Author Topic: burials  (Read 593 times)

Offline pompey welsh

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
burials
« on: Monday 07 February 22 09:56 GMT (UK) »
Hello, can anyone help with burial info, If people were poor, how/where were they buried? my ancestor died in St James hospital in battersea, she also lived in battersea but i can find no record of any burial, I know she was poor as previous had been in and out of workhouse. thanks

Online Gillg

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: burials
« Reply #1 on: Monday 07 February 22 11:40 GMT (UK) »
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pauper%27s_funeral

However, it does seem likely that a record of the burial would have been made somewhere, so I wonder whether the workhouse used a burial ground somewhere other than Battersea. 
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

FAIREY/FAIRY/FAREY/FEARY, LAWSON, CHURCH, BENSON, HALSTEAD from Easton, Ellington, Eynesbury, Gt Catworth, Huntingdon, Spaldwick, Hunts;  Burnley, Lancs;  New Zealand, Australia & US.

HURST, BOLTON,  BUTTERWORTH, ADAMSON, WILD, MCIVOR from Milnrow, Newhey, Oldham & Rochdale, Lancs., Scotland.

Offline Darnity

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 09 February 22 16:12 GMT (UK) »
Hello, can anyone help with burial info, If people were poor, how/where were they buried? my ancestor died in St James hospital in battersea, she also lived in battersea but i can find no record of any burial, I know she was poor as previous had been in and out of workhouse. thanks

What year was this as I recently had an example of a brother of my ancestor dying whilst a resident of a workhouse in late 1923 and being buried in another county in the autumn of 1924.

Further research found that as no family members wanted to/could afford to claim his body to bury him his body had been passed to a medical school to be used for research and they then gave his remains  "a Christian burial" once they had finished with him many months later.

I understand that 1923 was quite late for this practice to be going on but the master of this Workhouse obviously still had an "arrangement" whereby this pauper's burial wouldn't be a charge on this Workhouse.

See if you can find any similar arrangement between St James Hospital in Battersea or the relevant Workhouse and one of the big London teaching hospitals - or if her name isn't too common cast your net wider for her burial place.

Hope this helps.
Gypsy DRAPERs, children of Billy and Mary - Ellen,Darnity,Spencer,Billy Jnr,Kisby,Ellick
Descendants of Fred and Esther (Garrett) WHITLOCK - Wavendon, Woburn Sands area
Descendants of George and Barbara (Willis) SUTTON - Earls Barton and Nether Heyford
BISSELL - Hanslope, New Bradwell, Bucks and Aston, Birmingham area
Lavinia DRAPER died 1840 Cranfield
Gypsies in the Bow Brickhill and Beds/Bucks border areas

Offline pompey welsh

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 12 February 22 16:13 GMT (UK) »
Hello and thank you for the replies, my ancestor which is my great great grandmother actually died on 12.02.1927 at St James hospital, Battersea I have managed to decipher the handwriting and it says that the certificate was received from the deputy coroner of London and inquest held 15th Feb!, her cause of death is listed as coma, rupture of intra-cranial aneurysm, natural. I will email wandsworth district council and see if i can get any further info.

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 12 February 22 18:28 GMT (UK) »
A summary of the Wandsworth cemeteries here https://enablelc.org/bereavement/cemeteries/

You can search burial registers here https://enablelc.org/bereavement/cemeteries/records

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline jonw65

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 12 February 22 21:31 GMT (UK) »
Sarah does not seem to be buried at the Battersea New Cemetery in Morden.
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3Q9M-C9YN-636J-5

There are quite a few there with abode 46 Ouseley Road Balham, which is St James Hospital
https://ezitis.myzen.co.uk/stjames.html

Offline pompey welsh

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 13 February 22 18:17 GMT (UK) »
Thank you, i had come across the bereavement site and have also looked on deceased online, Sarah Jane has just disappeared, she was quite hard during her life to track down but I've finally found her death certificate and she stumps me at the final hurdle too!