Author Topic: "Cytherean" - term used in Scottish newspaper 1861  (Read 360 times)

Offline loobylooayr

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
"Cytherean" - term used in Scottish newspaper 1861
« on: Saturday 29 January 22 17:20 GMT (UK) »
Hiya,

I'm doing some research, looking at newspaper reports in Ayrshire newspapers in 1860s.

I've come across a report of an assault -
"Marion Leslie, a Cytherean, pled guilty to assaulting the wife of Francis McGinty, a labourer..."

I wasn't sure what a Cytherean was or meant ??? A search online has informed me the term relates to : the planet Venus, the Greek island Cythera, Aphrodite/Cytherea goddess of love.
So, would the use of the word "Cytherean" in the above newspaper quote be a delicate euphemism for the word - prostitute? 
If so, it's a new one to me.
Looby :)

Online RJ_Paton

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Cuimhnichibh air na daoine bho'n d'thainig sibh
    • View Profile
Re: "Cytherean" - term used in Scottish newspaper 1861
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 29 January 22 18:11 GMT (UK) »
Apparantly it was also used in 18th Century Erotic Literature for amongst other things defining a prostitute.

It's not a term I've come across before and it's usage to define an accused is very strange - usually Victorian newspapers are much more graphic in their descriptions of alleged criminals

Offline manukarik

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 29 January 22 18:12 GMT (UK) »
Hiya,

I'm doing some research, looking at newspaper reports in Ayrshire newspapers in 1860s.

I've come across a report of an assault -
"Marion Leslie, a Cytherean, pled guilty to assaulting the wife of Francis McGinty, a labourer..."

I wasn't sure what a Cytherean was or meant ??? A search online has informed me the term relates to : the planet Venus, the Greek island Cythera, Aphrodite/Cytherea goddess of love.
So, would the use of the word "Cytherean" in the above newspaper quote be a delicate euphemism for the word - prostitute? 
If so, it's a new one to me.

This seems to agree with your supposition:

https://www.jstor.org/stable/284241

It does suggests that it became a euphemism for a high-class prostitute in the 18th century …
Clarkson, Tolladay, Prevost, Killick, Hicks

Offline loobylooayr

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 29 January 22 19:10 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Falkryn - I'd never seen the word before - the Victorian journalist is definitely trying not to upset delicate sensibilities.

Thanks for the link, manukarik - I'll have a read after dinner. Interesting that the term was used for high-class prostitutes  ;) - because Marion would not be in that league.