Author Topic: People who don’t appear in the GRO indexes  (Read 494 times)

Offline stonechat

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
People who don’t appear in the GRO indexes
« on: Sunday 30 January 22 22:17 GMT (UK) »
I guess many of us might have a few of these

My First is Elizabeth Boyce Donaldson, nee Douglas
According to a note in a family book, she died 18/9/1867

This is more or less confirmed by her burial at Linch, Sussex on 24 th September, record suggests she died at Woolbeding. She had been living at Hucksholt Farm on the Uppark Estate
No record of her death on the old or new GRO indexes.

I recently discovered another
Winifred Pullen, born 1.5.1921 according to 1939 register at Windsor according to 1921 census.
A tragic case and there could have been too much going on to register the child.
Mother widowed in WW1 , remarried and 2nd husband just into care for mental problems related to epilepsy, from where he never emerged until his death in 1950
I am sure I have more but these two stand out
Douglas, Varnden, Joy(i)ce Surrey, Clarke Northants/Hunts, Pullen Worcs/Herefords, Holmes Birmingham/USA/Canada/Australia, Jackson Cheshire/Yorkshire, Lomas Cheshire, Lee Yorkshire, Cocks Lancashire, Leah Cheshire, Cook Yorkshire, Catlow Lancashire
See my website http://www.cotswan.com

Offline PaulineJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: People who don’t appear in the GRO indexes
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 30 January 22 22:47 GMT (UK) »
How old would the 1867 decesed have been?
All census look up transcriptions are Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/
======================================
We are not a search engine. We are human beings.

Offline stonechat

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 30 January 22 23:03 GMT (UK) »
How old would the 1867 decesed have been?
32 years and with 6 children, husband died the following year, it was the dispersal of all these children among the families that got me looking at this
Douglas, Varnden, Joy(i)ce Surrey, Clarke Northants/Hunts, Pullen Worcs/Herefords, Holmes Birmingham/USA/Canada/Australia, Jackson Cheshire/Yorkshire, Lomas Cheshire, Lee Yorkshire, Cocks Lancashire, Leah Cheshire, Cook Yorkshire, Catlow Lancashire

Offline Andrew Tarr

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Wanted: Charles Percy Liversidge
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 31 January 22 09:50 GMT (UK) »
Mine is Charles Percy Liversidge, born December 1872 in Flintshire, my grandmother's younger brother.  He can be traced to an insurance company's office in Liverpool in 1903.  That company eventually became part of Aviva, whose archivist has confirmed that he was an Inspector of Agents paid £125 a year.  After that he just disappears.

Family folklore says he 'put his head in a gas oven'; if that happened in England I would have expected a record.  The family had connections with Ireland, so he may have gone there but might have shown up in 1911 (my mother did) ?  Of course all kinds of scenarios can be imagined - he might have changed his identity, for instance (don't know how to check that)  :o

Did suicides appear in the same register as 'normal' deaths ?
Tarr, Tydeman, Liversidge, Bartlett, Young

Offline stonechat

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 31 January 22 10:02 GMT (UK) »

Did suicides appear in the same register as 'normal' deaths ?

Yes,I h have three suicides and they appear in the normal registers