Author Topic: Marriage John Rogby = Elisabeth Cole  (Read 1384 times)

Offline Neale1961

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Marriage John Rogby = Elisabeth Cole
« Reply #18 on: Monday 14 February 22 21:47 GMT (UK) »
I too had a look at those two possible deaths for Sarah (Peck) Rogby, and after some searching could not decide which one is yours. I had seen the address “Ship Lane”, when looking previously at the Rogby family, but could not recall where and for whom, and I could not find it again.
Sarah’s last child was born in 1804 and then hubby died in 1805. I thought she may have married again, but I could not find evidence. Sarah had no sons to support her as a widow, so I wonder how she managed.

I really think you need to look closer to home than Middlesex for the wife, Sarah PECK.
There are PECK families living in Sutton St Edmunds Lincolnshire, just 10 miles from Wisbech. One in particular has a daughter named Sarah.
Sarah PECK baptised 30 Oct 1768 Gedney Hill Holy Trinity , abode Sutton St. Ed
Father William PECK, mother Sarah DUNCASTER - married 18 Apr 1763 Sutton St Edmunds

There are other possible spellings of the PECK surname – PEEK and PIKE for instance, that you might consider too.

It is all speculation at this stage, isn’t it. :)

EDIT to ADD:
It is possible that William Peck , the father died 13 Dec 1778 Sutton St Edmunds (burial). Then did his widow and children moved to Wisbech?
Sarah PECK, widow of PECK burial 05 Mar 1785 Wisbeck St Peter.
That leaves young Sarah in the right place and in need of a husband.
Again, even more speculation. ;)

Milligan - Jardine – Glencross – Dinwoodie - Brown: (Dumfriesshire & Kirkcudbrightshire)
Clark – Faulds – Cuthbertson – Bryson – Wilson: (Ayrshire & Renfrewshire)
Neale – Cater – Kinder - Harrison: (Warwickshire & Queensland)
Roberts - Spry: (Cornwall, Middlesex & Queensland)
Munster: (Schleswig-Holstein & Queensland) and Plate: (Braunschweig, Neubruck & Queensland & New York)

Offline maddys52

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 15 February 22 00:13 GMT (UK) »
There is also this entry for a Sarah ROGBY at Wisbech in the register of duties paid for Apprentice's Indentures. I'm not sure what the profession is "mantuan" ? It is dated 27 Sept 1808. Again, not sure that this is your Sarah.

Offline Neale1961

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 15 February 22 00:20 GMT (UK) »
That’s interesting. I would think it is “mantua maker” - mantua was type of cloak. There is a tiny M after the word mantua.
She may have been skilled enough to start up her own business - assuming it is George’s widow. The date would certainly fit with that scenario.
Milligan - Jardine – Glencross – Dinwoodie - Brown: (Dumfriesshire & Kirkcudbrightshire)
Clark – Faulds – Cuthbertson – Bryson – Wilson: (Ayrshire & Renfrewshire)
Neale – Cater – Kinder - Harrison: (Warwickshire & Queensland)
Roberts - Spry: (Cornwall, Middlesex & Queensland)
Munster: (Schleswig-Holstein & Queensland) and Plate: (Braunschweig, Neubruck & Queensland & New York)

Offline maddys52

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 15 February 22 00:48 GMT (UK) »
Ah yes, I thought it was something like that, I can see a few advertisements around this time for mantua makers, often with millinery.

Offline Westee

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 15 February 22 02:34 GMT (UK) »
I too had a look at those two possible deaths for Sarah (Peck) Rogby, and after some searching could not decide which one is yours. I had seen the address “Ship Lane”, when looking previously at the Rogby family, but could not recall where and for whom, and I could not find it again.
Sarah’s last child was born in 1804 and then hubby died in 1805. I thought she may have married again, but I could not find evidence. Sarah had no sons to support her as a widow, so I wonder how she managed.

I really think you need to look closer to home than Middlesex for the wife, Sarah PECK.
There are PECK families living in Sutton St Edmunds Lincolnshire, just 10 miles from Wisbech. One in particular has a daughter named Sarah.
Sarah PECK baptised 30 Oct 1768 Gedney Hill Holy Trinity , abode Sutton St. Ed
Father William PECK, mother Sarah DUNCASTER - married 18 Apr 1763 Sutton St Edmunds

There are other possible spellings of the PECK surname – PEEK and PIKE for instance, that you might consider too.

