Author Topic: Survey of number of DNA matches of different kits by country - a stark contrast!  (Read 2635 times)

Offline cbowley

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Survey of number of DNA matches of different kits by country - a stark contrast!
« Reply #36 on: Wednesday 30 March 22 00:53 BST (UK) »
Here's some additional data.

Country4C or closerTotal matchesRelationship
UK39019,395mother
UK39126,654sister
UK28415,629brother
UK26515,338me
UK61521,9524C1R
USA59511,344half 2C
South Africa29217,759predicted half 2C who turned out not to be
South Africa23112,534father of above
UK58617,123relationship yet to be established
UK47012,645relationship yet to be established
UK41419,278mother of previous two
New Zealand49114,066relationship yet to be established
New Zealand50214,331relationship yet to be established
New Zealand45115,974mother of previous two

The USA case is interesting. His grandfather emigrated from the UK, ending up in New York and married an Italian. Their son married a Greek. Consequently, he has a large number of high cM, close relatives but they are all relatively recent immigrants to the USA so the total number of matches is low. It would be even lower but his 3GGPs were Irish. They moved to England in the wake of the famine but it looks like many of their relatives headed in a different direction and populated Connecticut.

The 4C1R has lots of relatives that emigrated from the UK, right back to the Mayflower. Plenty in the USA know of such ancestors but not many in the UK would be aware of such a relationship.

My sister's higher numbers compared to my brother and me seem partly down to her match strengths not being so badly affected by TIMBER.
Bowley - Leicestershire/Nottinghamshire.
Cooper/Lungley - around the River Blackwater in Essex.
Austen - Kent
Haspinall - London
Judd/Perren - Wiltshire
Manfull/Thirtle/Cannell - Norfolk/Suffolk

Offline brigidmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Computer incompetent but stiil trying
    • View Profile
Re: Survey of number of DNA matches of different kits by country - a stark contrast!
« Reply #37 on: Wednesday 30 March 22 01:21 BST (UK) »
Ok this technophobe has found correct button
& Hope you understood typos in previous post
Which I can no longer modify

4th cousin match or closer 

American Jewish 2c has an incredible number57,670

Mother 1 Jewish gparent 1 Welsh 1.488
Me  half Scottish  . Based in England 421
My Cousin UK based but 1 Jewish ggf 1063
Paternal aunt Scots :464

Unrelated UK; 313
& 460

Roberts,Fellman.Macdermid smith jones,Bloch,Irvine,Hallis Stevenson

Offline AngelaR

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Wednesday 30 March 22 09:01 BST (UK) »

The other annoying thing about the Ancestry declared numbers is that the figure given for "4th cousins or closer" actually, on inspection, appears to consist mainly of matches in the category of "4th to 6th cousin" when listed.  ::)
Not sure what you mean on this - the number I get on the main DNA page (i.e. if I click DNA at the top) matches what I then see if I click the Shared DNA filter at the top and then select the '4th cousin or closer' button?

Sorry about the delay in replying to this, @melba_schmelba.

What I meant by my comment was that, if I click the '4th cousin or closer' button, as you say, I do indeed end up with my second and third cousins in there BUT, the majority of the matches listed  (i.e. all the ones below those) are described in their individual headings as "4th to 6th cousins" and I know from the few of these that I can actually identify, that many of them are actually 5th cousins.

I am puzzled as to why, when selecting 4th cousins or closer, the list clearly includes a majority who are certainly more distant than 4th cousin, and even declared by Ancestry to be so...  ???
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Especially looking for - Sealey, Rogers, Cannings, Box, Sheppard in Wiltshire; Virgin, Slade, Abbott, Saint, Harper, Silverthorn in Somerset; and Virgin, Tarr, Beer in Devon

And most especially the origins of William Cannings,  a Baptist, born abt 1791 in Broughton Gifford, Wiltshire