Author Topic: How Oz are you?  (Read 812 times)

Offline nudge67

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
How Oz are you?
« on: Sunday 30 January 22 22:08 GMT (UK) »
been looking at the fan chart on Family Search with the highlighted birthplaces. Interesting to see in that format how many Australian born ancestors I have. Being a 6th generation Australian, I have 23 in total:

2/2 parents (both living)
4/4 grandparents (b. 1910-1921)
7/8 great-grandparents (b. 1872-1895)
9/16 great-great-grandparents (b. 1842-1868)
1/32 great-great-great-grandparents (Emily Hornsby b. 1843)

All born in South Australia, I might add. Thomas Waye b. 1842 is my earliest Aussie-born ancestor.

How about you?
NSW Convict 1836: Peter WIFFIN (alias VIVIAN)
VDL Convict 1841: Richard REES
SA Pioneers (<1847): Hornsby, Wallis, Willoughby, Floate, Mills, Chesson, Degenhardt.
SA Old Colonists (<1857): Messenger, Tyler, McFeat, Ladner, Edwards, Cassidy, Rhodes, Shaw, Waye, Sibly.
SA Colonists (<1901): Jones, Pike, Bowyer, Davey.

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: How Oz are you?
« Reply #1 on: Monday 31 January 22 00:10 GMT (UK) »
I think there are some rootschatters with Indigenous Australian ancestors so they’ll beat most of us by a few thousand years.  :)

How Oz are you?
My earliest born in Australia were only great grandparents, so ‘not very’ is my answer.  ;D

Offline phenolphthalein

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 31 January 22 05:45 GMT (UK) »
Well said Ruskie. 
But can I also point out that how many ancestors you have is also determined by their age at procreation. My grandmother's grandmother was born in Parramatta in 1825.  This is not many generations but it is rather a number of years.

If your ancestors persisted in having children as mere teenagers then of course you will have many more generaations than those who persisted in having their children in their late 30s 40s or even 50s.

Genealogy should be about discovering the truth about your ancestors -- not just accepting random records that might fit or point scoring.

Regards
pH

Online Nanna52

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Edwin WB Vincent, my actor, (1881-1940)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 31 January 22 06:25 GMT (UK) »
My first Australian born relative was George James my great uncle born in 1852 in Ballarat.  My great grandparents arrived on our shores February 2nd, 1852.  My grandfather was number 11 in the family born in 1878, he was already an uncle.  He was a slow starter and thirty-eight when my mother was born.  My mother was thirty-five when she had me so another gap.
James -Victoria, Australia originally from Keynsham, Somerset.
Janes - Keynsham and Bristol area.
Heale/Hale - Keynsham, Somerset
Vincent - Illogan/Redruth, Cornwall.  Moved to Sculcoates, Yorkshire; Grass Valley, California; Timaru, New Zealand and Victoria, Australia.
Williams somewhere in Wales - he kept moving
Ellis - Anglesey

Gedmatch A327531

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 31 January 22 06:33 GMT (UK) »
Good point about dates pH.

My great grandparents years of birth (the first generations born in Australia) are: 1884, 1887, 1887 and 1889.

The other lot arrived much later.  :)

Added: I think there are some rootschatters who are descended from first and second fleeters.

Offline nudge67

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 31 January 22 06:57 GMT (UK) »
Yes, European settlement in Australia had existed for almost half a century before my lot got here there could be some with no indigenous ancestry who are 9th or 10th generation born here. That's what I was hoping to see.

I read somewhere that in Welsh and Cornish cultures you were accepted as indigenous if your family had been there from 4-7 generations, regardless of your origin.

Interesting when you get generational overlap, as you see with my 2g-grandpa Thomas Waye (b.1842) and my 3g-grandma Emily Hornsby (b. 1843)

I have to admit I got all excited when the chart as I first saw it showed me an 18th century Jamaican ancestor! turned out to be an error.

