Author Topic: "What Would You Do?" Brickwall advice request  (Read 2778 times)

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: "What Would You Do?" Brickwall advice request
« Reply #27 on: Sunday 06 February 22 22:27 GMT (UK) »
There were two Fenton Moores born in Scotland in the 1850s.

One to Anthony in 1857 www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:VQC6-MZC  I think you have mentioned that you have followed through on Anthony's line.

There is also one born/died in Edinburgh in 1854, father Patrick. Have you come across this one? www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:XTNF-121

These are just side notes really to all the info you have  ;)

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline shanreagh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Monday 07 February 22 01:42 GMT (UK) »
I'm not sure why you think Bridget might have been Protestant but I've never come across a non-Catholic Bridget in Ireland in 1800s. While it's not impossible your Bridget was Protestant it was unlikely.
In the 1911 census there 140,586 entries for 'Bridget.' Selecting Roman Catholic for religion there are 139,333. Two were in households that refused information, 258 listed as Church of Ireland (several not born in Ireland, and 1 from a family I know is mis-transcribed as Bridget, quite a few living as servants in COI households and likely Catholic), 22 as Church of England, 2 listed as Church of Scotland (both are Catholic according to census forms), 39 Presbyterians (at least one has religion mis-transcribed & others servants in Presbyterian household) ...

Just following up Aghadowey's point. 

There were Laws around in Kilkenny later on and they appear to be Presbyterian.  I was wondering if Bridget had turned RC at some stage and this may have been a baptismal name.

I know, in theory, in the Christian church you can be baptised once, 'all churches are God's churches' (this is an Anglican view)  but I do know that the RC church did baptise over the top as this did happen in my g'mother  in the early days of their marriage.  (In NZ, late 1890s.)

My oldest Aunt & Uncle (2 & 3) were at home with a neighbour looking after them while my g'mother was out helping my g'father when a priest sent by the paternal mother came to the house and baptised these two.  My g'mother was the daughter  of a fierce Irish Presbyterian, and  my g'father who was a lapsed Catholic who had left his studies to be a priest at a NZ seminary to apprentice as a saddler was not pleased either. The aunt had been christened already but my younger uncle had not. He used to tease my g'mother about it but never went to a Catholic church. 

Anyway it did used to happen and she may have been blessed with a saints name  and took this from then....would be made easier by a move to England where no-one would have known the earlier name.

OP which church did the family go to in Scotland?  Are there any female names that you cannot place from the father's family?  You have said you have a Mary Anne?

Offline xpress4

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Monday 07 February 22 02:41 GMT (UK) »
I forgot about that one! Thank you. I meant to look in on it and it slipped my mind  :)

There were two Fenton Moores born in Scotland in the 1850s.

One to Anthony in 1857 www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:VQC6-MZC  I think you have mentioned that you have followed through on Anthony's line.

There is also one born/died in Edinburgh in 1854, father Patrick. Have you come across this one? www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:XTNF-121

These are just side notes really to all the info you have  ;)

Monica
MOORE, LAW, SANDFORD, DELANEY

Offline xpress4

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Monday 07 February 22 03:22 GMT (UK) »
All the children seem to have been baptisted in Catholilc churches.

On the other information, so supposing she was a Presbyterian and married Denis, a Catholic. From what you say below, is it conceivable she changed her first name to marry him and become catholic? So she could have been born a Presbyterian Law with another first name? Not sure if I'm understanding correctly.

As a sidenote, I always thought it strange that they, nor their children, named anyone Bridget......

" I was wondering if Bridget had turned RC at some stage and this may have been a baptismal name. "

I know, in theory, in the Christian church you can be baptised once, 'all churches are God's churches' (this is an Anglican view)  but I do know that the RC church did baptise over the top as this did happen in my g'mother  in the early days of their marriage.  (In NZ, late 1890s.)

My oldest Aunt & Uncle (2 & 3) were at home with a neighbour looking after them while my g'mother was out helping my g'father when a priest sent by the paternal mother came to the house and baptised these two.  My g'mother was the daughter  of a fierce Irish Presbyterian, and  my g'father who was a lapsed Catholic who had left his studies to be a priest at a NZ seminary to apprentice as a saddler was not pleased either. The aunt had been christened already but my younger uncle had not. He used to tease my g'mother about it but never went to a Catholic church. 

Anyway it did used to happen and she may have been blessed with a saints name  and took this from then....would be made easier by a move to England where no-one would have known the earlier name.

OP which church did the family go to in Scotland?  Are there any female names that you cannot place from the father's family?  You have said you have a Mary Anne?
[/quote]

Offline wivenhoe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Monday 07 February 22 06:02 GMT (UK) »

Do you have this one?

Scotlandspeople Roman Catholic Baptisms

MOORE   Rosa   parents  Dionysius MOORE / Brigitta LAW     F(emale)
born           4/12/1845 
baptised    26/1/1846    @  St Peter's  Dalbeattie

Offline shanreagh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Monday 07 February 22 08:44 GMT (UK) »
All the children seem to have been baptisted in Catholilc churches.

On the other information, so supposing she was a Presbyterian and married Denis, a Catholic. From what you say below, is it conceivable she changed her first name to marry him and become catholic? So she could have been born a Presbyterian Law with another first name? Not sure if I'm understanding correctly.

As a sidenote, I always thought it strange that they, nor their children, named anyone Bridget......

[/quote]

Yes if she been 'required' to become a Catholic when she married or  if she decided to turn Catholic afterwards, she may have been rebaptised or taken a name of a Saint.   

In many mixed marriages there was a requirement/expectation that the non Catholic partner would become a Catholic on marriage so that the wedding could take place in a Catholic Church.
At the very least even if the non Catholic partner decided not to get married as a Catholic there was an expectation that any children would be brought up Catholic. 

So yes say she was a Presbyterian Law with a different first name say Margaret. She marries in the Catholic church as a Catholic and as part of getting ready to do this she chooses the name of the female Irish saint.  Brigid is St Brigid of Kildare or Birgitta.  There is St Bridget after St Bridget of Sweden. 

What are the names of Bridget's female children?   

Actually I am wondering if the Presbyterian idea would be correct as her father's name of Patrick is not particularly Presbyterian  well in my Pres family there are none that I have come across. 

We did find a Patrick in Griffiths Valuation though???

Offline shanreagh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Monday 07 February 22 09:01 GMT (UK) »
Along with Griffiths valuation there are another set of census substitutes and these are the Tithe Applotment books'

http://titheapplotmentbooks.nationalarchives.ie/search/tab/home.jsp

Offline phenolphthalein

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Monday 07 February 22 09:07 GMT (UK) »
I apologise as in my rush to tell of Scotlands people not only did I make multiple typos but I neglected to say my MUIR family appear as MOORE on immigration records which the agent wrote. Maybe the reverse happened for your folk and you might find the odd stray record under MUIR or MURE

Regards
pH

Offline xpress4

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Monday 07 February 22 14:49 GMT (UK) »
Yes. Thank you!  :)

Do you have this one?

Scotlandspeople Roman Catholic Baptisms

MOORE   Rosa   parents  Dionysius MOORE / Brigitta LAW     F(emale)
born           4/12/1845 
baptised    26/1/1846    @  St Peter's  Dalbeattie