Author Topic: Robert's occupation  (Read 528 times)

Offline clarksparks

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Robert's occupation
« on: Thursday 10 February 22 14:20 GMT (UK) »
Any ideas please to read the occupation of my great grandfather Robert Taylor in 1901 in Southampton? He was previously a tram car driver in Bristol and later a tram car driver in Southampton. The word 'Tram' has been added across all 3 entries.

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Robert's occupation
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 10 February 22 15:04 GMT (UK) »
That's tricky...best guess, Mining Coal...Collier? The second word could be collector?
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline Crumblie

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 10 February 22 15:10 GMT (UK) »
The top one is electric motor man which is another name for a tram driver, perhaps the second one is conductor.

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 10 February 22 15:27 GMT (UK) »
Looking at the full page I don’t think the occupational annotation ‘tram’ has been added to all three.
The third one (coachman) has been annotated as ‘groom’ and I think the letters CC have but added to the one in question.

Looking at the handwriting elsewhere on the page I think the last letter of the word is ‘k’

The reference is RG13/1072/105/17
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline GR2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 10 February 22 15:32 GMT (UK) »
FindMyPast has it transcribed as Comcl Clerk = commercial clerk. An entry for someone else further down the page says "Tramway Conductor" written in full.

The line begins with an oblique stroke, as do all the lines in the column on the page, then a word which seems to be scored through. It seems to end in -ing.

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 10 February 22 15:41 GMT (UK) »
I was thinking that the second word might be clerk.
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline GR2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 10 February 22 15:48 GMT (UK) »
The Hampshire Advertiser of 24-11-1900 reports on a court case where Robert Taylor "who was driving the tram car referred to" was a witness to a collision between two other vehicles.

Offline Karen McDonald

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • ** THINK POSITIVE! **
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 11 February 22 10:24 GMT (UK) »
I can't decipher the word that has been crossed through (strangely, it does not look like a capital letter at the beginning), but to me the other 2 bits look like Cond and a badly written abbreviation of electric.

Would conductor electric make sense, seeing as other chappies around him were on the trams?

McDonald MacDonald M'Donald McGregor MacGregor M'Gregor Twilley Wells Fentiman Carrington Rowe Needham Mitchell Mackie Collingwood Fuller Maides Shilton Hagon Budd

Offline clarksparks

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 11 February 22 10:41 GMT (UK) »
Thanks everyone for trying. I guess we'll never know exactly what it says. Robert went on to work as a tram car driver in Southampton for many years, having been an 'ostler' in Devon when he was much younger. Unfortunately employee records for Southampton Tram Co. were destroyed in the blitz.
Thank you, Jeff.