Author Topic: Roman Catholic Baptism Certificates for Dodd children 1882-1893  (Read 1359 times)

Offline samsscraps

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Roman Catholic Baptism Certificates for Dodd children 1882-1893
« Reply #36 on: Saturday 12 February 22 05:20 GMT (UK) »
I get it all good, I have learnt what RSA is as I have this pension record tagged & I do think it fits my Thomas hard to know further without the extra family details. Thomas is only listed as Thomas on the birth certificates, The Henry came from a marriage certificate of one of the children by memory, just not near my records so he may have just been Thomas Dodd. When I search I usually just search for Thomas Dodd to start & then go through the Thomas Henry as well

Hi
I was just having a stab at identifying the Thomas H Dodd in that pension record. The one who "retired" in 1879.

The Royal Small Arms Factory was in Enfield, but Birmingham was an important place in gun making and there seems to have been some government connection in the 19th century.
So I am thinking that the Thomas in Aston, who had been in the army, ended his military "service" in a factory there, as a viewer.
His age seems right.

I don't think the chap in that pension record looks like the same person Mary has as the father on the children's birth certificates.
There are other Thomas Dodds in the army pension records (but no Thomas Henrys?)
John

Offline samsscraps

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Saturday 12 February 22 05:29 GMT (UK) »
All good I appreciate everyone's help. Been stuck on this for sometime & I just think the records I need are out there just not available to me. A little harder to search from Australia as I am restricted to whats available online.

I tried the Irish naming pattern too but it looks like she Clara Matilda was named after Matilda Doran/Crowe who I can't link to the family other than family friends or previous neighbours. Gerald Harcourt is after George Harcourt Chaplin who again seems to be a family friend/godparent.

I have not been able to find any McMillan or Dodd marriages, I believe 1 or both of them were widowers. Mary possibly Married William McNally in 1868 in Ireland then I have a record that I can't view to check that says Dodd to Margaret McNally - I think the name has bee mistranscribed, have had a few like that where I have then checked the original & it was the ancestor I was looking for

Yes. I see.
I was doing the same...trying to go through the Thomas Dodd s who were in army...but there are so many.
There were both Dodd an d  Mcmillan families s in areas of Ireland....but also in Liverpool and other areas of England
Many Irish emigrating went  first to
 Liverpool.
Cannot find a Mary  J McMillan marrying aThomas Dodd in Liverpool  though..
It seems no Irish naming pattern used for the children.

Offline samsscraps

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Saturday 12 February 22 05:37 GMT (UK) »
Thank you everyone, I think I may have to lay this one to rest a bit as I feel like it is so close but pieces missing still & I am limited to online records but think there is possibly something just not online that will crack this family open for me. I'm happy to purchase records but am on a limited budget at the moment

I really do appreciate the time & effort everyone has put in helping me out, I have learnt some new things about the army records & the area of Botts Mews which I have shared with my family

Updated - I may have found a link between George Chaplain possible service number 457 & Thomas Dodd - I have found them both in the 47th Brigade serving in Afghanistan but Thomas is listed as being married to an Ellen Walker in 1885

Is there a way to cross reference all the different brigades to see any other George & Thomas serving together. I just kind of stumbled across them serving in the 47th Brigade & I am not very good with Fold3

Offline Lola5

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Saturday 12 February 22 11:52 GMT (UK) »
That Thomas Dodd of the 47th  was born in Bethnal Green. Attested 18 Sept 1877.
I checked him and  he didnt seem to fit. ?

Cannot read my own scribbles.

Some had dreadful illnesses.
All makes for interesting reading.

Genealogy is " all a mystery" as my 4 Yr old grandson used to say years ago .
You will solve it eventually.