Author Topic: Frances Howard a Braybrook relative? Died abt 1810-15  (Read 824 times)

Offline frederickay

• RootsChat Veteran
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
Re: Frances Howard a Dampier Bishop of Ely relative ?
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 21 October 23 06:47 BST (UK) »
Hi , I must have missed this in amongst my cluttered research but thank you . I am not sure what files you are getting information from but I am now going to try find out what Th.yd means . Frances Jones aged 21 . Buried St Mary le Strand . Address 317 Strand with the letters as above beside her name . TH.yd .
I would like to find the family tree of Thomas Dampier and wife Elizabeth Sleech to see if they had a daughter Frances . Any suggestions please .
valentine.fairhurst,hayes,hammond,codling,rust.norfolk.deyrujo.jutsum.wharton.lacey,probert,prickett,preby atherley-jones.clifton ..london /china. judd, eubank , dixon , hine , airey ,park .twentyman , dampier , jones in suffolk , limby , derrick , stockwell..

Offline jonw65

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Frances Howard a Braybrook relative? Died abt 1810-15
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 21 October 23 08:27 BST (UK) »
Post Office London Directory, 1817
Jones Mary, Cheesemonger, 317, Strand

Offline jonw65

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 21 October 23 08:42 BST (UK) »
Post Office London Directory, 1817
Jones Mary, Cheesemonger, 317, Strand

Was Mary herself actually alive in 1817 though?
Burial at St Mary le Strand, 6 March 1814
Mary Jones
Abode 317 Strand
Age 48

There is a PCC will for her
Will of Mary Jones, Widow of Strand, Middlesex
3 June 1814
https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/D222853

Two sons. Three daughters, including Frances Jones

Offline frederickay

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 21 October 23 09:31 BST (UK) »
That s interesting as it appears Mary Jones would be mother of Frances Jones and therefore it is unlikely the Frances Jones mentioned buried aged 21 is the WIFE of Charles Jones .so
Can we assume ( dangerous territory ) that the Frances Howard who married Charles JONES ,Sept 1816 is not the same Frances Jones buried the following year . This family is sent to try me endlessly .  Thanks . Fred .
valentine.fairhurst,hayes,hammond,codling,rust.norfolk.deyrujo.jutsum.wharton.lacey,probert,prickett,preby atherley-jones.clifton ..london /china. judd, eubank , dixon , hine , airey ,park .twentyman , dampier , jones in suffolk , limby , derrick , stockwell..

Offline jonw65

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 21 October 23 10:59 BST (UK) »
In her will Mary says
"My will is that my said three daughters the said Elizabeth Jones Sarah Jones and Frances Jones shall be at liberty to live and reside at my said dwelling house and be supported therein out of their respective proportions of their Moiety of the said Estate"

I think it is fairly safe bet that the Frances Jones buried at St Mary le Strand in 1817 was not the wife of Charles.

Offline jonw65

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 21 October 23 11:17 BST (UK) »
Trying to compare the signatures of Charles Jones from those two marriages at St. George Hanover Square in 1816 and 1818. To my mind they do not look like they were made by the same person.

Offline Little Nell

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 21 October 23 16:20 BST (UK) »
I think you will find that the notation in the margin of the burial register is 'Ch.Yd' - the churchyard.  Comparing it with other capital letters in the same hand in the register, the letter 'T' is written quite differently.

Nell
All census information: Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline frederickay

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 21 October 23 19:41 BST (UK) »
Hi . JonW , I have many samples of Captain Jones writings and will scour them for a signature . Am I able to find the site you are seeing them because I may recognise his writing . Thank you for your interest and help . Fred .

Offline jonw65

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 21 October 23 23:09 BST (UK) »
Hi
The images of the marriages are on ancestry (Westminster, London, England, Church of England Marriages and Banns, 1754-1935) I will try and attach the signatures.

The marriages seem very different to me, and the second one is reported in quite a number of newspapers.

Charles Jones Br. and Frances Howard Spr. both of this Parish were married in this
Church by Banns...8 Sep 1816
Witnesses Wm? Cumming, Matilda Cumming X her mark

Charles Jones Esqr of the Parish of Saint James Westminster Widower and Charlotte Matilda Annesley
Spinster of this Parish were married in this Church by Licence... 2 Feb 1818
Witnessed by Ernest and ? Baroness de Berg??

The lady witness is named in the newspapers, Madame de Berg, represented the Duchess of Cumberland. The Duke attended, and presumably is Ernest, the other witness!
The licence seems to be a Canterbury one issued by the Vicar General (be interesting to have the documents)