Author Topic: Mary Morrison/Colligan Ballymote  (Read 2347 times)

Offline Max2121

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Mary Morrison/Colligan Ballymote
« on: Saturday 12 February 22 19:44 GMT (UK) »
Hello all,
My grandmother was Honoria/Norah Colligan her parents were Michael Colligan and Mary Morrison of Ballymote County Sligo.
I have been searching through records online and find the family in the 1901 and 1911 census.
While looking at records on Ancestry I see a few court records for Mary Colligan for either assaulting people or as a defendant she is down as a married woman.
What are the odds this is likely to be my great grandmother is there any way I could try and find out.
I am also trying to find details of Michael and Mary's parentage their fathers are Pat Colligan and Michael Morrison. If anyone could possibly point me in the right direction it would be much appreciated.
Thank you for reading this.

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Mary Morrison/Colligan Ballymote
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 12 February 22 20:18 GMT (UK) »
Yes, it certainly looks to be her. There are some references which give the address as Newtown as 1901. Also other persons mentioned are Morrison.
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Max2121

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 12 February 22 20:41 GMT (UK) »
Thank you so much I did kind of think it must be but didn't want to jump to conclusions.
Thank you for your quick response

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 13 February 22 00:07 GMT (UK) »
This is a useful site - free but you sign in. It has civil records.

https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/civil-search.jsp

You know about the Irish census site.

This is the Catholic parish and has some church records. Ancestry and Find my Past have indexes otherwise it is a trawl through the records.

https://registers.nli.ie/parishes/0121

You can look for birth records post 1864 on Irish genealogy - above.

Added 13th February

I have just removed a large text where I thought I might have found Mary’s family in the censuses.

I have now revisited the marriage certificate and see that her father Michael was deceased so the previously posted info was wrong.
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/marriage_returns/marriages_1879/11056/8044982.pdf

Thomas Morrisson was a witness so that could help.

Offline Max2121

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 13 February 22 10:19 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Heywood, for the information, I did see the original text just before I went to sleep last night but thought I would reply this morning.
I do have her in the 1901 and 1911 census with her family so that's all good.

I will look up Thomas as you suggest and see what I can find, you did mention her mother was Hanoria/Honoria Kivil/Kevil who I know some people have in their trees so that is fantastic that you have seen the record for that.
I have only seen a birth record for a Mary Morrison born 1867 Sligo, this fits with her age in the 1911 census but it didn't mention her mother so at least I am a step further on.

Thank you so much for your time I appreciate it, will see if I can find anything on Michael Colligan and his father Pat.

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 13 February 22 10:32 GMT (UK) »
Here is that Mary Morrison’s birth with mother Honor Kevil.
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/birth_returns/births_1867/03485/2281292.pdf

I thought it so good but then there is the census records in Carrownacreevy  :-\

Offline Max2121

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 13 February 22 11:04 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for sharing that is amazing to see and finally have the names and dates.
I am just looking at it and having a little trouble with the writing, can you make out the place name ? Part of it looks like Keash but I can't be sure or make out the first name beginning with C.
Having a look at a map of the area to see if anything leaps out.

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 13 February 22 11:17 GMT (UK) »
I agree Keash
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caves_of_Kesh

I think it reads Carrowcreeva /Carroncreeva which is possibly Carrownacreevy
https://www.townlands.ie/sligo/corran/toomour/bricklieve/carrownacreevy/

This then goes back to the censuses where Michael,and Honoria are alive in 1901 with a daughter Mary. :-\

Offline Max2121

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 13 February 22 11:22 GMT (UK) »
Thank you and doesn't it get more confusing as when she married her father was deceased?
Just going through those microfilms you sent me the link for and there do seem to be a few Morrisons.
What would be the chances of the family having parents with the same first names though?
We always have Michaels in our family it was my dad's name after his grandad Michael Colligan, also my son's name and my nephew's middle name. Honoria a bit more unusual but also my grandmother's name obviously after Honoria Kevil.

Just looking through the microfilm for marriages to try and find then and think I may have come across my Michael Colligan's parent marriage, I know his father was Pat Colligan and there is a marriage between a Patrick Colligan and Mary Davy 1843 (Not the strongest link I know )
anyway just thought I would add that in