Author Topic: Alexander Muirson & Margaret Urquhart  (Read 943 times)

Offline Eleanor Rigby

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Alexander Muirson & Margaret Urquhart
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 01 February 22 02:04 GMT (UK) »
Hi there,
Yes, I agree with you.  The "James" inserted in-between  Alexander and Muirson is incorrect and I have asked Mardi Muirson to remove this.  I believe the adding of the marriage of James Muirson to Elizabeth Fletcher in 1841 is incorrect and I have also asked for that to be removed.  On the marriage certificate, James occupation is recorded as a Mariner and Alexander Muirson was a farmer.   Unfortunately I have come to a dead end for this James Muirson...no death records in Australia and as I do not have an age for him it is hard to research any other records.   James does not match up with any other James I have in Australia.
I will be submitting notes for Alexander's daughter, Margaret Muirson,  born in 1832, once I have double checked all my facts.  After the 1832:  Kirk Session Minutes for Avoch  12 Nov 1832
“The moderator intimated . . .  that he called this meeting owing to a report that Margaret Urquhart of the parish of Ferintosh was with child in fornication. She being called . . . declares that Alexander Muirson, Farmer of Kinkell is the father of the child with which she is pregnant . . .”
 Complete session record available to read for free on Scotlands People
After this Alexander Muirson disappears and I can not find any more mention of him until, 1873:   Margaret Muirson (dau. of Alexander Muirson & Margaret Urquhart marries Donald Graham 32yrs, Farm Servant, Widower.  It states that Margret was 36, Domestic Servant and a Spinster, but birth records indicates she 41yrs.  area: Ross-shire, Alexander Muirson is recorded as a Farmer and deceased.  “On the 25th of November 1873 at 12 Ness Bank, Inverness after Banns according to the rites of the Free Church of Scotland Donald Graham 37 farm servant, widower of Hillhead, Forres.  His Parents, Duncan Graham farm servant, deceased and Mary Graham m/s Sinclair. Married Margaret Muirson 36 Domestic Servant, Spinster Her Parents, Alexander Muirson Farmer deceased and Margaret Muirson m/s Urquhart. Minister David Sutherland Witnesses David Urquhart and Duncan Graham.”
•   Jean (Mackenzie) Muirson – check birthplace details.  Second, it says that Jean Mackenzie was born at Gairlochy, County of Inverness, and that her father was Hector Mackenzie of Gairloch. Gairlochy and Gairloch are two completely different places. Gairlochy is on the Caledonian Canal a few miles north of Fort William in the parish of Kilmonivaig, County of Inverness. Gairloch is a parish in Wester Ross, County of Ross and Cromarty. Gairloch and Gairlochy are also over 100 miles apart. - I will look into this, thank you.
I have commented on the Wikitree, adding some details and challenging the assertion that it was 'your' Catherine Muirson who married Hugh Heggerty. That was a completely different Catherine Muirson/Murison/Muirison, who was 12 or 13 years younger than 'yours', and born in Peterhead, Aberdeenshire, not in Urquhart and Logie Wester (or Ferintosh) in Ross and Cromarty.
Catherine Muirson - Profile manager: Julie Muirson private message [send private message]
Profile last modified 30 Jan 2022 | Created 9 Nov 2018 | Last significant change:
30 Jan 2022
22:33: Anne Burgess edited the Biography for Catherine Muirson (1823-aft.1861). (Baptism from Scotland's People, index to baptisms before 1855) [Thank Anne for this | 1 thank-you received]
Biography
Catherine was born in 1823. She was the daughter of Thomas Muirson and Jean MacKenzie. She passed away about 1860. [1] Catherine emigrated to Australia with four of her siblings in 1838. In 1848 she returned to Scotland. She ultimately married Hugh Heggerty.

Sources
↑ Unsourced family tree handed down to Julie Muirson.
Passenger list of the St George to Sydney in 1838
1823, Feby 25. Catherine l d to Thomas Muirson, Tacksman, Bishop Kinkell, and to his wife Jean Mackenzie: Bo 26th Jany and baptd by Mr J MDond. [Urquhart and Logie Wester Parish Register]

Recorded as Catherine Morrison, Sister-in-law, aged 27, born Ferintosh, Ross and Cromarty, in the 1851 census in the household of Alexander Stewart and his wife Christian Morrison/Muirson in Inverness.

Do you have the marriage record for the Catherine Muirson that married Hugh Hegarty?  Is that how you have come to this conclusion?  I was unaware of the latest notes to WikiTree.
Thanks again for your help.  It is good to get records accurate.

I have seen a copy of Sir Hector's will, very challenging reading!!  From what I can gather, most of the estate went to his eldest son, Francis Alexander Mackenzie (who became the 5th Baronet)
Regards
Kaye

Offline peacekeeper

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Alexander Muirson & Margaret Urquhart
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 01 February 22 11:30 GMT (UK) »
I have the birth record from Scotlands People of Margaret Muirson. It is in the Parish of Avoch.
"Birth Nov 19 1832 Bap Nov 22 Muirson Margaret (illegitimate) father Alexander Muirson Kinkell farmer mother Margaret Urquhart."
Alexander appears to play no further role in Margaret's life as her mother always remains Margaret Urquhart and he is never in any of the census records with the family.
In  Margaret Muirson's marriage record in 1873  Alexander Muirsonis referred to as her father deceased.