Author Topic: 1859 North Melbourne - address, who was living with Mary?  (Read 1623 times)

Offline NZfamily

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
1859 North Melbourne - address, who was living with Mary?
« on: Saturday 05 February 22 02:37 GMT (UK) »
Hello,

I am looking to see who might have been living with a Mary McDonald (aged 19, living in Arden St North Melbourne at the time of her marriage in 1859 according to her marriage certificate - see excerpt from certificate attached). I suspect she may have been living with her parents Alexander and Ann. We cannot so far pin down her arrival date in Melbourne from Scotland, although she appears to be on the 1851 Scottish census. I suspect she may have come out together with her parents, as they are not on the 1861 Scottish census. Her husband Henry Michael McCaull (from Kingstown, Dublin) arrived in Melbourne from Britain on the "Miles Barton" in 1854 and was living in Geelong at the time of marriage - that begs the question how did they meet? An Alexander McDonald is a witness at her wedding. I'm wading through Sands-McDougall's 1860 Melbourne directory to see if an Alexander McDonald was still living in Arden St at the time, as the father seemed to have a business as a Calico printer - nope just found Arden St on page 85 and he is not there https://viewer.slv.vic.gov.au/?entity=IE13647144&mode=browse

A relative of mine also has been chasing this one up in the past. https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=855371.0

Offline Neale1961

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: 1859 North Melbourne - address, who was living with Mary?
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 05 February 22 03:52 GMT (UK) »
Please, a little more detail….
Where and when was Mary born?
What was her mother’s maiden name?
Where was the family in the 1851 census?
Is this the family in 1841?
https://www.freecen.org.uk/search_records/5a1424a4f4040b9d6e0f043f/alexander-mcdonald-1841-ayrshire-kilmarnock-1801-?locale=en

Added. The family in 1851. Mary’s age mis-transcribed? - should be 12
https://www.freecen.org.uk/search_records/59027c57e9379091b1227c62/alex-mcdonald-1851-ayrshire-ayr-1802-?locale=en
Milligan - Jardine – Glencross – Dinwoodie - Brown: (Dumfriesshire & Kirkcudbrightshire)
Clark – Faulds – Cuthbertson – Bryson – Wilson: (Ayrshire & Renfrewshire)
Neale – Cater – Kinder - Harrison: (Warwickshire & Queensland)
Roberts - Spry: (Cornwall, Middlesex & Queensland)
Munster: (Schleswig-Holstein & Queensland) and Plate: (Braunschweig, Neubruck & Queensland & New York)

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 05 February 22 04:26 GMT (UK) »
Hi Neale,

The maiden names were deciphered last November at reply #18 of the thread mentioned in the Opening Post.  I have not read back through that thread, but it may well have Census sightings etc. and further info on that m.c. image.

JM

A relative of mine also has been chasing this one up in the past. https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=855371.0
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline Neale1961

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 05 February 22 04:38 GMT (UK) »
The maiden names were deciphered last November at reply #18 of the thread mentioned in the Opening Post.
No, wrong person.
Mary’s mother I believe was Agnes McLean.  Possibly a second marriage for Alexander or Agnes.
Trying to clarify the family in Scotland. The previous thread was rather muddled.
Milligan - Jardine – Glencross – Dinwoodie - Brown: (Dumfriesshire & Kirkcudbrightshire)
Clark – Faulds – Cuthbertson – Bryson – Wilson: (Ayrshire & Renfrewshire)
Neale – Cater – Kinder - Harrison: (Warwickshire & Queensland)
Roberts - Spry: (Cornwall, Middlesex & Queensland)
Munster: (Schleswig-Holstein & Queensland) and Plate: (Braunschweig, Neubruck & Queensland & New York)

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 05 February 22 05:31 GMT (UK) »
The maiden names were deciphered last November at reply #18 of the thread mentioned in the Opening Post.
No, wrong person.
Mary’s mother I believe was Agnes McLean.  Possibly a second marriage for Alexander or Agnes.
Trying to clarify the family in Scotland. The previous thread was rather muddled.

Sorry, but which Mary are you  referring to?  There is the image at this current thread and the bride is Mary.  It is a VIC BDM for a marriage in 1859.  Her age is on that image,  19.  1859 - 19 = circa1840. 

ADD
The info startng at about  reply 18 of earlier thread includes the maiden name for Mary's mum.  :- :D :D

JM.
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   

Offline wivenhoe

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 05 February 22 05:39 GMT (UK) »

This from you about Mary McDONALD, married Melbourne 1859, of her father Alexander McDONALD -

" the father seemed to have a business as a Calico printer "

Mary identifies her father as Alexander McDONALD, calico printer.

Where do you see her father to be having a printing business?

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 05 February 22 05:41 GMT (UK) »
See reply 24 at other thread too.... Sue has given excellent deciphering info.

JM.

Offline NZfamily

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 05 February 22 06:03 GMT (UK) »
Please, a little more detail….
Where and when was Mary born?
What was her mother’s maiden name?
Where was the family in the 1851 census?
Is this the family in 1841?
https://www.freecen.org.uk/search_records/5a1424a4f4040b9d6e0f043f/alexander-mcdonald-1841-ayrshire-kilmarnock-1801-?locale=en

Added. The family in 1851. Mary’s age mis-transcribed? - should be 12
https://www.freecen.org.uk/search_records/59027c57e9379091b1227c62/alex-mcdonald-1851-ayrshire-ayr-1802-?locale=en

correct on all accounts. The age is wrong. She would have been about 11 or 12 in 1851.

Offline NZfamily

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 05 February 22 06:11 GMT (UK) »
No, wrong person.

We have an old parish register excerpt from scotlandspeople.gov.uk, giving her birth in Kilmarnock as 5 Sep 1840, High St. which gives her mother's name as "Ann McLean" and her father's occupation as "calico printer". The 1841 census gives Alexander's occupation as "Calico Printer", however gives wife's name as "Agnes" - which I know is going to cause heated debate - appears to be a latinised form of Ann. https://www.wikitree.com/g2g/774026/is-agnes-ever-anglicised-to-ann-older-scottish-birth-records
- in the 1851 census she is known as "Ann".