Author Topic: Single Mother linked to my DNA - Ethel Lillie Leahair  (Read 566 times)

Offline ResearchJu

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Single Mother linked to my DNA - Ethel Lillie Leahair
« on: Tuesday 08 February 22 11:42 GMT (UK) »
I have been contacted by a DNA match to me.  We think the link is through her ancestor Ethel Lillie Leahair born 22nd August 1882 in Maidstone, Kent.  Ethel had four illegitimate children and oddly she used her Maiden name, on 2 of the certificates, as 'Quelch' which was my Grandmother's Maiden name.  On one certificate she states:- 'Gave birth to Leonard Alexander 9/12/1911 mothers maiden name states E L Leahair, formerly Quelch, father named as George Leahair, coffee taverners' assistant.   
 On the 1911 census she is living with George Leahair and has the first child on 9/12/1921.  I think we have narrowed it down to 2 of the Quelch men - my Grandmother's Uncles.  One lived close to her - oddly though he was married twice but had no children with his wives although he adopted his second wives' son - who was born 6 months before they married - maybe it was his!  I'm awaiting the birth certificate. On the 1921 census Ethel said that she was single but her children's parents were both alive - which would link it to Albert Victor Alexander Quelch as he is the surviving brother of the 2 I thought it could be.  Ethel had her own house even though she appeared to be a waitress and took in laundry and left nearly £2000 and died a spinster.  Just wondering if I've missed anything or if anyone has any idea of any other routes I can check.  Thanks very much.

Offline Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Single Mother linked to my DNA - Ethel Lillie Leahair
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 08 February 22 12:07 GMT (UK) »
Are you saying that there was no such person as the George LEHAIR/LEAHAIR who appears in 1911?

Debra  :)

Offline ResearchJu

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 08 February 22 12:20 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for your message.  Sorry, yes it appears that way.  And also no George Quelch.

Offline jinks

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Thomas Pye
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 08 February 22 15:06 GMT (UK) »
Are you any relation to a George Henry Quelch that appears to own property in London?
Ashton Lancashire
Eccles Lancashire
Fletcher Lancashire
Harwood Church/Darwen
Jackson Staffordhire/Worcestershire
Jenkinson Cockerham
Marsden Hoghton Lancashire
Mercer Lancashire/Yorkshire
Pye Wyresdale
Singleton Lancashire
Swarbrick  Longridge
Watt Scotland/Lancashire

Offline ResearchJu

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 08 February 22 15:27 GMT (UK) »
Are you any relation to a George Henry Quelch that appears to own property in London?

Ooh thanks.  No I don't think so but I'll take a look - can I ask where you found that information from? 

Offline jinks

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Thomas Pye
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 08 February 22 15:39 GMT (UK) »
I was looking for a George Quelch - using the possibility of George being the Quelch rather than Lillie and familysearch kept throwing up a George Henry Quelch born circa 1877 - He is residing in Ryde, Isle of wright with wife last child listed born 1911, so I sort of discounted him, but checked the voting registrations in London (which also came up in the search) not sure if it's the same person. Just the the George (In London) seemed a possibility due to her owning her own home etc on a waitress wage.   
Ashton Lancashire
Eccles Lancashire
Fletcher Lancashire
Harwood Church/Darwen
Jackson Staffordhire/Worcestershire
Jenkinson Cockerham
Marsden Hoghton Lancashire
Mercer Lancashire/Yorkshire
Pye Wyresdale
Singleton Lancashire
Swarbrick  Longridge
Watt Scotland/Lancashire

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 08 February 22 16:10 GMT (UK) »
I think we have narrowed it down to 2 of the Quelch men - my Grandmother's Uncles. 

Sorry am a little confused - to be her father do you mean or something else?
Hinchliffe - Huddersfield Wiltshire
Burroughs - Arlingham Glos
Pick - Frocester Glos

Offline ResearchJu

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 08 February 22 16:42 GMT (UK) »
I was looking for a George Quelch - using the possibility of George being the Quelch rather than Lillie and familysearch kept throwing up a George Henry Quelch born circa 1877 - He is residing in Ryde, Isle of wright with wife last child listed born 1911, so I sort of discounted him, but checked the voting registrations in London (which also came up in the search) not sure if it's the same person. Just the the George (In London) seemed a possibility due to her owning her own home etc on a waitress wage.   

Brilliant Thanks.

Offline ResearchJu

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 08 February 22 16:43 GMT (UK) »
I think we have narrowed it down to 2 of the Quelch men - my Grandmother's Uncles. 

Sorry am a little confused - to be her father do you mean or something else?

Yes sorry I meant that one of the Quelch men may have been the Father.  Read that message several times before I sent it but still missed things!!