Author Topic: Help to find German ancestor pls who emigrated to England  (Read 1497 times)

Offline nicdigby

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Help to find German ancestor pls who emigrated to England
« on: Wednesday 02 February 22 22:11 GMT (UK) »
Hello,
I am trying to find info about Rose/Rosa CORK and have hit a blank wall as to her whereabouts before 1888 and when /how she came to England...also her parents/siblings. I'd be so grateful for any pointers.

She is on the English censuses 1901 and 1911 as surname Hainsworth, having married John Mason Hainsworth 5 Oct 1888 in Batley, Yorkshire. Marriage cert says she was a servant and her father was a labourer, Jacob CORK. I have found her children but the only clue to her origin or previous whereabouts are:

1901/1911 Census. Give her birth location as Winsberg. As her marriage cert was signed with her mark I think it unlikely that she was able to spell and so the location is incorrectly spelt as the census record taker heard it and anglicised it: I think therefore it's Weinsberg outside Stuttgart.

I have not been able to find out how she sailed to England; ships between European ports not on Ancestry? Does anyone know how I might find her emigration/immigration?

Her father was given on the marriage cert as Jacob Cork. The witnesses at the wedding were not Corks so perhaps he had died or stayed in Germany?

I have tried to change the surname to the German versions of Cook/ Cork which are Koch and Kork. There are plenty of them.

I found a possible marriage of the father: Jacob Friedrich Koch (dob 17 Jul 1836) married Sophia Barbara Erzinger on 9 Nov 1862. In that record (Germany, Select Marriages, 1558-1929)  it says Jacob was born in Haberschlacht which is only 25 km from Weinsberg. So it's the most likely of those that have come up on Ancestry but I cannot prove it.

Have checked FindMyPast and Family Search; no other details.
Other people's Anc trees all stop at Rosa : no parents names.
Have looked on geedbas and geneanert with too many Koch's in Weinberg and none around the same era but I am not sure how to use those two resources.

Would be really grateful of any pointers, tips, and help. Thank you

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
Re: Help to find German ancestor pls who emigrated to England
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 02 February 22 22:25 GMT (UK) »
You won't find any passenger lists of people who crossed the Channel, just those on longer voyages  from America and Australia etc. I was lucky and found my grandfather on the Wuerttemberg Emigration Index which contains names of approximately 60,000 persons applied to leave Germany from late eighteenth century to 1900. I don't know if it was people from all over Germany or just the Wuerttemberg area, which is where my great grandfather came from. I also found a lot of records on FamilySearch.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 02 February 22 23:27 GMT (UK) »
1891 entry Piece 3718  Folio 114

Also shows Birth Place as Winsberg, Germany
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline nicdigby

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 02 February 22 23:41 GMT (UK) »
Thank you both, I shall add the 1891 census.

I just searched the  Wuerttemberg Emigration Index - thank you for this. One vaguely possible entry - Ernestine Marie Koch left the same adminstrative centre (Heilbronn) Sept 1862 for N America. Born 21 Feb 1842 - so 24 years older than Rosa Koch (if that was the surname before anglicised). Maybe an aunt? It's too vague though, nothing definitely linking anyone yet.

Offline davecapps

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 03 February 22 10:58 GMT (UK) »
Were they lutheran or catholic?

Offline nicdigby

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 03 February 22 11:19 GMT (UK) »
Were they lutheran or catholic?

I am afraid I don't know.

Online aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 03 February 22 11:39 GMT (UK) »
I think without more details to start with that it will be difficult to find Rose & her family in German records.

There are these possibilities I found on FamilySearch (probably others as well)-
Rosine Friederike Koch bapt.1863 Auenstein (only about 8 miles south of Weinsberg) but she married in Germany in 1881-
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:QPGG-8V16
Rosina Margretha Koch bapt.1865 Metzingen (almost 60 miles south)
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:QPPJ-WWJF
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Karen McDonald

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • ** THINK POSITIVE! **
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 03 February 22 13:13 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

At the risk of confusing things, Winsberg does actually exist - it is a part of Hamburg.
McDonald MacDonald M'Donald McGregor MacGregor M'Gregor Twilley Wells Fentiman Carrington Rowe Needham Mitchell Mackie Collingwood Fuller Maides Shilton Hagon Budd

Offline nicdigby

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 03 February 22 13:50 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

At the risk of confusing things, Winsberg does actually exist - it is a part of Hamburg.

Ah!! Thank you. Do you think it is big enough that if a census taker asked a person where Rosa was born, the reply would have been Winsberg, or do you think they would have said Hamburg?

I've just found there is also a Windsberg which is different again.  :(