Author Topic: Espacenet inventor search.  (Read 656 times)

Offline Fresh Fields

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • If only they could talk !
    • View Profile
Espacenet inventor search.
« on: Monday 31 January 22 00:40 GMT (UK) »
Hello from down under.

Many moons ago I researched some 200 patents via the Espacenet patent service.  But not today.

These days Espacenet advanced search is so technical with options, that I'm lost.

An Australian and a Kiwi are looking for patents, and or patent applications, where one:-

William Leonard WLKINSON, is named. Date range say 1900 - 1940. And in particular any mention of synchronized firing of aircraft mounted weapons, and other engineered apparatus.

Any tips appreciated.

Original poster "R WILKS" has threads re subject on Au, NZ, & USA boards.

Alan.
Early Settlers & Heritage. Family History.

Offline bluesofa

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Espacenet inventor search.
« Reply #1 on: Monday 31 January 22 14:23 GMT (UK) »
I've not seen Espacenet before, and on a brief foray couldn't find anything relevant for you, for example with this search

https://worldwide.espacenet.com/patent/search?q=ia%20all%20%22William%20Wilkinson%22%20AND%20pd%20within%20%221900%2C1940%22%20AND%20ftxt%20any%20%22firing%20aircraft%22

If you open this search page, and then turn on the 'Advanced Search" at the top, you see a more graphical representation of the search, which can be tweaked

However, once I had a search up and running, I found the pocket guide useful for working out ways to tweak the search
https://documents.epo.org/projects/babylon/eponet.nsf/0/8C12F50E07515DBEC12581B00050BFDA/$File/espacenet-pocket-guide_en.pdf

So for example, the above search appears in the search bar as:
ia all "William Wilkinson" AND pd within "1900,1940" AND ftxt any "firing aircraft"

and I think can be explained as:
ia (Inventors or applicants, with)
all (words in any order in)
"William Wilkinson"
AND
pd (publication date)
within
"1900,1940" (i.e. between 1Jan1900 and 31Dec1940)
AND
ftxt (any text field, with)
any (words from)
"firing aircraft"

Not sure if it's easier to adjust the search bar or the graphical search option.

Offline Fresh Fields

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 31 January 22 19:47 GMT (UK) »
Like the sofa.  Good colour.

Thanks for having a play. I don't have the time to perservere. Have already dodged the Omicron community cloud to spend a few hours in the Auckland, Archives NZ reading room, looking up records for the original poster, who's family left NZ for Australia in the 1930's.  This morning I have listened to a half hour family heritage recording, and my interpretation from what was said about the ancestor, working for BROWNINGS on the synchrinized firing project, is that while there may have been some early provisional patents applied for in his name, BROWNINGS became heavily involved, so would expect final patents to be in their name.  Other members of his family appear to have held NZ patents.

Thank you,

Alan.

Offline bluesofa

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile

Offline Fresh Fields

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 01 February 22 09:45 GMT (UK) »
Greetings from Down under.

Many thanks for that. Sorry about my late night typo. ['S]

I'll advise the original poster.  Just looked up Auckland City rates and see the Windmill land his family resided on over 10O years ago is now valued at NZ$160,000,000. Most of whom moved to Australia during the depression.

Alan.

Offline NZfamily

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 01 February 22 13:17 GMT (UK) »
Greetings from Down under.

Many thanks for that. Sorry about my late night typo. ['S]

I'll advise the original poster.  Just looked up Auckland City rates and see the Windmill land his family resided on over 100 years ago is now valued at NZ$160,000,000. Most of whom moved to Australia during the depression.

Alan.

thanks again, Alan

Offline NZfamily

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 02 February 22 01:40 GMT (UK) »