Author Topic: Ancestry DNA Help in understanding results  (Read 395 times)

Offline Malshie

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Ancestry DNA Help in understanding results
« on: Wednesday 02 February 22 15:46 GMT (UK) »
My husband has just received his Ancestry DNA results.

Showing 58% Northwestern Europe
England
Scotland
Sweden and Denmark
Ireland
Norway

He has been researching his family tree, managing to get back to the 1700’s. His family on his fathers side originated from Prague in the Czech Republic.

I would of thought this would of been shown on his DNA result.

Any ideas please?
 malshie

Larkin     Jarrow,Stockton on Tees/Co. Monaghan
Doudican Jarrow, Sligo
Donathy,  Jarrow,
Brown,     Renfrew, Port Glasgow/Jarrow,
McMahon, South Dublin, St James, Wallsend
O`Neill      Drumnaquoile,Workington,N/Castle
Connor      Dunturk, Workington,   “. “

Offline RustyFrog

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Ancestry DNA Help in understanding results
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 03 February 22 17:34 GMT (UK) »
Hi Malshie

I love all the Ethnicity / Admixture stuff, but what you need to know is that the results are just estimates, and if your husband tested with a different company the results would be different.  The reason is that each company uses a different reference population  to match people to different populations. That reference population may be drawn from existing testers whose trees show all 4 grandparents in a particular area - and not all trees are accurate.  They also try to find people to test in places where their reference population is limited or non-existant.  Large scale scientific DNA studies may also been included, as well as ancient DNA samples from archaeological sites. But it's actually quite difficult to pinpoint specific places accurately so they tend give results in broader regional terms. Ancestry can narrow it down a bit to what they call 'Communities'.  My Ancestry DNA mix is actually very similar to your husband's, with a little bit of Irish thrown in. They have put me in the 'East of England' one, and more specifically East Anglia and East Suffolk, but I know my family have been in these areas since the 16th C so that makes sense. Hampshire and the Isle of Wight however is a bit of a mystery.  On My Heritage I've acquired 5.6% Greek & S. Italian, while my Scandinavian drops from 11% - 3.5%, and my Eng & NW Europe goes from 54% (Anc) to 89.7%

So it could be that your husband's Czech ancestors don't show up because there aren't enough samples from the area they came from, or even the country as a whole.  Or it could be because he hasn't inherited enough DNA from them to meet Ancestry's threshold of 8 cM to be included as a match.  Ancestry's DNA test (and most other company tests) will take you back 5-7 generations - so 3rd-5th Gt Grandparents.  You also have to take into account that, although you inherit 50% of your DNA from each parent, the amount from each preceeding generation is only approximate.  So in theory you get 25% from each grandparent, but in reality, because of the random way DNA is passed on, that might be 27%, 24%, 23%, 26%.  By the time you get to 3rd-4th Gt Grandparents there will be ancestors from whom you inherited no DNA. I don't know how many generations back your husband's Czech connection is, but that could be another reason.

DNA is a complicated subject, but if you're interested in finding out more you could try 'Tracing Your Ancestors Using DNA - A Guide for Family Historians' Edited by Graham S. Holton, 2019, Pen & Sword publishers.  He's one of the tutors on a couple of online DNA courses I did with Strathclyde Uni - good courses, but not cheap.  There are also blogs that help explain it all.

I hope that helps and sorry if it's a bit technical, I do tend to waffle a bit :)

Chris aka RustyFrog