Author Topic: Probate Register  (Read 5069 times)

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Probate Register
« Reply #18 on: Friday 04 February 22 18:23 GMT (UK) »
Has the link changed as I am still getting the "down for maintenance" warning?
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline garibaldired

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 04 February 22 18:30 GMT (UK) »
I'm just getting this message:

There is a problem
HTTP/1.1 404 returned for "https://hmcts.irm31-insight-a-uk.com/nuxeo/api/v1/automation/AC_ExternalUserAccess_FindUser".

Offline Davedrave

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 04 February 22 18:32 GMT (UK) »
Found William Hicken by searching in 1918 for Hic*. This produces 4 pages of results. William Hicken is on page 3. I think one problem is that when a wildcard search produces multiple pages they are neither in alphabetical order or number order!

William

Thanks. How ludicrous! So one can search with a wildcard, but not with the precisely correct parameters. I think a complaint is in order. Talk about “If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it!

Dave :)
ESSEX: Cramphorn Raven Sams Sayers Taylor; GLOS: Beacham/Beauchamp; HERTS: Chamberlain Chuck; LEICS: Allot Bentley Godfrey Greasley Hunt Hurst Jarvis Lane Lea Light Woodward; LINCS: Lambert Mitchell Muse ; STAFFS: Hodgkins Jarvis; SURREY: Light; WARKS: Astley/Chesshire Bradbury Hicken/Hickin Hudson; WORCS: Ballinger Beauchamp Laight

Offline cuffie81

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 04 February 22 18:34 GMT (UK) »
Found William Hicken by searching in 1918 for Hic*. This produces 4 pages of results. William Hicken is on page 3. I think one problem is that when a wildcard search produces multiple pages they are neither in alphabetical order or number order!

There's no need to use a trailing wildcard (*) as they're actually applying one to every search request anyway; it can be seen in the page requests. Something's a bit odd though, using just Hic returns 4 pages and your William is now on page 4.
Anderson Banks Beard Brewer Caves Clarke Clinch Cooling Cuff Denton Gamble Gibson Gunn Hunt Mills Muncey Norris Notzke Reid Robinson Searle Smith Trundle Turner Weedon Wells Wilson

Offline Millmoor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Friday 04 February 22 18:46 GMT (UK) »
It is odd, Cuffie ! I have just done the search again - using Hic* has it on page 3 while using Hic has it on page 4.

It does say Beta at the top of the page " This is a new service - your feedback will help us to improve it". :)

William
Dent (Haltwhistle and Sacriston), Bell and Jetson (Haltwhistle), Postle, Ward, Longstaff, Purvis, Manners, Parnaby and Hardy (Co. Durham), Kennedy and McRobert (Banffshire), Reid(Bathgate), Watson (Wemyss), Graham (Libberton), Sandilands (Carmichael), Munro (Dingwall)

Offline Davedrave

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Friday 04 February 22 21:05 GMT (UK) »
Another problem seems to be that a folio number is required, and I can’t see a folio number recorded against the entry for William Hicken or for another will I want (Thomas Chesshire of Hockley Heath, 1889). (I thought folio numbers were written at the side of the register entry?) An empty folio number box on the order form means the form doesn’t work.
ESSEX: Cramphorn Raven Sams Sayers Taylor; GLOS: Beacham/Beauchamp; HERTS: Chamberlain Chuck; LEICS: Allot Bentley Godfrey Greasley Hunt Hurst Jarvis Lane Lea Light Woodward; LINCS: Lambert Mitchell Muse ; STAFFS: Hodgkins Jarvis; SURREY: Light; WARKS: Astley/Chesshire Bradbury Hicken/Hickin Hudson; WORCS: Ballinger Beauchamp Laight

Offline andrewalston

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My granddad
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Saturday 05 February 22 09:39 GMT (UK) »
Currently "down for essential maintenance."
Looking at ALSTON in south Ribble area, ALSTEAD and DONBAVAND/DUNBABIN etc. everywhere, HOWCROFT and MARSH in Bolton and Westhoughton, PICKERING in the Whitehaven area.

Census information is Crown Copyright. See www.nationalarchives.gov.uk for details.

Offline jonw65

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Saturday 05 February 22 09:59 GMT (UK) »
Another problem seems to be that a folio number is required, and I can’t see a folio number recorded against the entry for William Hicken or for another will I want

A quote posted by me last year!
"Handwritten numbers (folio numbers) shown against some index entries refer to the Registered Bound Volumes where the copy of the will is stored. They are used for locating wills proved in London between 1858 and 1930"

Offline Zoe-Hannah

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Saturday 05 February 22 13:50 GMT (UK) »
I am having the same problem with the probate register, i ordered a will nearly 3 weeks ago, i had an email to say it was ready to view clinked the link to view, but couldn't view as it was down for maintenance, and that the site would be back up 3rd Feb at 3pm, went on site still couldn't tried again this morning, came up again with site down to due to maintanence.

when the site is properly back up and running will i have to re order the will, as you only have 30 days to view and save, or does the 30 days start from when it is downloaded, which obviously I haven't been able to do yet.
Jones, Thomas, Carr, McDougall, Tatlock, Naylor, Gordon, Brentnall, Parry, Brotherton.