Author Topic: Jennie Mac Arthur and Benjamin Thomas m.1900 - Manchester  (Read 898 times)

Offline StephenEThomas

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Jennie Mac Arthur and Benjamin Thomas m.1900 - Manchester
« Reply #9 on: Monday 31 January 22 22:00 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks Monica, I'll take a look. I've not found anything that looks like possible death records so I will dive into this one and see.

Steve

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 31 January 22 22:23 GMT (UK) »
The one in Cogan Street is listed as a wine merchant in 1891 and as a ship steward in 1881, but what looks like his daughter Jane/Jean is recorded there in the 1901 census with her older sister Margaret Richmond McArthur.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline StephenEThomas

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 01 February 22 00:05 GMT (UK) »
The one in Cogan Street is listed as a wine merchant in 1891 and as a ship steward in 1881, but what looks like his daughter Jane/Jean is recorded there in the 1901 census with her older sister Margaret Richmond McArthur.

Yes, I really liked this one right up to the point she was still there in 1901! I am half clinging to the fantasy that she had run away pregnant the year before and her sister added her to the census even though she wasn't really there, but I know it is extremely unlikely and practically impossible to prove.