Author Topic: STAFFORDSHIRE MOORLANDS - stories or memories of Traveling families  (Read 422 times)

Offline amandski

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
STAFFORDSHIRE MOORLANDS - stories or memories of Traveling families
« on: Friday 11 February 22 09:28 GMT (UK) »
Good morning all,
I was wondering whether anyone has any stories or memories of Traveller families, specific people or stopping places that they would like to contribute to a research project I am currently involved in. There are a number of documents and old photographs which show that Romany Gypsy and Irish Travellers travelled across the Staffordshire Moorlands area. I am collecting these together on a new website that will hopefully help others who, like me, are researching their Traveller families. The research is funded by a group called Support Staffordshire and it's a way of celebrating the Traveller heritage of the area. I have the task of gathering stories or memories to display alongside the photographs and memories. So if any of your family were travelling in or through this area and you have a story, or 2 or 3, to tell, please let me know. You can have your name displayed on the website if you choose or it can go on there anonymously if you prefer. I am finding a lot of Boswells, but there are other surnames such as Sheriff, Locke, Cooper, Gregory, Blewit, Sayles, Bailey, Smith and Holland to name just a few.
Many thanks in advance
Goodwin
Gaffey
Smith
Bentley
Dooney
Bates
Mann
Parkin

Offline medpat

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: STAFFORDSHIRE MOORLANDS - stories or memories of Traveling families
« Reply #1 on: Friday 11 February 22 11:06 GMT (UK) »
Bentley Moor the rear of Reedswood Park Walsall had travellers on in my childhood - now just north of junction 10 on the M6.

There was a lane from the moor towards what is now the Beechdale Estate known as Gypsy Lane and Beechdale was called Gypsy Lane Estate for a short while in the 1950s.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beechdale,_West_Midlands

This map could give you information about the area of Bentley Moor in1902

https://midland-ancestors.shop/Walsall-map-St63.06
GEDmatch M157477

Offline amandski

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: STAFFORDSHIRE MOORLANDS - stories or memories of Traveling families
« Reply #2 on: Monday 14 February 22 11:50 GMT (UK) »
Thank you so much. I will have a look at these links.

Take care
Goodwin
Gaffey
Smith
Bentley
Dooney
Bates
Mann
Parkin