Author Topic: Survey of number of DNA matches of different kits by country - a stark contrast!  (Read 2636 times)

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Survey of number of DNA matches of different kits by country - a stark contrast!
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 15 February 22 12:35 GMT (UK) »
I could give you 4 cases from UK . However, we all have ancestors whose kin went to USA. I'm not sure if that helps.
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Survey of number of DNA matches of different kits by country - a stark contrast!
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 15 February 22 12:39 GMT (UK) »
Here goes:

Kit 1 -  545
Kit 2 -  619
Kit 3 -  870
Kit 4 -  466

2 and 3 are siblings.
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline melba_schmelba

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 15 February 22 14:03 GMT (UK) »
Here goes:

Kit 1 -  545
Kit 2 -  619
Kit 3 -  870
Kit 4 -  466

2 and 3 are siblings.
OK, thanks for these :), including Petros' 2 kits, UK average of Ancestry DNA 4th cousin or closer is now 448. I also have a few close American relatives, and it is true they constitute quite a few of the closest matches for one my parent's kits, but I assume when you say siblings of ancestors, you are talking about many siblings who went c. 1880s-1900s and have many descendants, who constitute many of their closest matches? Are they mainly of English or Scottish, Irish, Welsh origins?

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 15 February 22 14:40 GMT (UK) »
Scots, Welsh and English from 1812 onwards. A few early 20c.

Many of the Scots went first to Canada (from 1820s)  and then moved about. The Welsh (from 1840s)  went mainly to Pennsylvania and then spread. The 1812s ones went to NY. Fewer went to Australia/NZ and South Africa (late 19c to early 20c). My parents nearly went to Canada in the mid 1930s.  Even I went to Canada in late 1960s but came back.

A wonder lust must be in the DNA

;D

PS - just remembered a Shropshire line went to Virginia in 1635

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 15 February 22 14:46 GMT (UK) »
I forgot - The Irish went to Scotland and then to Canada and Australia.

Offline melba_schmelba

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 15 February 22 18:27 GMT (UK) »
Scots, Welsh and English from 1812 onwards. A few early 20c.

Many of the Scots went first to Canada (from 1820s)  and then moved about. The Welsh (from 1840s)  went mainly to Pennsylvania and then spread. The 1812s ones went to NY. Fewer went to Australia/NZ and South Africa (late 19c to early 20c). My parents nearly went to Canada in the mid 1930s.  Even I went to Canada in late 1960s but came back.

A wonder lust must be in the DNA

;D

PS - just remembered a Shropshire line went to Virginia in 1635
The highest of my UK kits is actually my mother. She does have a lot of US matches from 50cM downward, one is a huge shared match group of over 100 down to 20cM, with at least 150 more below 20cM which also match the group. I am still not sure what links the group but admittedly I haven't studied it in huge detail. The highest matches are from an ancestral sister that emigrated to New York in the 1850s and there were several others who went to New York City. She also has several other cousins on Cornish and Sussex lines who settled in the mid West as farmers in the 1840s & 1850s probably being fairly prolific in their offspring.
 I am curious as to what Irish users might get - I suspect they would have a lower amount of close matches, but perhaps from the 2nd cousin level upwards they might actually overtake the average UK user due to such high Irish emigration to USA?

Offline noland01

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 16 February 22 12:21 GMT (UK) »

Regarding Irish users I manage 3 kits on Ancestry and can view a 4th .
The first 3 are Irish ;
Kit 1 has 355 4th cousins or closer
Kit 2 (child of kit 1 ) has 516 4th cousins or closer
Kit 3 has 426 4th cousins or closer .

Vast bulk of all matches would be US based descendants of 1850 - 1950 emigrants from Ireland .

Kit 4 is US and has 756 4th cousins or closer .
McDonnell McDonald Gorman Cronley Colman Deegan Dunne Maher Dempsey Conlon Griffin Bergin Lalor Keys Bonham Brennan Hart(Laois) Nolan Byrne O Byrne Brady Mullen Hanaway Brennan Keeffe Reddy (Carlow)
O'Neill Doyle Donnelly Devlin  (Tyrone) Connor, Burbidge,McNally (Dublin)Hannon McCarthy (Tipperary)Healy Miley Treacy (Wicklow)Kelly (Kildare)

Offline melba_schmelba

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 16 February 22 12:55 GMT (UK) »

Regarding Irish users I manage 3 kits on Ancestry and can view a 4th .
The first 3 are Irish ;
Kit 1 has 355 4th cousins or closer
Kit 2 (child of kit 1 ) has 516 4th cousins or closer
Kit 3 has 426 4th cousins or closer .

Vast bulk of all matches would be US based descendants of 1850 - 1950 emigrants from Ireland .

Kit 4 is US and has 756 4th cousins or closer .
Thanks noland, very interesting :). So if I take an average of those first 3 kits, it comes to 432 4th cousins or closer for Irish kits, just a little less than the current UK average of 448, probably, as you say, reflecting a lower number of testing overall in Ireland, but a higher number of US relatives descended from the vast wave of emigration which was much higher as a percentage of the population than GB. Is kit 4 a recent arrival to the US? It is quite a bit smaller than the 1661 average I have for two US kits of people of mostly pre 1840s US settlement.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 16 February 22 13:28 GMT (UK) »
Also another kit of 795cM with American father.  Note that my Kits 2 and 3 have one American grandparent.