Author Topic: A father and son? Scott Thompson  (Read 737 times)

Offline KScott24809

• RootsChat Member
  • G.Grandfather Alexander "Alec" Scott
    • View Profile
A father and son? Scott Thompson
« on: Monday 07 February 22 22:53 GMT (UK) »
Hello all. I am hoping someone may be able to help me.

I have attached/linked below a photo of two miners. I have looked closely at this photo and analysed fashion as best I can as a total novice, but I was hoping to get the combined expertise of the good people of roots chat to assist with a few questions I have.

1 - https://i.imgur.com/oh0q8Gn.jpg
2 - https://i.imgur.com/pJ4Clc2.jpg

Specifically:

1)  Do these two men look different enough in age to be father and son?

2) Was this photo taken on or around 1910?

3) Is this a typical posed photo for a Wedding?

4) could male 1 (Left) be 45 years old? Could male 2 (right) be 21 years old?

5) could make 1 (left) be the same male as in the second attached/linked photo?

Many thanks!!
K
Scott, Scougall/Scougale/Scowgal/Scugall, Sharpe/Sharp, Selkirk/Selkrigg, Armstrong, Dent, Sanderson, Hugill, Thompson, Jester/Juister/Juster, Bell, Drysdale, Cason, Randall, Gascoigne, Redford, Renner, Twizell, Cooke, Jex, Malcolm, Black, Johnstone, Weetman,  Arrowsmith, Parkes, Jackson, Granger, Green, Boldock, Boot, Coverdale,  Bartholomew, Chapman, Day, Kilvington, Atkinson, Motterham, Smith, Clerk, Grey, Patterson, Henderson, Pride, Dobbie, Ainger, Willis, Ashburn, Donald, Ward, Landales

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: A father and son? Scott Thompson
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 08 February 22 22:48 GMT (UK) »
They could be Father and Son and it could be a wedding photo and I think your date would fit. Also, the guy on the left in the first photo, I would say is the same as the man in the second photo.
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Online Neale1961

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 08 February 22 23:15 GMT (UK) »
Yes, they could be father and son. Difference in age is seen in the hands, perhaps more than the face?
The younger man looks like he has a new suit for the photo, the older man has worn his suit before.
Yes, possibly a wedding photo. Cannot comment on date.
Milligan - Jardine – Glencross – Dinwoodie - Brown: (Dumfriesshire & Kirkcudbrightshire)
Clark – Faulds – Cuthbertson – Bryson – Wilson: (Ayrshire & Renfrewshire)
Neale – Cater – Kinder - Harrison: (Warwickshire & Queensland)
Roberts - Spry: (Cornwall, Middlesex & Queensland)
Munster: (Schleswig-Holstein & Queensland) and Plate: (Braunschweig, Neubruck & Queensland & New York)

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 08 February 22 23:21 GMT (UK) »
With them being miners and having a hard working life I would have thought the older gent would be a bit more worn but he looks good for 45. The younger chap is quite mature looking and appears to be wearing a brand new suit = appropriate for his wedding. He looks very smart.  :) I think your assumption about their ages is correct though.

I agree that the older chap and the chap in the second photo are one and the same.

Added: Neale just beat me to it but will post anyway. Good observation about the hands.  :)

Offline KScott24809

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 09 February 22 13:57 GMT (UK) »
Hi all

Thank you so much for your thoughts so far. Here is a summary of my thoughts.

Background

This photo is what we believed initially to be of George Thompson and his son. The problem was we knew all of George Thompson's sons, and none looked like that.

We have a photo of George Thompson with his family on what I believe to be his daughter Mary Ann's wedding day in 1910.

https://imgur.com/a/tbmm5oz

I therefore surmise that this may be the matching photo from the paternal side of William Scott with his only child by his first marriage, Alexander Robert Scott.

The problems arise with the second photo that you have all agreed is likely the same gentleman. The second photo shows a man who looks older than the man in the 1910 photo.

What I can tell you is that William died in 1916. So that means this second photo can be no further than 6 years after the first. Quite a short space of time for the difference in appearance. Although it could be because he got unwell towards the end of his life? Either way the aging seems rapid.

The further quandary is that other photos of Alexander Robert Scott only really appear from the late 1920s onwards and he looks somewhat different to this photo. Always clean shaven and with a more austere look...however this would be 2 decades on so perhaps its me being silly.

Below are photos of George Thompson and his family on what I believe may be the maternal side of this paternal side wedding photo.

I also show two photos of Alexander Robert in the 1920s and 1930s.

Alec late 1920s
https://i.imgur.com/43Hrcbm.jpeg

Alec in 1931
https://i.imgur.com/zPDlOMt.jpeg

Thanks everyone!! I appreciate as many thoughts on this. Its bothered me for a decade.

Scott, Scougall/Scougale/Scowgal/Scugall, Sharpe/Sharp, Selkirk/Selkrigg, Armstrong, Dent, Sanderson, Hugill, Thompson, Jester/Juister/Juster, Bell, Drysdale, Cason, Randall, Gascoigne, Redford, Renner, Twizell, Cooke, Jex, Malcolm, Black, Johnstone, Weetman,  Arrowsmith, Parkes, Jackson, Granger, Green, Boldock, Boot, Coverdale,  Bartholomew, Chapman, Day, Kilvington, Atkinson, Motterham, Smith, Clerk, Grey, Patterson, Henderson, Pride, Dobbie, Ainger, Willis, Ashburn, Donald, Ward, Landales

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 09 February 22 16:29 GMT (UK) »
You might want to consider if the older man was the Father-In-Law of the bride, or, the younger man was either a more distant relative or a friend of the Family, or even a work colleage.
Just some points to consider.
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

Offline KScott24809

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 09 February 22 17:08 GMT (UK) »
You might want to consider if the older man was the Father-In-Law of the bride, or, the younger man was either a more distant relative or a friend of the Family, or even a work colleage.
Just some points to consider.
Carol

Hi Carol, William Scott would have been the father in law of the bride. Im not sure why my family would have a set piece photo with a work colleague, they didn't have much money at all to spend on photos of none family I would imagine!   :P

Grateful for your thoughts!

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 09 February 22 22:34 GMT (UK) »
Older man in first photo looks similar to the father in the groups wedding photo, however I’m not sure they are the same man. Chin looks different, face shape maybe different …. Could they be brothers or cousins? Not sure where the chap in coloured photo fits into that scenario. 

Alexander has similarities to young man in first photo but his face looks plumper when older (filled out? gained weight?) He’s a nice looking man.

You have some wonderful photos.  :)

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 09 February 22 22:59 GMT (UK) »
Did misunderstand your first post then Ruskie, or did say the older man in the first photo was the same man in the second photo in colour ???
Carol