Author Topic: william pollock benson  (Read 801 times)

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: william pollock benson
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 13 February 22 18:17 GMT (UK) »
Larne Times, 3 July 1947: ... Benson, ex-Royal Engineer, who now ... baking establishment in Princes Street, Edinburgh, and his bride was Miss Rose Manson, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Hugh Manson, Portland Road, Larne Harbour. Up to lately the bride was popular employee in the Mourne Clothing Co., Larne, and many readers will remember her father an Irish Guardsman in World War 1 ...
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 13 February 22 18:23 GMT (UK) »
Looks like Rose's father died only a few months before she did-
Larne Times, 29 Jan.1953: The Wife and Family of the late Hugh Manson wish to thank all kind Friends and Neighbours who sympathised with them in their recent sad bereavement, especially those ...

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 13 February 22 18:32 GMT (UK) »
A bit more information on the marriage in 1947:

Larne Times, 3 July 1947: ... Presbyterian Larne, by the Rev. ... William, second son and Mrs. William Benson, 7 Crescent, Craigcnlinny [?], to Rose, second daughter and Mrs. Hugh Manson, ... Road, Larne Harbour.

A lovely bit of detail here expanded from earlier notice-
Larne Times, 3 July 1947: Baked His Own Cake. MASTER baker from Edinburgh. who made and baked his own wedding cake and brought it over to Ulster, was the bridegroom at pretty wedding Gardenmore Presbyterian Church, Larne, on June 27. He was Mr. William Benson, ex-Royal Engineer, who now ... baking establishment in Princes Street, Edinburgh, and his bride was Miss Rose Manson, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Hugh Manson, Portland Road, Larne Harbour. Up to lately the bride was popular employee in the Mourne Clothing Co., Larne, and many readers will remember her father an Irish Guardsman in World War 1 ...

Offline lyndsey86

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 13 February 22 21:30 GMT (UK) »
Thank you so much for all the help and information on my Father in law, I will be following up the marriage and death. My husband have planned a trip to Ireland later this year, we will be paying a visit to the church and addresses. Thank you all once again.

Ann Benson

Offline lyndsey86

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 23 March 22 22:05 GMT (UK) »
Hi
I would like to thank everyone for helping me with my enquiry, I now have my Father in law's marriage certificate and Rose's death certificate. I now am trying to find out about her brother Hugh and his wife Ann Manson and family. Hugh must have been in the RAF, stationed at Compton Bassett, Wilts, England.

Ann Benson

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 23 March 22 22:44 GMT (UK) »
Glad that you've bee able to get more details. Don't think we found this earlier-

Larne Times, 7 Dec.1944: Wedding of Larne Airman A.C.I Thomas Manson, R-A.F., second son of Mr. and Mrs. Hugh Manson, Portland Road. Larne, and his bride, Miss Elizabeth Hanna, oldest daughter of Mr. and Mrs. William J. Hanna, Glynn Road, Larne, following their wedding in Gardenmore ...

Larne Times, 8 Feb.1951: ... John M'Murtry. Interred in Larne Cemetery on Sunday, 4th inst. Deeply regretted by her Daughter and Son-in-law, Mary and Hugh Manson, and Family.
M'MURTRY— February 2, 1951,. Rose M'Murtry, dear grandmother ... Thos. Manson. Deeply regretted by Tommy, Elizabeth ...

Larne Times, 21 Jan.1954: ... his loving Wife and Family, 4 Portland Road, Larne Harbour. In our thoughts. MANSON In loving memory of my dear father, Hugh Manson, who died 18th January, 1953. Ever remembered by his loving Daughter. Son-in-law and Grandchildren, Joan and Jim Lyle...

Belfast Telegraph, 16 June 1980: MANION, MARY (MOLLY) June 15, 1960, at Hospital, dearly-loved eldest daughter of the late Hugh and Mary Manson, 31 Ramore Green, Larne (formerly of Portland Road). Funeral from her home, tomorrow (Tuesday), at 2 p.m., to Larne Cemetery

Offline lyndsey86

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 24 March 22 16:20 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
Thankyou for the additional information. My husband and I are overwhelmed by all of it.

Ann Benson

Offline Jon_ni

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 24 March 22 22:34 GMT (UK) »
Ann
FMpast newspapers https://search.findmypast.com/search/irish-newspapers was mentioned but the source of the newspaper notices kindly supplied is I suppose really sister subscription site British Newspaper Archive https://www.britishnewspaperarchive.co.uk/ . The Optical Character recognition is sometimes not the best hence the need for 'tidying'. Sometimes surname recognitiion can be poor too so often I search by County Antrim and 'funeral' and just open & read if a death date is known from eg https://geni.nidirect.gov.uk/ (day of death to 2 days later). The Belfast Telegraph was widely used throughout NI from 1950 so worth searching as well as the local Larne paper, The Nortern Whig and Belfast Newsletter are also possibilities but stop 1957.

BNA and Findmypast have the same owner (like newspaper dot com & Ancestry), but newspapers are only available with full World Pro or Ultimate sub on FindMyPast and the search options are more limited (as I have a FindMyPast sub already I use that). Both are free to search but if you want to see the images, read and snip any of the above then a one months sub to BNA is marginally cheaper than one month FindMyPast Ultimate British & Irish; beware with both you need to cancel auto-renew.
However, one gets 3 free trial views on BNA if register but do not subscribe, so you could be selectable in advanced search and narrow to exact paper, day and name (husband would also get 3 free views if registered with different email).

Offline lyndsey86

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 02 April 22 23:44 BST (UK) »
I have sourced Rose's siblings gravestones, they are in buried in Greenland Cemetery, Larne. I did contact the minister of the church Rose and William were married hoping they held parish records and was hoping there would be a cemetery attached to it, not to be. I also contacted the Crematorium, again no records. I thought Rose might have been laid to rest in the same Cemetery as her siblings. I am hoping someone can help.

Ann