Author Topic: "What Would You Do?" Brickwall advice request  (Read 2701 times)

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: "What Would You Do?" Brickwall advice request
« Reply #45 on: Wednesday 09 February 22 16:44 GMT (UK) »
Have you checked existence of Catholic registers in/near places/counties where Bridget Law may have lived? Consider counties Carlow and Wexford, too.
Was Dennis in the army or was he a civilian working on the Ordnance survey project?

Hi, I did a broad search on Ancestry based on an approximate birth year of 1820 but the results were in Wicklow and Kilkenny and about six years early. Names of parents don't seem to align.

Denis was an Office Messenger for the Survey, so civilian staff.

Catholic Registers at National Library of Ireland
https://registers.nli.ie/about
Enter name of a parish in search box. Parish will be shown on a map + other parishes nearby. Click on a parish for list of registers with years. N.B. A parish may have more than 1 register for a sequence of years. Also there may be missing registers or gaps in surviving registers. Also "disordered" registers, e.g. out-of-sequence dates.  Also incorrect transcriptions & illegible writing.
Most likely thing is that the marriage register for the year Dennis and Bridget married doesn't exist.
Cowban

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Wednesday 09 February 22 16:49 GMT (UK) »

The requirement in Catholic canon law for a Catholic to be married by a Catholic priest hadn't been adopted in Ireland when Denis and Bridge married. (Ne temere decree on marriage 1917)

"Ne temere" decree on marriage was 1907 not 1917.
Cowban

Offline xpress4

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Thursday 10 February 22 03:50 GMT (UK) »
Have you checked existence of Catholic registers in/near places/counties where Bridget Law may have lived? Consider counties Carlow and Wexford, too.
Was Dennis in the army or was he a civilian working on the Ordnance survey project?

Hi, I did a broad search on Ancestry based on an approximate birth year of 1820 but the results were in Wicklow and Kilkenny and about six years early. Names of parents don't seem to align.

Denis was an Office Messenger for the Survey, so civilian staff.

Catholic Registers at National Library of Ireland
https://registers.nli.ie/about
Enter name of a parish in search box. Parish will be shown on a map + other parishes nearby. Click on a parish for list of registers with years. N.B. A parish may have more than 1 register for a sequence of years. Also there may be missing registers or gaps in surviving registers. Also "disordered" registers, e.g. out-of-sequence dates.  Also incorrect transcriptions & illegible writing.
Most likely thing is that the marriage register for the year Dennis and Bridget married doesn't exist.

But perhaps some host of COI or Presbyterian record if I dig hard enough right?
MOORE, LAW, SANDFORD, DELANEY

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Thursday 10 February 22 10:04 GMT (UK) »

I'm afraid I don't understand what you are asking. The Church of Ireland and the Presbyterian Church are entirely separate.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline xpress4

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Thursday 10 February 22 15:35 GMT (UK) »

I'm afraid I don't understand what you are asking. The Church of Ireland and the Presbyterian Church are entirely separate.

So sorry, what a I meant to say is, if Denis was Catholic and Bridget was either Presbyterian or COL, perhaps there is a marriage record available in the Presb or COL reocrds
MOORE, LAW, SANDFORD, DELANEY

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Thursday 10 February 22 15:39 GMT (UK) »
If the marriage was in a Presbyterian church then it would appear in its records (if such records survive).
If it was a Church of Ireland marriage then it would be in the records for that church (if it survives- many pre-1870 COI registers were lost).
It the marriage took place in a Catholic church then that's where the marriage would have been recorded.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Thursday 10 February 22 17:47 GMT (UK) »
Irish Genealogy Toolkit is a guide to Irish family history. Information about church records is under Genealogy tab. The pages on C. of I. include a link to the printed list of C. of I. parish registers. The list is in alphabetical order by name of parish.
 http://www.irish-genealogy-toolkit.com

SWilson.Info is a useful source for locating C. of I. and R.C. parishes. There are various search functions.
http://www.swilson.info/index.php

If it was a Church of Ireland marriage then it would be in the records for that church (if it survives- many pre-1870 COI registers were lost).

Some were early casualties of the Irish Civil War 100 years ago.
Cowban