Author Topic: Post 1858 English wills website seems to be down  (Read 1690 times)

Offline Watson

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Post 1858 English wills website seems to be down
« Reply #9 on: Monday 07 February 22 21:19 GMT (UK) »
In the past, I have received a proper confirmation of an order, including the order number, the amount paid, and details of the wills ordered. But I haven't had that today, which makes me think all may not be well ...

Offline garden genie

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 07 February 22 23:22 GMT (UK) »
I suspect your final comment is something of an understatement, Watson. Have they actually taken your money? They have had my money for nearly two weeks!

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 08 February 22 00:57 GMT (UK) »

The links in the emails they originally sent just bring up 'page not found'. I tried in Chrome when it wasn't there with Firefox. Nothing. Has anyone else found 'My Wills'?

Could that be because you’ve had to set up a new password? Hope it doesn’t mean its counted as a new account! My password or face recognition doesn’t work and it says they can’t find an account with my email address.

I think this was a classic case of “ If it ain’t broke don’t fix it.”
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Watson

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 08 February 22 09:49 GMT (UK) »
garden genie, you asked if they have actually taken my money.  I have to assume so, as a message appeared on the screen:

"Order complete
Your payment was successful. Your order has been accepted."

I won't know if my card has been charged until my next statement arrives.

I expected to get a proper confirmation of the order, including the order number, the amount paid, and details of the wills ordered.  That used to happen and it seems the normal businesslike way to process an order.

I just tried to sign in, but got an error message:  "There is a problem [etc.] "

Isn't Beta an advanced stage?  I have the impression some of the basic functioning doesn't work, which you would expect to have been validated at earlier stages of testing.  If it is taking payments you would expect it to be more robust.

Offline garden genie

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 08 February 22 10:49 GMT (UK) »
Yes, I would usually interpret a Beta site as 'We think it will work but there may be the odd niggle to iron out'.
On the other hand this one has been calling itself a beta site for as long as I can remember!

Online Galium

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 08 February 22 10:59 GMT (UK) »
I can't sign in with my existing email and password because 'account not found',  and I can't create a new account - at least not with my usual email because 'there is already an account for that email'.

So which is it?
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online Millmoor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 08 February 22 13:27 GMT (UK) »
Might be worth clicking on the forgot password link. I did that after receiving the account not found message. They sent me an email to create a new password which worked. ( The new password has more "requirements" than the old one - might this explain why my old password was not found?).

William
Dent (Haltwhistle and Sacriston), Bell and Jetson (Haltwhistle), Postle, Ward, Longstaff, Purvis, Manners, Parnaby and Hardy (Co. Durham), Kennedy and McRobert (Banffshire), Reid(Bathgate), Watson (Wemyss), Graham (Libberton), Sandilands (Carmichael), Munro (Dingwall)

Offline clontarf

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 09 February 22 09:14 GMT (UK) »
When I go to the address in my old bookmark I get a blank screen - so it appears to get access to a website that is a significant reduction in functionality over the old one, I also have to upgrade my computer.  Whatever happened to backwards compatibility?

I got to the site on another device and found all the problems already mentioned when searching, but could not sign in - my account was "not found".   No explanation anywhere of the process for people who have an existing account.  I will try the "forgot password" link.

The feedback link also does not work - it creates a fictitious email address for me which I cannot overwrite with the correct one.

The date format is not explained.  All single figure days and months need to have a leading zero, but no word of this on the page.  Did anyone who knows the subject do any testing of the program?  Why not say "the format is dd mm yyyy, eg. 06 02 1866".

In my experience the vast majority of wills do not have a folio number, but despite a message acknowledging that you can proceed without the number - you can't.   You have to write something in the field - I wrote "none".  But no instruction that some text is required.  Again evidence that there has been no testing by anyone with a knowledge of the subject.

Online Galium

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 09 February 22 14:25 GMT (UK) »
I have updated my password (thanks, Millmoor), so I can sign in, and search.  But I can't see how to order a will copy once I have found the details (I am after a will from 1906).  The page that shows index images leads nowhere. 
What am I missing?
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk