Author Topic: Lily Hilton Parkinson  (Read 1287 times)

Offline scarboroughsarah

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Lily Hilton Parkinson
« Reply #18 on: Friday 11 February 22 15:44 GMT (UK) »
Hi
I tried following the Mary Jane Hilton line back but found that Lilly/Lilley Hilton is on the 1911 census with her mother Mary Jane Hilton so she cannot be the Lily Parkinson that is on the 1911 census with the Finch family as she can't be in two places at once!
I think you may be right that Lily was born as a Hilton but just find that I can't be certain enough that she is the right Lily Hilton Parkinson to add info to my tree....

On the other side of the marriage - James Brown Grundy. On the marriage register from Abram Parish Church it definitely says William Beech is his father, yet when I got a copy certificate from the GRO it says William Beech Grundy!
How can the image on Ancestry show William Beech only?? It looks like the genuine article, a handwritten, signed marriage register from the church where they married on 1st May 1915.....any ideas? Thanks again :-)

Offline scarboroughsarah

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 11 February 22 16:02 GMT (UK) »
The other interesting thing perhaps is there is a John Parkinson and family in Lily Lane, the address Lily uses when she married

Mabel
where did you see a John Parkinson and family living in Lily Lane please? on a census?? thanks...:-)

Offline Cas (stallc)

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 11 February 22 17:32 GMT (UK) »
Could you give census details of 1911 census with Mary Jane and Lily, that you have found. Did you track forward to see if she married?

Lily & James marriage cert is online, original copy does not include given name for James father as Grundy, it Just states William Beech.

Just a thought: A possibility?

The second witness is Maggie ? Does not look like Leary to me, unable to locate on census.

In reply #8 - 1901 the given census has Maggie Ashurst. Maggie married Samuel Rae in 1914. 1921 census index has her born Upholland along with Samuel and few children. They are in West Derby.

Do you think there is a possibility that Maggie "Raey" witnessed the marriage. Unable to put a screenshot of surname. That could be a possible link. I would make her half sister to Lily.

Just trying to help.
Census information is Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Squire/Thomas/Davies/Gibbons/Mordecai/Bowen/Lewis/Rees/Williams/Jones/Llewellyn/Morgan - Glamorgan
Lewis - Breckonshire
Davies/Roderick - Myddfai Carms
Lloyd/Jones - Denbigh/Salop
Thackwell/Thomas - Hereford/Monmouthshire
Shoemac/Squire/Keirle/Small - Somerset
Berry/Baggot/Lee/Clayton - Lancs
Yelland/Bray/Trethewey - Cornwall
Baggot/Hurley/Keaveny/Shiel/Flynn - Ireland

Offline Mabel Bagshawe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 11 February 22 22:00 GMT (UK) »
The other interesting thing perhaps is there is a John Parkinson and family in Lily Lane, the address Lily uses when she married

Mabel
where did you see a John Parkinson and family living in Lily Lane please? on a census?? thanks...:-)

electoral registers - at no 20 or no 22

Family in 1911: https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:XWYZ-WYK

I suspect however it may be a coincidence

Offline scarboroughsarah

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Saturday 12 February 22 11:32 GMT (UK) »
Could you give census details of 1911 census with Mary Jane and Lily, that you have found. Did you track forward to see if she married?

Lily & James marriage cert is online, original copy does not include given name for James father as Grundy, it Just states William Beech.

Just a thought: A possibility?

The second witness is Maggie ? Does not look like Leary to me, unable to locate on census.

In reply #8 - 1901 the given census has Maggie Ashurst. Maggie married Samuel Rae in 1914. 1921 census index has her born Upholland along with Samuel and few children. They are in West Derby.

Do you think there is a possibility that Maggie "Raey" witnessed the marriage. Unable to put a screenshot of surname. That could be a possible link.

Just trying to help.

Hi Cas

Thanks for the reply. I really do appreciate your input (and anyone else's too!)
The family in 1911 where there is a Mary Jane Hilton (maiden name Menzies) with a John Hilton and a daughter Lily (aged 20). Having looked further into it Lily was born in 1890 not 1891 like I'm looking for and went on to marry a Norman T Pendlebury in July 1916.

I checked with the Registrars and they say the original marriage register says James Brown Grundy's father is William Beech Grundy, yet I thought the register shown on Ancestry was the original and it definitely says William Beech only (no Grundy). It is hand written and looks authentic so I can't understand why one version says William Beech and one apparently says William Beech Grundy.

Offline scarboroughsarah

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Saturday 12 February 22 11:33 GMT (UK) »

Mabel

electoral registers - at no 20 or no 22

Family in 1911: https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:XWYZ-WYK

I suspect however it may be a coincidence

Thanks Mabel. I think it's maybe just a coincidence, Parkinson was a pretty common name in the area I think.
I can't see the record as I don't subscribe to family search but I appreciate your input. Thanks :-)

Offline Cas (stallc)

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Saturday 12 February 22 11:43 GMT (UK) »
I would go with what you see. The marriage cert is a scanned image of original on Ancestry. Also you know that James Brown was not born Grundy.

He was a nurse child in 1891, his foster mother Ann married Peter Grundy in 1892 he then stayed with the family and took on the Grundy surname. 

Martha Ann Foster was the illegitimate child of Ann Foster, baptism and GRO birth reg verifies. She is Martha Grundy in 1901. Married as Martha A Grundy in 1910.

All this can be verified by census, GRO birth reg around birthdate and pob. There is no birth reg or bapt to connect James to Ann Foster.  Also online trees have some or same evidence. I know that online trees can have misleading info, but some get it right.

I do not have anymore suggestions to help, sorry, rather than what information is given on thread by all.

Best wishes.  Good luck with your search

Cas
Census information is Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Squire/Thomas/Davies/Gibbons/Mordecai/Bowen/Lewis/Rees/Williams/Jones/Llewellyn/Morgan - Glamorgan
Lewis - Breckonshire
Davies/Roderick - Myddfai Carms
Lloyd/Jones - Denbigh/Salop
Thackwell/Thomas - Hereford/Monmouthshire
Shoemac/Squire/Keirle/Small - Somerset
Berry/Baggot/Lee/Clayton - Lancs
Yelland/Bray/Trethewey - Cornwall
Baggot/Hurley/Keaveny/Shiel/Flynn - Ireland

Offline Mabel Bagshawe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Saturday 12 February 22 19:05 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Mabel. I think it's maybe just a coincidence, Parkinson was a pretty common name in the area I think.
I can't see the record as I don't subscribe to family search but I appreciate your input. Thanks :-)

There's no subscription for Familysearch - you have to register but no payment required

Offline scarboroughsarah

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Sunday 13 February 22 09:15 GMT (UK) »

There's no subscription for Familysearch - you have to register but no payment required

Oh, Ok Mabel. Thanks. I'll take a look.