Author Topic: Survey of number of DNA matches of different kits by country - a stark contrast!  (Read 2634 times)

Offline melba_schmelba

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Survey of number of DNA matches of different kits by country - a stark contrast!
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 16 February 22 18:57 GMT (UK) »
Also another kit of 795cM with American father.  Note that my Kits 2 and 3 have one American grandparent.
Oh, this is getting complicated  ;D. When you say American father, do you mean long settled American, i.e. descended from settlers back to the 1850s or before or only one or two generations in the US? If I excluded the two kits with American grandparents (and not include this one with an American parent), the UK average would go back down to 398 . If I take your UK kit with an American parent as an honorary US kit (which I already did for a half American Canadian), the US average for 4th cousin or closer goes to 1372. If I then take the difference between that new US average and the UK average, we get an average increase of 974 matches for US kits vs UK kits. If we then surmise that having one US grandparent gives roughly 1/4 of that increase, we get 398 + 243 = 641 which isn't too different from your two kits with one US grandparent (619 + 870) :).

Online Nova67

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Survey of number of DNA matches of different kits by country - a stark contrast!
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 17 February 22 04:20 GMT (UK) »
I have access to 17 kits.

1. 206 Australian-German
2. 111 German
3. 394 Australian
4. 402 Australian
5. 383 Australian
6. 440 Australian
7. 291 Australian
8. 155 Australian-Hungarian
9. 137 Australian-Hungarian
10. 123 Australian
11. 359 Australian
12. 422 Australian-Italian
13. 713 English
14. 1000+ Australian
15. 605 Australian-Dutch
16. 1000+ American
17.  867 American

Dual nationality refers to the immediate parents of the tester.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 17 February 22 08:57 GMT (UK) »
Also another kit of 795cM with American father. 

I'm not sure why I wrote 795cM. It should  be 795 cases of 20cMs and over .
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline rsel

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 20 February 22 07:15 GMT (UK) »
I have 3 UK kits myself and my parents :-

1. Myself       - 351
2. My Father  - 410
3. My Mother - 358

Now my mothers family seems to have had very little emigration that i have found, but my father family has spread around a lot of the former UK Colonies (i.e US, Canada, Australia and South Africa), so i am assuming higher numbers for him are connected to the US testers.

Richard
Sellens - Sussex
Newham - Surrey
Wellington - Dagenham, Essex
Camp - South Essex
Wren - Essex
Livermore - Essex
Wane - Essex
Fisk - Essex / Suffolk
Bailey/Bayley - Sussex
Newton - Sussex
Funnell - Sussex
Streeter - Sussex
Coates - Sussex
Maisey - Surrey

Offline melba_schmelba

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Monday 21 February 22 12:29 GMT (UK) »
I have 3 UK kits myself and my parents :-

1. Myself       - 351
2. My Father  - 410
3. My Mother - 358

Now my mothers family seems to have had very little emigration that i have found, but my father family has spread around a lot of the former UK Colonies (i.e US, Canada, Australia and South Africa), so i am assuming higher numbers for him are connected to the US testers.

Richard
Thanks Richard, yes these are all closer to my original UK kit levels. If I still exclude gadget's kits with the two American grandparents, including your kits, UK average is now 379.

Offline melba_schmelba

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Monday 21 February 22 12:35 GMT (UK) »
I have access to 17 kits.

1. 206 Australian-German
2. 111 German
3. 394 Australian
4. 402 Australian
5. 383 Australian
6. 440 Australian
7. 291 Australian
8. 155 Australian-Hungarian
9. 137 Australian-Hungarian
10. 123 Australian
11. 359 Australian
12. 422 Australian-Italian
13. 713 English
14. 1000+ Australian
15. 605 Australian-Dutch
16. 1000+ American
17.  867 American

Dual nationality refers to the immediate parents of the tester.
Thanks Nova :) Most seem to be roughly in line with my original Australian average of 306. Nos. 13-15 seem slightly anomalous - do they have any close American or Irish links perhaps? I thought Italians may also have a reasonably high level of matches due to such huge emigration to the US.

Online Nova67

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Monday 21 February 22 22:56 GMT (UK) »
In case people do not know, once you get over 1000 4th - 6th  cousin matches Ancestry stops stating how many, hence 1000+. I have a way to go, as I am test kit  #1.

13. Has known English-Scottish heritage mainly. Found them a surprising Aussie grandfather (but also of that Anglo-Scotch heritage). There has been some American immigration for the family group we share, but I do not know about the rest.
14. I do not know why this is so high for an Australian. Mainly English-Scottish heritage only gets a 7% Irish ethnicity estimate, but unsure how this fits in. Can see through swopping DNA results which (Australian-English) family groups they belong to, but not how to exactly connect the dots.  The paper trail is not matching the scientific trail there.
15. Australian- English-Dutch-Slovenian-Hungarian - would be higher American immigration.

14 and 15 are related to each other.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Monday 21 February 22 23:11 GMT (UK) »
In case people do not know, once you get over 1000 4th - 6th cousin matches Ancestry stops stating how many, hence 1000+. I have a way to go, as I am test kit  #1.

Should that be 4th cousins or closer?

My matches as of 1 min ago:

2 more since I gave you kit 1 info, melba ;D
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline melba_schmelba

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Tuesday 22 February 22 10:51 GMT (UK) »
In case people do not know, once you get over 1000 4th - 6th  cousin matches Ancestry stops stating how many, hence 1000+. I have a way to go, as I am test kit  #1.
Actually you can get the full figure, although 1000+ is what it shows on the DNA home page. If you go into the DNA matches page, then go to filters at the top, then Shared DNA, it will give you the exact figure :).
13. Has known English-Scottish heritage mainly. Found them a surprising Aussie grandfather (but also of that Anglo-Scotch heritage). There has been some American immigration for the family group we share, but I do not know about the rest.
14. I do not know why this is so high for an Australian. Mainly English-Scottish heritage only gets a 7% Irish ethnicity estimate, but unsure how this fits in. Can see through swopping DNA results which (Australian-English) family groups they belong to, but not how to exactly connect the dots.  The paper trail is not matching the scientific trail there.
15. Australian- English-Dutch-Slovenian-Hungarian - would be higher American immigration.

14 and 15 are related to each other.
Hmmm, interesting Nova, perhaps Scots have a raised level of US matches? Perhaps it may be true that as a % of the overall population, Scots had higher emigration to the US, than from England or Wales. Or perhaps because of the whole Scottish clan thing, they are interested in genealogy that little bit more so get tested more?? One frustration with Ancestry as opposed to MyHeritage (and actually a really useful feature of MH) is lack of the testers country, although you have to be careful as sometimes you will get British expats in unusual places :D. So it is hard to make an accurate tally of from where someone's matches most hail from - although if they have a tree it can be obvious from that, but about a 1/3 don't have any tree or private trees.