Author Topic: John Cramp 1762 - 1809  (Read 949 times)

Offline horselydown86

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: John Cramp 1762 - 1809
« Reply #9 on: Friday 28 January 22 04:50 GMT (UK) »
There is probable information regarding this Cramp family in the National Archive catalogue and in the London Gazette Archive.

I suggest you read all of this and then do some work in the Newspaper archives (BNA/findmypast) on the names and addresses.  You will have to pay to read full newspaper articles but a lot can sometimes be gleaned from the basic search results.

Also put the addresses into searches in any relevant archive.  See who else is associated with them in period.

Once you have names, see if they have wills.

Here is the TNA search I used:    http://www.rootschat.com/links/01r8f/

Offline agray1949

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 28 January 22 16:06 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for this latest information, I have had a quick look at the link to TNA search & it is quite helpful in respect of his will, where it helped with some wording I was not sure about.
Now that I/we have established that John Cramp is not my wife's 4 x great grandfather I will park his research to one side temporarily & come back to it at a later date.
What I now think has happened is that John (possibly) married Elizabeth Badham in 1783. She (possibly) died in 1785.
He then (possibly) married Elizabeth Hyde in 1787. It was this Elizabeth who was the mother of the 4 children Ann (1788 - 1788), John (1790), Elizabeth (1792) & Mary (1797). She then died in 1798 while having another unnamed child.
John then married Elizabeth Cramp in 1800 who already had a child called Ann.
It was this Ann who was mentioned in John's will of 1809 as "Daughter in Law" & went on to marry William Edward Jury in 1812 & Elizabeth 1792 was a witness at her marriage.
Ann's death in 1841 is taken from the burial record so I will obtain her death certificate to confirm who registered it & also check her age as that could alter her birth year.

Offline horselydown86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 28 January 22 16:53 GMT (UK) »
A reason to learn as much about the Cramps as possible is that there may be a clue in their documents which will help to identify the maiden family or the first husband of the widow Elizabeth Cramp who married John Cramp in 1800.

Offline agray1949

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 28 January 22 16:58 GMT (UK) »
Yes I will tackle that subject.

Offline adief/CGH

• RootsChat Extra
  • SPERO MELIORA
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 22 April 22 23:10 BST (UK) »
Reading through this thread has me intrigued.  William Edward Jury and wife Ann Cramp were my 3x great grandparents. William, a carman,  worked from premises in Commercial Road, Whitechapel.  He died at a young age, 31 I believe  while Ann may have remarried and continued the business, I have yet to research this.  I am descended through their son, John Cramp Jury ( 1819-1893.) 
Taylor Weston-S-Mare Somerset
Staples Bleadon/Kenn SMST
Chalmers Musselburgh/Edinburgh
Jury Stepney/Whitechapel /Gt Yarmouth, Norwich Norfolk
Dawson Falkirk
Kidner Somerset                   
Moffat musselburgh/Leytonstone/Wanstead
Fordham  Lewes/ Cambs
Stevens Sussex
Buchan. St Ninians/Edinburgh
Cramp.  Stepney/ Whitechapel 1790's

Offline agray1949

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 23 April 22 11:55 BST (UK) »
William & Ann were my wife's 3 x Great Grandparents & she is also descended from John Cramp Jury.
Our tree differs from you in the fact that we have William dying in 1830 aged 40 & Ann dying in 1841 age 53 & she did not remarry (as far as I can see)