Author Topic: 1859 North Melbourne - address, who was living with Mary?  (Read 1621 times)

Offline NZfamily

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: 1859 North Melbourne - address, who was living with Mary?
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 05 February 22 06:49 GMT (UK) »
Have a look at the passenger list for the EBBA BRAHE arriving Melbourne Dec 1857 from Liverpool.
There are the following scots: Alexander and Ann McDonald , both age 46, and Mary McDonald age 16.
His occupation is just “factory” – which may have been the case. Most of the Ayrshire cotton workers were in factories by this stage.
Mary is listed separately in single women – Her age is slightly out, but she may have reduced her age for a cheaper passage.
This is in the un-assisted passenger listing.
https://prov.vic.gov.au/archive/3B0750BA-F96C-11E9-AE98-19084F8A768F?image=278

...  however gives wife's name as "Agnes" - which I know is going to cause heated debate .....
Not at all - "Agnes" = "Ann" = "Nan" in Scotland and other places in between. :)

THANKYOU! What a breakthrough! We have been looking for ages for that! ancestry.com is not always the best for looking up multiple names at once on the same ship.

btw isn't the handwriting on the original document nice and neat!
Mary had two brothers mentioned in the 1841 census Donald (b Abt 1832) & Hugh (b Abt 1830), but they don't appear on this ship's passenger list. I guess they stayed in Scotland. Only Hugh is on the 1851 census (occupation Calico Printer)

It was always our strong hunch that Alexander & Ann immigrated together with Mary. Now, we wonder what happened to them after they arrived.

After Mary's first born (Charles Nathaniel McCaull, Geelomg 1860) she and husband Henry Michael immigrated to Otago, NZ. Please see obit: https://paperspast.natlib.govt.nz/newspapers/CHP19180826.2.6

If Alexander & Ann stayed in Victoria or went with them to the Gabriel's Gully goldrush, not certain

Offline Neale1961

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 05 February 22 06:59 GMT (UK) »
Otago Cemetery Entry. I would say the parents followed Mary to NZ.
Milligan - Jardine – Glencross – Dinwoodie - Brown: (Dumfriesshire & Kirkcudbrightshire)
Clark – Faulds – Cuthbertson – Bryson – Wilson: (Ayrshire & Renfrewshire)
Neale – Cater – Kinder - Harrison: (Warwickshire & Queensland)
Roberts - Spry: (Cornwall, Middlesex & Queensland)
Munster: (Schleswig-Holstein & Queensland) and Plate: (Braunschweig, Neubruck & Queensland & New York)

Offline NZfamily

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 05 February 22 07:02 GMT (UK) »
I note that on Mary’s birth record 05/09/1840 Kilmarnock she is recorded as the fourth child of Alexander McDonald. So there must have been another older sibling (who died) in addition to Hugh and Donald.
Do you have the McDonald-McLean marriage record to see if this was the first marriage for both parties?
MCDONALD   ALEXANDER   marriage to AGNES MCLEAN       FR2642 (FR2642)   
15/09/1835   597/    110 163   Kilmarnock

Yes, there is that marriage, however that would come after the birth of Hugh (1830) & Donald (1832).
I can't find any definite birth records for them.
We have tried writing to Norma McLeod at https://skye-roots.co.uk However she was also a bit baffled. She said someone else had written to her many years ago about this same person, Mary McDonald. I think pre 1840, records on Skye become patchy. Note that on the 1851 census everyone gives their place of birth as Skye (apart from Alexander who gives us, surprisingly "Ireland", which may or may not be correct). 1841 census only gives info if the person was born in the county or not. In 1841 census all but Mary were born outside of Ayrshire.
Also, on the marriage cert, Mary gives her place of birth as "Skye", however, if Kilmarnock is correct, maybe her parents told her "Skye" because they were proud of their heritage.

Offline NZfamily

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Saturday 05 February 22 07:04 GMT (UK) »

Wow! Amazing! Many, many thanks.

Offline Neale1961

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Saturday 05 February 22 07:07 GMT (UK) »
Have you seen the marriage record? It might give you information about a previous marriage. It is possible that Hugh and Donald were from another marriage.
Milligan - Jardine – Glencross – Dinwoodie - Brown: (Dumfriesshire & Kirkcudbrightshire)
Clark – Faulds – Cuthbertson – Bryson – Wilson: (Ayrshire & Renfrewshire)
Neale – Cater – Kinder - Harrison: (Warwickshire & Queensland)
Roberts - Spry: (Cornwall, Middlesex & Queensland)
Munster: (Schleswig-Holstein & Queensland) and Plate: (Braunschweig, Neubruck & Queensland & New York)

Offline NZfamily

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Saturday 05 February 22 07:18 GMT (UK) »
Have you seen the marriage record? It might give you information about a previous marriage. It is possible that Hugh and Donald were from another marriage.

I attach extract from marriage entry

Offline NZfamily

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Saturday 05 February 22 07:26 GMT (UK) »

I found the burial at Southern Cemetery in Dunedin. The excerpt implies that Alexander also lived in Dunedin. This is the only burial I could find in Dunedin that might be Alexander, in 1885 (gives no date of birth) https://www.dunedin.govt.nz/services/cemeteries/cemeteries-search?recordid=77215&type=Burial

Offline TreeSpirit

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Saturday 05 February 22 07:40 GMT (UK) »
1857/1858 (Sands)
Alexander Mcdonald
Queensberry street West, North Melbourne
-
1859/1860 (Sands)
Alexander McDonald, coach proprietor
95 Queensberry Street West, North Melbourne (between Curzon and Abbotsford)
-
NB 1859 (Tanner) has his address as: Little Lothian street, North Melbourne
(i.e. between Arden and Queensberry, which might explain the Arden street residence)

FYI only
1859 (Sands)
Alexander McDonald, watch maker
50 Cecil street, South Melbourne

Offline NZfamily

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Saturday 05 February 22 08:00 GMT (UK) »
1857/1858 (Sands)
Alexander Mcdonald
Queensberry street West, North Melbourne
-
1859/1860 (Sands)
Alexander McDonald, coach proprietor
95 Queensberry Street West, North Melbourne (between Curzon and Abbotsford)
-
NB 1859 (Tanner) has his address as: Little Lothian street, North Melbourne
(i.e. between Arden and Queensberry, which might explain the Arden street residence)

FYI only
1859 (Sands)
Alexander McDonald, watch maker
50 Cecil street, South Melbourne

Thanks Tree Spirit. They look quite plausible. They match the address given on the marriage cert. Are the originals available online?
SLV only seems to have Sands 1860 onwards