Author Topic: Scott family conundrum  (Read 779 times)

Offline DuncanZA

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Scott family conundrum
« on: Monday 31 January 22 21:55 GMT (UK) »
Hi everyone,
I am hoping someone can assist with advice on what route to go next.

Margaret Scott was married to James Bennie and resided in Glasgow. I have never been able to find a marriage for them, but they must have been married as both their sons are listed as lawful. Her first known son, John, was born in 1796, the second Thomas, was born in 1798. James is listed as a smith in James' baptism and a Sawyer in Thomas'.

John's baptism was witnessed by John Scott and James Ramage.
Thomas' baptism was witnessed by James Swinton and James Thornton.

Other than these baptisms and John's death notice, I have found no further information on James. Margaret on the other hand was listed in her son, Thomas', will. He died on 28 January 1853.

Looking for her in the 1841 Census, I found Margert living with a Catherine Bennie and Duncan Scott in Taylor Street in . Margaret's age is listed as 65, Catherine's as 19 and Duncan's as 48. Margaret is listed as not being born in the county.

The Catherine is her granddaughter, daughter of Thomas by his first wife. Catherine is specifically mentioned in his will as being entitled to items that once belonged to her mother.

Digging deeper into Duncan Scott he is listed in the 1851 census as a portioner staying with his brother-in-law, Andrew Macnair in Barony. In the 1871 census he is an Annuitant staying with his sister, Margaret McNair.  In the 1871 census Margaret is 75 so born around 1796, and Duncan in 78, born around 1793 (both in Glasgow). considering this the only baptisms I found that would fit both, make them the children of John Scott and Catherine McFarlane.

John Scott, Tilemaker, married Catherine McFarlane in Glasgow on 27 November 1791. A proclamation was made on 13 March 1789 in her parish of Cathcart. This states that he was from the parish of Eastwood in Renfrewshire.

He does not survive to the 1841 census so I do not even have a rough date to when he was born. He will dated 1810 lists his heirs as his children, Duncan, Jean and Margaret Scott.

That all being said I have no idea what else to do to try and track them down. Margaret's age in 1841 would be an estimate.

Any advice on other avenues I could try would be greatly appreciated.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: Scott family conundrum
« Reply #1 on: Monday 31 January 22 22:35 GMT (UK) »
In the deaths index at Scotland's People the index from 1855 to 1910-ish includes the maiden surname of the mother of the deceased if it was known to the informant.

There are five deaths of Scotts with mother's maiden surname McFarlane in the index, including Duncan who died in 1878 aged 85.

Margaret McNair or Scott died in 1871 aged 75. No mother's maiden surname in index.

considering this the only baptisms I found that would fit both, make them the children of John Scott and Catherine McFarlane.
In this case you are probably right, but in general it is never safe to assume that, just because you can only find one candidate in the old church registers, they are necessarily the right person, because there are so many people whose baptism records have not survived.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline wivenhoe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 31 January 22 22:44 GMT (UK) »
"Margaret on the other hand was listed in her son, Thomas', will. He died on 28 January 1853."

How is Margaret mentioned?. When was the Will written?

Offline DuncanZA

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 01 February 22 04:27 GMT (UK) »
"Margaret on the other hand was listed in her son, Thomas', will. He died on 28 January 1853."

How is Margaret mentioned?. When was the Will written?

The will was written on 5 June 1840 and filed 3 June 1853. He lists family members and the shares of his estate that they were to get. He leaves "one part of share to my mother margaret Scott or Bennie"

Offline DuncanZA

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 01 February 22 04:38 GMT (UK) »
In the deaths index at Scotland's People the index from 1855 to 1910-ish includes the maiden surname of the mother of the deceased if it was known to the informant.

There are five deaths of Scotts with mother's maiden surname McFarlane in the index, including Duncan who died in 1878 aged 85.

Margaret McNair or Scott died in 1871 aged 75. No mother's maiden surname in index.

considering this the only baptisms I found that would fit both, make them the children of John Scott and Catherine McFarlane.
In this case you are probably right, but in general it is never safe to assume that, just because you can only find one candidate in the old church registers, they are necessarily the right person, because there are so many people whose baptism records have not survived.

Hi Forfarian, I did consider that, but I consider that situation to be unlikely as it is further supported by the burial record as that was the only one I could find for a Duncan Scott with the right age in the right time period. I am keeping an open mind with regards to the possibility that I am missing something, but at this stage, all evidence seems to point to this being the correct family.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 01 February 22 10:30 GMT (UK) »
I did say I think you are probably right on this occasion, as long as you are aware of the potential pitfall of assuming that "only" necessarily means "correct" :)
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Ian Nelson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 01 February 22 14:08 GMT (UK) »
Quote;
 " John Scott, Tilemaker, married Catherine McFarlane in Glasgow on 27 November 1791. A proclamation was made on 13 March 1789 in her parish of Cathcart. This states that he was from the parish of Eastwood in Renfrewshire."

just a small point ... They could have been next-door neighbours, but different churches,  Eastwood Parish is adjacent to Cathcart Parish, the boundary being the White Cart burn / stream / river.
cheers, Ian
Norfolk, Nelsons of Gt Ryburgh, Gooch, Howman, COLLISONS,  Ainger, Couzens, Batrick (Norfolk & Dorset), Tubby ( also of Yorkshire) Cathcarts of Ireland, Lancashire & Isle of Wight) Dickinsons of Morecambe and Lancaster, Wilson of Poulton-le-Sands and Broughton.  Wilson - Ffrance of Rawcliffe,  Mitchells of Isle of Wight. Hair of Ayrshire, Williamson of Tradeston, Glasgow. Nelsons in Australia with Haywards Heath connections.

Offline greeneyedgirl

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 02 February 22 04:46 GMT (UK) »
Hi DuncanZA, welcome. For James Bennie birth here are just a few I found before work.

James Bennie birth:

21 Apr 1765 Linlithgow
F. John  M. Margaret McAlpine

baptism: 2 Jan 1765 Fintry,Sterling
F. William  M. Christian Din

7 May 1763 Glasgow
F. William  M. Ann Anderson

5 July 1746  bp 9 July 1746 Humbie,Haddington
F. James  M. Suphea Hardie

11 Feb 1750 Glasgow
F. William  M. Margaret Clark

There are many,many for James Bennie on familysearch.org where I found these.Those were just to give you an idea of what they have.It mught also be worth checking marriages for James &  Margaret as well.Did find a Robert &Jessie Scott marrying Glasgow around time James & Margaret would have married so they too may be there. I only did a cursory look as getting ready for work.Hope this helps, Im

Offline greeneyedgirl

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 02 February 22 04:47 GMT (UK) »
Now I know I'm rushing. Its Kim