It is all speculation at this stage, isn’t it. :)

EDIT to ADD:
It is possible that William Peck , the father died 13 Dec 1778 Sutton St Edmunds (burial). Then did his widow and children moved to Wisbech?
Sarah PECK, widow of PECK burial 05 Mar 1785 Wisbeck St Peter.
That leaves young Sarah in the right place and in need of a husband.
Again, even more speculation. ;)

Another huge and great find.  This could very well be her.  It would certainly seem more likely.  I never did like the Middx connection!  Will continue to research this family.

Offline Westee

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday 15 February 22 03:50 GMT (UK) »
Just clicked.  John  Rogby's wife was born in Sutton, St Edmund, Lincoln.  Now we have my George Rogby marrying Sarah Peck  (also possibly from Sutton, St Edmund, Lincoln).   Just maybe Elisabeth and Sarah knew each other - who knows an introduction may have happened. Loving it.

Offline DCB

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Tuesday 15 February 22 10:31 GMT (UK) »
A little bit on the extended family:-

Jane Rogby, daughter of John and Elizabeth, was living with her sister, Phyllis Marris, on Lynn Road, Wisbech in 1841-51. Both described as Proprietors of land and houses. Son, Robert Marris, a Chemist and druggist assistant.

Robert Marris, born 1783, buried on 3 Jul 1835 in Wisbech
Cambridge Chronicle and Journal 03 July 1835:
On Monday last, at Wisbech, greatly respected, Mr. Robert Marris, many years clerk to Messrs. Usills

Robert Marris, son of Phyllis and Robert, baptised in Wisbech on 6 Apr 1819

1861: Robert a Proprietor of land and houses at 28, Lynn Road, Wisbech St Peter, Wisbech, with Martha Oakley, a servant
Aug. 28, at the Wesleyan chapel, by license, Mr. Robert Marris, Lynn-road, to Miss Martha Oakley, Lynn-road
1871: At the same address with Martha and children, Phyllis, 7, and Herbert, 3.
Robert Marris, b 1819, buried on 20 Aug 1872 in Wisbech.

Cambridge Independent Press 09 June 1849
Museum donations:
"; specimens of the Redshank, Pigmy (sic) Curlew, Little Stint, and Ring Plover, (mounted) by Mr. Robert Marris, Lynn Road;"

David

Offline DCB

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Tuesday 15 February 22 11:32 GMT (UK) »
Martha Marris of Metheringham, married again to John Sainty, of Wisbech, at the Wesley Chapel, Clasket gate, Lincoln on 11th May 1874 at Wisbech. The abodes may be the wrong way round.

1881:
John Sainty Head 42 1839 Dairy farmer Norfolk
Martha Sainty Wife 37 1844 - Thorney, Cambridgeshire
Phellis Eliza Sainty Daughter 16 1865 - Wisbech, Cambridgeshire
Herbert Sainty Son 13 1868 - Wisbech, Cambridgeshire
Florence May Sainty Daughter 8 1873 - Wisbech, Cambridgeshire

1891: Peel Green Road, Eccles, Barton upon Irwell, Lancashire
John Sainty Head 40 1851 Warehouseman house trade Burnham, Norfolk
Martha Sainty Wife 47 1844 - Thorney, Cambridgeshire
Phyllis E Marris Daughter of wife  27 1864 Private teacher Cambridgeshire
Jerenelle M Sainty Daughter 18 1873 Private teacher Cambridgeshire
Ivan J Sainty Son 18 1873 Operative Lincoln, Lincolnshire

Phyllis E Marris died Q2 1929, age 65, in Salford District.

Herbert emigrated to Canada and then USA where he married Mammie Mary Clementine Phillips, b 1 April 1878 in Idaho
Six children on family trees, including Herbert Oakley Marris in 1903
He died on 6th August 1948

David

Offline Westee

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Tuesday 15 February 22 19:52 GMT (UK) »
There is a Susanna Peck born to a William Peck and Sarah Duncaster 21 August 1763 in Sutton St Edmunds, Lincoln.  She could possibly be a sister to Sarah Peck born 30 October 1768 to same parents.  I am thinking that we have the right parents for my Sarah Peck as when she married George Rogby, one of the girls was named Susanna.  Assumption, but feeling confident.  Thanks so much Neale and Mandy.