Author Topic: Cemetery disappeared…  (Read 965 times)

Offline John915

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Cemetery disappeared…
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 08 February 22 21:02 GMT (UK) »
Good evening,

This is the grave location at the dropped pin. But placing the little man beside it doesn't appear to be the correct location.

https://portal.royalparks.org.uk/LANSA/TRP/TRPw0005.html

John915

Added, wrong link should have been a picture.
Stephens, Fuller, Tedham, Bennett, Ransome (Sussex)
Rider (Fulham)
Stephens (Somerset)
Kentfield (Essex)

Offline John915

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 08 February 22 21:17 GMT (UK) »
Back again,

It wont let me back on now but go to reply #14, click first link. Then fill in name and date of death and it puts the dropped pin on the grave location.

Although I tried to drop the little man right beside it it seems to put him over by the circle in the path.

John915
Stephens, Fuller, Tedham, Bennett, Ransome (Sussex)
Rider (Fulham)
Stephens (Somerset)
Kentfield (Essex)

Offline melba_schmelba

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 08 February 22 21:31 GMT (UK) »
Back again,

It wont let me back on now but go to reply #14, click first link. Then fill in name and date of death and it puts the dropped pin on the grave location.

Although I tried to drop the little man right beside it it seems to put him over by the circle in the path.

John915
I wondered what you meant there John  ;D. Yes, the little orange man that you get on Google Maps, I see  :), this would usually let you see a streetview, but in Brompton Cemetery's case, unfortunately I don't think the paths have been photographed otherwise they would show up blue, the image that shows up is in fact just a single photo of somewhere in the cemetery nearby but not that exact location. I think the pinpoint is correct, given the larger number being measured from the north point of Q section, and the smaller number from the east. But, as I said, about 30% of these pins are wrong (I found out the hard way after having a fruitless first visit) and you should double check using the old maps with the alphabetical section numbers.

Offline Enumerated

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 09 February 22 11:35 GMT (UK) »
I have difficulty in understanding why his death registration has St. George, while he was burried in Brompton. 
His address was Pimlico, which is presumably where he died, so that is why his death was registered in St George Hanover Square register office.
All the churchyards and burial grounds in central London were full up and had been closed by 1862, so most Londoners were buried in one of the new 'magnificent seven' cemeteries on the outskirts of London, of which Brompton Cemetery was one.
Brompton is in the Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea which would explain the entry in deceasedonline.

Offline Iain...

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 09 February 22 15:19 GMT (UK) »
Thank you everyone.  I live quite near Waterloo, hence my interest.  My book about them is due out this summer. 
I had been hoping to make a trip to London but Covid restrictions put paid to that.  I’ve a list as long as my arm for things to see.

Thank you for all your help.   ;)
Kind Regards…, Iain. 
McArthur - Campbeltown and Tiree Scotland
Black - Campbeltown Scotland - Rathlin Ireland
MacFarlane - Tiree
Wood / Boorman / Gimber / Lee... KENT
Dennett / Mase / Varrier /  Over... KENT