Author Topic: Roman Catholic Baptism Certificates for Dodd children 1882-1893  (Read 1360 times)

Offline Lola5

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Roman Catholic Baptism Certificates for Dodd children 1882-1893
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 10 February 22 11:47 GMT (UK) »
Re Thomas
There was a Thomas H Dodd receiving an army pension on17 April 1879. He was a viewer? In R S A factory (ormight be RFA )reason for pension was reduction....whatever that is.
It gives no personal info though.

Veronica/ ELIZABETH. (Dodd ) North
She might have chosen that name at confirmation and decided to use it.?

Offline samsscraps

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 10 February 22 12:04 GMT (UK) »
Yes I think that is Thomas in the pension record but like you say no personal info & I don't know how to find out more to do with that.

Gooing to have a search now on Elizabeth as she was not listed in the household on Louis's Army enlistment in 1904 - so if I work my way backwards from there

Thank you  again :)

Re Thomas
There was a Thomas H Dodd receiving an army pension on17 April 1879. He was a viewer? In R S A factory (ormight be RFA )reason for pension was reduction....whatever that is.
It gives no personal info though.

Veronica/ ELIZABETH. (Dodd ) North
She might have chosen that name at confirmation and decided to use it.?

Offline samsscraps

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 10 February 22 12:42 GMT (UK) »
Ok I have just found a record for  William McNally married to a Mary McMullan (She would have been 12) here on Find my Past https://search.findmypast.com.au/record/browse?id=ire%2fprs%2fmicrofilm05478-01%2f0035

And then a record for the marriage of Thomas Dodd & Margaret McNally but I don't know how to view the file - keeps taking me to a WorldCat site when I add the Film number in to search

Name:    Thomas Henry Dodd
Marriage Date:    28 May 1881
Marriage Place:    St. Mary, Hexham, Northumberland, England
Spouse: Margaret Mcnally
FHL Film Number:    2046658
Reference ID:    p 122 n 243 

Offline jonw65

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 10 February 22 13:37 GMT (UK) »
MF 2046658 includes records for the Catholic Church, St. Mary's, Hexham, Northumberland
https://www.familysearch.org/search/catalog/784588

But we can't view the film.

Other observation, from your birth certificates, Mary Dodd is at 6 Botts Mews for quite a long time.
John Howgate is listed there on electoral registers in the 1880's, including 1881 (number 6 was unoccupied in the census that year)
The only John Howgate I can see in London is the chap at 98 Westbourne Grove, that address is right by Botts Mews. He is a tea dealer there in 1881, and is also on the electorals.

Paddington Directory 1893 has Henry Meadow & Son, carpenters, at 6 Botts Mews.
Also listed in Botts mews were Thompson the sweep, a bicycle maker at number 8, and a confectioner (2)

At number 2 in the 1891 census was a marine store dealer. Only six dwellings in Botts Mews, half of which were unoccupied.
It kind of looks to me that Mary Dodd might have had some financial support from someone, even if it wasn't her husband :-\

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Thursday 10 February 22 17:11 GMT (UK) »
Ok I have just found a record for  William McNally married to a Mary McMullan (She would have been 12) here on Find my Past https://search.findmypast.com.au/record/browse?id=ire%2fprs%2fmicrofilm05478-01%2f0035

And then a record for the marriage of Thomas Dodd & Margaret McNally but I don't know how to view the file - keeps taking me to a WorldCat site when I add the Film number in to search

Margaret McNally is living in Hexham in 1881 and Thomas Henry Dodd,  wife Margt Ann are still there in 1891.

Your search is Mary though, isn’t it?
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline jonw65

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Thursday 10 February 22 19:43 GMT (UK) »

They are at 55 Kensington Park Road in 1901. Convent Gardens was in the same enumeration district.
So there is a fair chance Mary may be the Mrs Mary Dodd on the electoral registers at 18 Convent Gardens in 1905 and 1906.
Weirdly, a George (William) Chaplin, carpenter, once lived at the address, well before.

Then in 1907, Mrs Mary Dodd is at 5 Acklam Road, Kensington. The Convent Gardens address is referenced.
Not listed there later.

Offline jonw65

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Thursday 10 February 22 19:56 GMT (UK) »
Louis's Army enlistment in 1904

Any addresses for next of kin?
Louis Harold Dodd, born 1886, King's Royal Rifle Corps, number, 8018
Wo 96 Militia Service Records

Offline samsscraps

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Thursday 10 February 22 21:57 GMT (UK) »
Yes they were at Botts Mews for sometime & I thought it a bit strange they were there for so long on their own. I am assuming they had help or Thomas was sending money or both but this family is just making more mysteries for me lol

1893 is when Gerald was born & Thomas was listed as a carpenter so maybe he worked for them

MF 2046658 includes records for the Catholic Church, St. Mary's, Hexham, Northumberland
https://www.familysearch.org/search/catalog/784588

But we can't view the film.

Other observation, from your birth certificates, Mary Dodd is at 6 Botts Mews for quite a long time.
John Howgate is listed there on electoral registers in the 1880's, including 1881 (number 6 was unoccupied in the census that year)
The only John Howgate I can see in London is the chap at 98 Westbourne Grove, that address is right by Botts Mews. He is a tea dealer there in 1881, and is also on the electorals.

Paddington Directory 1893 has Henry Meadow & Son, carpenters, at 6 Botts Mews.
Also listed in Botts mews were Thompson the sweep, a bicycle maker at number 8, and a confectioner (2)

At number 2 in the 1891 census was a marine store dealer. Only six dwellings in Botts Mews, half of which were unoccupied.
It kind of looks to me that Mary Dodd might have had some financial support from someone, even if it wasn't her husband :-\

Offline samsscraps

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Thursday 10 February 22 22:03 GMT (UK) »
Yes I have been unable to find a marriage between Thomas Dodd & Mary McMillan but the record for Thomas & Margaret McNally keeps appearing in my searches, I think the name Margaret is incorrect but cannot view the file.  I have discarded this before it as I could not find a first Marriage for Mary. Last night I found marriage to a Wiliam Mcnally to Mary McMullin November 1869 Ireland & need to somehow view the below record to see if this is my Thomas & Mary if that makes sense

I am unsure how to view the files not online though

Margaret McNally is living in Hexham in 1881 and Thomas Henry Dodd,  wife Margt Ann are still there in 1891.