N.
NSW Convict 1836: Peter WIFFIN (alias VIVIAN)
VDL Convict 1841: Richard REES
SA Pioneers (<1847): Hornsby, Wallis, Willoughby, Floate, Mills, Chesson, Degenhardt.
SA Old Colonists (<1857): Messenger, Tyler, McFeat, Ladner, Edwards, Cassidy, Rhodes, Shaw, Waye, Sibly.
SA Colonists (<1901): Jones, Pike, Bowyer, Davey.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 31 January 22 07:21 GMT (UK) »

Added: I think there are some rootschatters who are descended from first and second fleeters.

Agree, fairly sure there are several regulars on the boards and/or in the Chat room.

My earliest migrants to NSW came free, 1790s from Scotland.   Earliest convicts  also from Scotland, 1810s.   On the NSW 1828 census I can find direct lines on both my tree and my husband's tree.

I am fortunate,  several of my ancestors were military,  paper pushers ... settled in NSW and kept up the paper pushing efforts.   Then 1850s and the commencement of civil registration NSW bdm.... so more clerical bods .... all part of the NSW Lands Office, .... so until mid 1970s NSWBDM was actually part of the Land Titles Office functions. 

So all my siblings born NSW,  all our offspring, their children and now their children's children ... NSW born.

Both my parents were from large rural NSW families, my youngest living aunt/uncle born NSW 1928.  Their oldest sibling (now deceased) born before federation.   My oldest living from my parents generation, born NSW 1917.   He is very alive, alert and very knowledgeable. 

My 4 grandparents .... all born NSW 1870s and 1880s.

All 8 ... NSW born before the gold rushes

16 .... mostly NSW ... 

32 ...  back to the era of Lachlan Macquarie 1810 - 1821   so many NSW born.

Great Question.  The important aspect to my research is that I was introduced to it back in 1950s as a child, and supported by my grandparents and by my Second Class 2A infants teacher.  Her grandfather had nursed her as a baby.  He had been transported under a Life Sentence.   NOT at any time until I was an adult did I ever hear or read of any tainted blood or stain.  I was at school with children whose parents were displaced by Hitler's Wars.  I was at school with children who Dads were ex Changi,  at school with Aboriginal children,  with Tykes, Prodoes,  7th Days, ... with Whallopers children, with SP betting operators Publicans sly trading Sundays ...and we all got on.   

JM  one finger typing  sorry for typos.

Edit for spelling ... some is my fingers but some is predictative thingy.

The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline fletcherandhook

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 01 February 22 14:45 GMT (UK) »
Not very.  Only 4th generation born in Australia on my mum's side through her
mother and grandmother who was born in 1857 in Mt Blackwood, Victoria of Scots immigrants.

My dad was a ex-RAF serviceman who emigrated arrived at Fremantle on 25 Jan 1947 (from his last posting at Singapore) as part of a first wave of ten pound poms that tend to be overlooked by the subsequent migrations of the 50s and 60s.  The 10 pound fee was waived.

In March 1946 the Australian and British Governments signed an agreement to provide free passage to Australia for ex-British Servicemen and their dependents.

Offline redmr2red

• RootsChat Veteran
  • 65% of all statistics are made up on the spot
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 24 February 22 00:45 GMT (UK) »
When growing up as a child, I thought I was as Australian as you can get, going back loads of generations.  When beginning to work on my Paternal Family Tree I was shocked to learn my Grandfather was born in England and came here as a 14 year old. Making me a second generation Aussie on my father's side.

Then I did my Maternal Family Tree to discover I had a 4xGreat Grandfather who was transported on the David Collins Expedition in 1803 to Sorrento. He, then in Hobart Town, married the daughter of a First Fleeter who was assigned to Norfolk Island and re-located to Tasmania.

So, acknowledging full respect to the first Indigenous people, that gives me a link to the first Europeans to settle Australia.
Clarence, England then Australia from 1912.
Copeland, England.
Lascelles / Lovett / Stevens, England.
Langford, England (Reading and Southampton).
Kipp / Rigbye / Randall, Germany then Victoria, Australia from 1849.
Boothman / Clifford / Marsden / Johnston in Australia