RootsChat Senior
  • Pit Yacker
    • View Profile
Re: Harrison of Staithes N Yorkshire
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 29 January 22 14:58 GMT (UK) »
Newspaper item - Pall-Mall, London, May 29 1814
Next month will be published by Order of the Lords Commissioners of the Admiralty, in Two Vols. royal 4to. illustrated with views and one very large Folio of Charts, Headlands and Botanical Subjects.
A Voyage to Terra Australis; undertaken for the purpose of completing the Discovery of that vast country, and prosecuted in the years 1801, 1802 and 1803, in His Majesty’s ship the Investigator; and subsequently in the armed vessel Porpoise, and Cumberland Schooner. With an Account of the Shipwreck of the Porpoise, the Arrival of the Cumberland at Mauritius, and Imprisonment of the Commander during six years and a half in that island.
By Matthew FLINDERS, Commander of the Investigator.
Printed by W Bulmer and Co. Cleveland Row, St James’ and published by G and W Nicol, Booksellers to His Majesty, Pall Mall London.

Seems to me a fair chance that William GOODWILL was minding his own business as a seaman or fisherman and was press ganged into joining the navy.

Update to what I said earlier - it looks like quite a few of the Porpoise's crew were discharged on 19th July, Including William Goodwill. So it may be that with the Investigator having been given up as unseaworthy they may have consolidated the crews from the four vessels and discharged a portion of them in Sidney. So William may not have been involved in the shipwreck of the Porpoise.
As for being imprisoned by the French this is only mentioned as being Captain Flinders and the Mate so not the general crew of the Cumberland. Though it may be the newspapers just thought they were not worth mentioning. 

Further update having been reading up about Matthew FLINDERS whose grave was discovered as part of the HS2 work near Euston Station.
Appears that the earlier survey work on the Investigator was by that ship alone and not as part of a fleet with the Porpoise. The Porpoise was around the Cape of Good Hope in late 1800 going by some men having been discharged there as shown by Musters lists. Most men on the Porpoise seem to have been put down as left the service on 19th July 1803  by Certificate of Governor King who I think was in charge at Sydney at the time. From what I have read the Porpoise was not wrecked until a few weeks later in August but that seem like a typical navy trick.Paying them off from when they left Sydney and not for the time after that until they were wrecked and not even for the weeks they spent waiting to be rescued.
I've taken a couple of small clips of what appears to be the last Muster Roll; with William GOODWILL five up from the bottom. Just need to remember how to attach them.

Half an hour of faffing around and i think the problem is not my dotage but that images are not allowed on Lookup Requests boards. Never mind you have the basic data and the images are on FindmyPast for those with a subscription or free trial. May be on Ancestry and MyHeritage etc but I have not looked there.

Offline fletch001

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 30 January 22 05:42 GMT (UK) »
Spelk,
Thank you once again for all your information. Yes, i agree about the possible press ganging of William Goodwill. Whitby and the surrounding area was rife for it. I have read that some of the men used to dress up as women to evade the press gangs, especially around Robin Hoods Bay etc. Maybe that is why he never married Mary Harrison and maybe he did not know about Thomas, his child. I know Mary possibly married a Thomas Abram but not too sure on that.

I'm up early as usual because this is becoming exciting that all this information is coming together, but still, I don't know if I am on the right track or not. It all seems to fit in but there is always an area of doubt.

Regards
Mike
Fletcher, Lofthouse, Tressider, Dale, McAllister, Beaton, McInnes, Comrie

Online Spelk

• RootsChat Senior
  • Pit Yacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 30 January 22 16:42 GMT (UK) »
Newspaper The Courier Friday 25 Jun 1802
Report by Lieutenant Grant who is lately arrived from New south Wales having left Port Jackson in November last.
Governor King had opened a communication with Otahetie for the purpose of supplying the Colony with pork, in which he had been singularly successful. His Majesty’s armed ship Porpoise having made one trip, and the Norfolk having sailed on the same employ previous to Mr Grant’s leaving Sydney.

So that puts the Porpoise, with William GOODWILL, in New South Wales in 1801.

Madras Courier 12 Oct 1803 - an extract from a letter from an Officer of the Hon. Company’s Extra Ship Bridgewater dated Sydney Cove, 7th June 1803
“We leave this place for Bombay, on the arrival of the Calcutta from England. “ ~~ “The Ships Cato, and Rollo, are recently arrived with Prisoners from England”

So the Cato was a transport ship and the Bridgewater belonged to the Honourable? East India Company. I think if it had been a RN ship they would not have just sailed off and left the crews of the Cato and Porpoise. I expect words were said when the crews met up later. Had it been a RN ship I'm sure there would have been a Court Martial.
The Rollo was the ship which went to pick up the survivors from the sand bank and carried on with them to China.

Time I left this topic and "did something useful".

Offline fletch001

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Monday 31 January 22 17:45 GMT (UK) »
Spelk,
Thank you for all the information you have given, it obviously took a lot of your time up. I agree it is time we left this topic regarding William Goodwill.

From what i can presume from this is possibly, William Goodwill and Mary Harrison had an affair or a one off encounter resulting in the birth of Thomas Harrison in 1814. This was after he returned to UK from being shipwrecked on HMS Porpoise in Australia sometime after 1803 when he was discharged.
Mary Harrison's marriage to a Thomas Abram from Staithes is documented so she never married William Goodwill. After that details can only be presumed. Thanking you all for all your help in this matter
Kind Regards to all
Mike Fletcher

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Monday 31 January 22 23:00 GMT (UK) »
Mike, do you have all the info on Thomas Harrison? Not sure if you've followed the search back from him so apologies if I'm repeating something you already know.

The 1871 census has Thomas Harrison age 58 born Staithes, farmer of 15 acres at Hill Top, Glaisdale. I haven’t checked any others in case you already have it.
Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales

Offline fletch001

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday 01 February 22 06:21 GMT (UK) »
Hi Roobarb,
My Thomas Harrison was born in Staithes in 1814 to Mary Harrison, he was baptised in Hinderwell on 4 Aug 1814. On the Yorkshire baptisms for Thomas his father is named as William Goodwill and his mother Mary Harrison. This is the problem, his fathers occupation is down as "single woman", i am presuming this meant Thomas Harrisons mother Mary. Confusing i know but this William Goodwill is the only local person in the area although age difference is big. Still confusing but i can only presume. The only other thing i can think of is William Goodwill was his first names and his surname was Harrison so making Mary Harrison her married name. Hope this helps
Regards
Mike

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Tuesday 01 February 22 10:31 GMT (UK) »
So do you think that because Thomas's father was named on the baptism that he would have taken the name Goodwill? Is it not possible that he used his mother's maiden name (Harrison) throughout his life ?
Hope I'm not confusing this further!
Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales

Offline fletch001

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Tuesday 01 February 22 16:48 GMT (UK) »
Roobarb,
No idea, i only have the information which is available. Thomas married a Hannah Mead in Danby 1841 and had 4 children, he past away in Glaisdale 1888.
Regards
Mike