Author Topic: Probate Register  (Read 5066 times)

Offline andrewalston

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My granddad
    • View Profile
Re: Probate Register
« Reply #27 on: Saturday 05 February 22 21:22 GMT (UK) »
The time starts when they make it available to you. That would have been when they sent you the email, but with these service interruptions you should have expectations of the period beginning when they stabilise their mess.
Looking at ALSTON in south Ribble area, ALSTEAD and DONBAVAND/DUNBABIN etc. everywhere, HOWCROFT and MARSH in Bolton and Westhoughton, PICKERING in the Whitehaven area.

Census information is Crown Copyright. See www.nationalarchives.gov.uk for details.

Offline Davedrave

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Tuesday 08 February 22 16:27 GMT (UK) »
Am I doing something wrong? I am trying to order the will of Thomas Chesshire of 1889, and filling the order in as per screen shots below. I can’t see a folio number. Do I need to look elsewhere for it, or is there not one?

Dave ???
ESSEX: Cramphorn Raven Sams Sayers Taylor; GLOS: Beacham/Beauchamp; HERTS: Chamberlain Chuck; LEICS: Allot Bentley Godfrey Greasley Hunt Hurst Jarvis Lane Lea Light Woodward; LINCS: Lambert Mitchell Muse ; STAFFS: Hodgkins Jarvis; SURREY: Light; WARKS: Astley/Chesshire Bradbury Hicken/Hickin Hudson; WORCS: Ballinger Beauchamp Laight

Offline andrewalston

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My granddad
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Tuesday 08 February 22 17:13 GMT (UK) »
Am I doing something wrong?
Dave ???

I wish I knew!. I can't get the site to return ANY records, even of wills I have previously purchased. Just "0 document pages returned".

I can't reach the "Advanced Search" either - there is no link visible, even if I "Log in".
Looking at ALSTON in south Ribble area, ALSTEAD and DONBAVAND/DUNBABIN etc. everywhere, HOWCROFT and MARSH in Bolton and Westhoughton, PICKERING in the Whitehaven area.

Census information is Crown Copyright. See www.nationalarchives.gov.uk for details.

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Tuesday 08 February 22 17:20 GMT (UK) »
FindMyPast has Thomas Chesshire on an Index to death duties and it gives a folio 4381
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Tuesday 08 February 22 17:44 GMT (UK) »
Give me strength ::) ::)

Finally able to get into the site - much good it does.  Decided to test it using details I am already fully aware of as I am the executor.  Death April 2021.  Go through all the rigmarole - far more detail asked for than before when you consider it previously worked on surname & year of death only

Get to the end and get 
beta This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.
Back

So - decided to login - didn't recognise me.  Re-registered and changed password which it accepted but couldn't get any further.

Logged out and back in again - accepted email & pw but then asked me to change password!!

At which point I made some very unladylike comments >:( >:(

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline Davedrave

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Tuesday 08 February 22 18:00 GMT (UK) »
FindMyPast has Thomas Chesshire on an Index to death duties and it gives a folio 4381

Many thanks. I’ll try again. I’ve also sent back feedback as they request, and asked them to reinstate the website as it was before they started messing about with it!

Dave :)

ps I didn’t realise that this index could be searched like that. I was drawing a blank on FindMyPast just under his name and d.o.d., so a very useful tip ;)
ESSEX: Cramphorn Raven Sams Sayers Taylor; GLOS: Beacham/Beauchamp; HERTS: Chamberlain Chuck; LEICS: Allot Bentley Godfrey Greasley Hunt Hurst Jarvis Lane Lea Light Woodward; LINCS: Lambert Mitchell Muse ; STAFFS: Hodgkins Jarvis; SURREY: Light; WARKS: Astley/Chesshire Bradbury Hicken/Hickin Hudson; WORCS: Ballinger Beauchamp Laight

Offline jonw65

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Tuesday 08 February 22 18:14 GMT (UK) »
Am I doing something wrong? I am trying to order the will of Thomas Chesshire of 1889, and filling the order in as per screen shots below. I can’t see a folio number. Do I need to look elsewhere for it, or is there not one?

Did you see my Reply #25
There is no folio number to give them.
Folio numbers are only needed for wills proved at the Principal Probate Registry in London between 1858 and 1930.

Offline Davedrave

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Tuesday 08 February 22 18:27 GMT (UK) »

Did you see my Reply #25
There is no folio number to give them.
Folio numbers are only needed for wills proved at the Principal Probate Registry in London between 1858 and 1930.

I think I understand your reply #25 but you appear to misunderstand what I am saying. The order form simply will not work if the box for “folio number” is left blank EVEN when there is no folio number written next to the entry. (In other words, the website now seems to be set up to expect a folio number to be entered in the box even when such a number does not exist.) It shows up in red as in my screenshot in my post made earlier this afternoon, #28. Just another issue, presumably, with the utterly useless beta version of the website they seem to be messing around with currently.

Dave :)

Offline jonw65

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Tuesday 08 February 22 18:53 GMT (UK) »
Hi Dave
OK, I get it now!
Sorry about the problem. If it stops people ordering, they must surely fix it soon :-\
Let's hope so!
John