Author Topic: Marriage John Rogby = Elisabeth Cole  (Read 1385 times)

Offline Westee

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Marriage John Rogby = Elisabeth Cole
« Reply #27 on: Sunday 20 February 22 19:19 GMT (UK) »
If anyone can help with one more brick wall I have had; this follows on with the family:-

Sarah Peck married George Rogby m. 1786 (already established). 
Sarah and George had 7 children (all female).  Mary Rogby (my 3x g/grandmother) was their 6th child born 1799.

Mary married Henry M Miller and they had two children born in Wisbech before moving to London and producing a further 8 children.  I have completed research on all of the children (which is amazing and many wonderful stories); however, the 7th child named Charlotte Miller b. 1837 is a mystery.  She married a Joseph Alexander Bird (b. 24/3/1839), Hackney; firstly on 13th May 1860 by licence at the Parish Church, Islington with witnesses William Payne and Elisabeth Pattison.
Secondly, on 9th June 1860 at the Parish Church, Hackney (1b 532) by banns and her brother and sister were both witnesses on this occasion. 

I know Joseph had been in Newgate then aged 2 yrs,  with his mother (receiving stolen goods).

I cannot find Charlotte nor Joseph Bird in the 1861 census.  They have disappeared altogether.

Any help in finding Charlotte and/or husband would be wonderful.  There may be other posts (from the past) but I am not too sure how to bring them up; but I don't think I have requested anything on Charlotte or Joseph before. 

Offline Neale1961

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Sunday 20 February 22 22:12 GMT (UK) »
As you say, they do seem to vanish.
There are gaps in the 1861 census for middlesex, so that may be why you don't find them there. But after that I don't see them either. Any deaths found?
I didn't find any children born to them in the middlesex area in the 1860s.
Perhaps they immigrated. I did see a couple of shipping lists for a Joseph A. Bird of the right age, a merchant, between England and USA.
Milligan - Jardine – Glencross – Dinwoodie - Brown: (Dumfriesshire & Kirkcudbrightshire)
Clark – Faulds – Cuthbertson – Bryson – Wilson: (Ayrshire & Renfrewshire)
Neale – Cater – Kinder - Harrison: (Warwickshire & Queensland)
Roberts - Spry: (Cornwall, Middlesex & Queensland)
Munster: (Schleswig-Holstein & Queensland) and Plate: (Braunschweig, Neubruck & Queensland & New York)

Offline Westee

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Sunday 20 February 22 22:31 GMT (UK) »
I haven't found any deaths either.  Did order one for a Joseph Bird in Mddx some time ago, but was not correct.

Maybe they did immigrate.  On his marriage cert. he did state he was a "Commercial Clerk" which could relate to being a 'merchant'.

Just found a note in my book from a few years back:- 'Joseph Henry Bird b. 24 September 1863 - Jamaica', ....of all places.  The parents names were not on my page.  Worth checking; as Henry was Charlotte's father's name.

Offline Westee

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Monday 21 February 22 00:43 GMT (UK) »
I don't think that Joseph Henry Bird is ours; as the marriage shows up on Ancestry and nothing matches the family.