Author Topic: Can anyone help me with a Mary (nee Robinson) Boyce  (Read 905 times)

Offline Kit17

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Can anyone help me with a Mary (nee Robinson) Boyce
« on: Monday 31 January 22 20:13 GMT (UK) »
I have been told that Mary Robinson who married Charles (Charley) Boyce from Londonderry may be related to my Dad's family.  It is thought that she was the daughter of Margaret Ann Robinson born 1909 to William Robinson and Margaret (Maggie) Greer.

I have since found another daughter Mary Margaret born to Margaret Ann and her husband so she couldn't have 2 daughter with the same name.  So now l am confused. 

I can't find any record of a Mary Robinson or a marriage to Charles Boyce. Who possibly married in Letterkenny as that is where Charles was apparently from.

Does anyone have any idea where else l could look to try and find out who these people were and if they are related?

Many thanks
Robinson, Miller, Greer

Offline alpinecottage

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Can anyone help me with a Mary (nee Robinson) Boyce
« Reply #1 on: Monday 31 January 22 20:38 GMT (UK) »
It is not impossible that a couple could have two daughters named Mary and Mary Margaret. The second could have been known as Maggie for example.  Some Irish families had a very strong attachment to the name Mary.
However, it is better practice to start with your own family and work back to find all the siblings in each generation, rather than trying to link strangers to your tree, especially with such a common surname as Robinson.
Perrins - Manchester and Staffs
Honan - Manchester and Ireland
Hogg - Manchester 19 cent
Anderson - Newcastle mid 19 cent
Boullen - London then Carlisle then Manchester
Comer - Manchester and Galway

Offline Kit17

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 31 January 22 20:50 GMT (UK) »
Thank you.  I have managed to find most of the children but this information was passed to me by someone who knew Mary Boyce and told me that she had married a Charles or Charley (Charlie) and she was the daughter of Margaret Ann Robinson but l can't find any record of either Mary or Charley.

I have found 9 children who were born to Margaret Ann and her husband and they had a daughter called Mary.

This Mary Robinson/Boyce was present at her Grandfather's death although it did say she was his daughter and the person who gave me the details was sure she was Margaret Ann's daughter but l don't think that can be right and have no idea how to try and trace her.

I only know that the man she married was Charlie Boyce and he came from Letterkenny.
Robinson, Miller, Greer

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile

Offline Kit17

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 31 January 22 20:58 GMT (UK) »
Yes it is and she doesn't appear on any records l have found so far.

Margaret Ann who is on the census has been identified as her mother but l think they are confusing her with someone else.
Robinson, Miller, Greer

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 31 January 22 21:02 GMT (UK) »
Is this the mother,  Margaret, who died in very sad circumstances in 1914.
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/deaths_returns/deaths_1914/05295/4472160.pdf

This is confusing as you mention 9 children.

Offline Kit17

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 31 January 22 21:22 GMT (UK) »
No she may well be the grandmother.

The family friend who gave me the information said that Maggie Greer/Robinson who died in 1914 had a daughter Margaret Ann and Margaret Ann is said to have had a daughter Mary Robinson who married Charlie Boyce from Letterkenny.

I have manage to make contact with the Granddaughter of Margaret Ann and she gave me the details of all 9 children born to Margaret Ann but she had no knowledge of this Mary Boyce.  She said that Margaret Ann did have a daughter Mary Margaret born in 1935 but this is not the Mary the friend is talking about as the father and daughter didn't speak after her marriage so her children would probably never have met their Grandfather so we have no idea who this Mary can be.
Robinson, Miller, Greer

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 31 January 22 21:28 GMT (UK) »
Not quite understanding this but …
Are you saying that Maggie/Margaret Anne Robinson who was born in 1909 had a daughter called Mary Robinson?

Is this the death of William Robinson - informant Mary Robinson, daughter - 1956
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/deaths_returns/deaths_1956/04414/4150712.pdf