Author Topic: The Guildhall, Doncaster  (Read 218 times)

Offline PurdeyB

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
The Guildhall, Doncaster
« on: Thursday 10 February 22 08:20 GMT (UK) »
My great grandfather, Samuel Bettley, was a police constable living and working in villages to the west of York. He was missing from the 1921 census at his home address with his wife described as the acting head of household. I've found Sam shown as a boarder at the Guildhall, Doncaster along with a police sergeant and several other constables. I've snipped the address and think it says 'Science Room' as well as the Guildhall.

I've found online that the Guildhall was used as the police station in Doncaster but that the city had its own force until later in the 20th century, when it merged with the West Yorkshire constabulary. Sam and his colleagues are shown as employees of West Riding County Council and their work addresses are various villages around the West Riding, which I think were their usual postings. Sam's work address is Marston, which is the village of Long Marston where he lived and worked in a police house.

Does anyone know more about the history of the Guildhall as a police station that might shed light on why Sam and the others were boarding there? I saw some reference to the magistrates' court being behind the Guildhall but it seems unlikely they'd all have been required for a single case given their disparate working locations. Would training have taken place there?
Boutflower/Boutflour - Northumberland & County Durham
Branfoot - N Yorkshire, Northumberland & County Durham
Horwell - York, E Yorkshire & Lincolnshire
Bettley - N & W Yorkshire

Offline Dyingout

• RootsChat Senior
  • My Father Charles in his hockey playing days
    • View Profile
Re: The Guildhall, Doncaster
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 10 February 22 10:04 GMT (UK) »
Hi yes I did my police-community badge for The Duke of Edinburgh Bronze award, at the guildhall in 1966.

Yes it was the Magistrates court, the police station was mostly above and beside the court house and the jails were below.

1921 was a year of industrial unrest in most of the country. Miners and dock workers were protesting against poor wages and conditions.
The worst of the protests were on 15th April 1921, so possibly all police were called to central stations.
Dow/Dowe Norfolk and Suffolk
Mulley/Wilden Suffolk
Loome/lombe Norfolk

Offline PurdeyB

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: The Guildhall, Doncaster
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 10 February 22 14:05 GMT (UK) »
Hi, it's great to hear from someone who knew the building. After I posted  this morning I heard something about the 1972 miners' strike on the radio and it made me think that a strike could well have been the reason. I had a bit of a sinking feeling because Sam's father was a miner and I remember how divisive the 1984 strike was. Good to have the thought confirmed.

It really should have been obvious to me before because on the other side of my family, my grandfather was a pattern maker & his oldest brother was a boiler maker both working in shipyards in the north east. Both are on the 1921 census (aged 24 and 34) living at home and out of work.
Boutflower/Boutflour - Northumberland & County Durham
Branfoot - N Yorkshire, Northumberland & County Durham
Horwell - York, E Yorkshire & Lincolnshire
Bettley - N & W Yorkshire