Author Topic: "What Would You Do?" Brickwall advice request  (Read 2719 times)

Offline softly softly

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: "What Would You Do?" Brickwall advice request
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 06 February 22 16:22 GMT (UK) »
Not sure just how much info you have about Dennis Moore & Bridget and their children but there is masses to be found.

John

Offline xpress4

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 06 February 22 17:19 GMT (UK) »
Thanks All,

The reason for the hunch about Bridget being protestant is the surname of Law. They appear to be from Scotland and predominently protestant. Presbyterian would be a good possibillity for a Scotsh/Irish familiy moving from Scotland to Ireland at the turn of the 19th century I would think. I have no idea how to explore Presbyterian records though.

I have all the records from Scotland and also from England when they moved there a decade later. I have a great deal on the family and descendants past their time in Ireland. Not many stones unturned there...it's the "dark ages" in Ireland that cause me grief and keep me from learning about the Law family.

The record for Winifred Moore is definitely on my radar but, as she wasn't with them later in the census and I couldln't find any deaths, I could never confirm Winifred born in Cork was theirs. However, the survey was in Cork during that time so it is not impossible to imagine. That would make Denis' mother's name likely Winifred if that baby was theirs. There is also a bastard  "Magdalen" born to Denis Moore and Bridget "Lay" in Mountrath in 1836 that I cannot rule out as a possible first born.

In the 1851 Census in Edinburgh, the family was living with Denis' brother Anthony 20 y and nephew Fenton 20 y. I've learned a great day about Anthony, another surveyor, and his descendants. Could never confirm which Fenton Moore (several in England where they all moved and assumed he moved too instead of returning to Ireland) was this man in later years. Would be good to know who his father/Denis' brother was.

I feel like I have so many things. There must be a morsel somewhere that would lead me backward to where I need to be if I just looked at it diffierently/correctly.

MOORE, LAW, SANDFORD, DELANEY

Offline xpress4

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 06 February 22 17:23 GMT (UK) »
Just found the baptism for Mary Anne. It gives the sponsors names as James Garland and Mary Walsh from the parish of Clonany/Clonanny? have you followed these up to see how they tie in?  Sponsors are very important in RC baptisms.

Yes, I have tried to learn more about these two people but cannot so far. All the sponsors after this seem to be people that worked with Denis on the survey. James Garland might be one of them.

MOORE, LAW, SANDFORD, DELANEY

Offline oldohiohome

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 06 February 22 18:03 GMT (UK) »
"What would you do?"
I'd start looking for anyone in Ireland named Fenton Moore in the generation before Denis. It's not the most common given name in the world and sure looks like a name used in that family, since you found a nephew Fenton as well as Denis' son. If you don't find Denis' father that way (which you might, since both he and a brother named a son Fenton) you have a very good chance of at least finding his family and locality.

Map of the given name Fenton on Irish records, 1864 - 1913:
https://www.johngrenham.com/surnamescode/forenames_gro.php?forename=Fenton

Offline oldohiohome

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 06 February 22 18:05 GMT (UK) »
extra points if you find a Fenton Moore who was a surveyor.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 06 February 22 18:11 GMT (UK) »

How many points  ;D

West Somerset Free Press, 6 Dec.1884: November 2_th, at Bastover, Bridgwater, William Richard, son of Mr. Fenton Moore, ordnance surveyor, aged _ years.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline oldohiohome

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 06 February 22 18:18 GMT (UK) »
Thanks All,
In the 1851 Census in Edinburgh, the family was living with Denis' brother Anthony 20 y and nephew Fenton 20 y.

Ancestry transcribes that Fenton's birthplace as "Lucens County, Ireland". I don't have access to the image of the 1851 census in Scotland.

Offline oldohiohome

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 06 February 22 18:19 GMT (UK) »

How many points  ;D

West Somerset Free Press, 6 Dec.1884: November 2_th, at Bastover, Bridgwater, William Richard, son of Mr. Fenton Moore, ordnance surveyor, aged _ years.
:)

Offline oldohiohome

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 06 February 22 18:20 GMT (UK) »
And Denis', Bridget's, and daughter Mary Ann's birthplace is "Queensbannly, Ireland" according to the 1851 Census in Scotland
For brother Anthony: "Shire Iucensborenty, Ireland"