Author Topic: Death/obit Jane Allen, Nov 15, 1885, Osgoode, Carleton Co., Ontario, Canada  (Read 611 times)

Offline Peggy13

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Death/obit Jane Allen, Nov 15, 1885, Osgoode, Carleton Co., Ontario, Canada
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 15 February 22 19:55 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Sandra for the followup. Looks like Fanny did belong to John Craig and Sarah Ann Allen.
Also looks like people have mixed up the families of Thomas Craig with wife Margaret and Thomas Craig with wife Mary Allen.
The Samuel on the 1861 and the 1871 is Arthur's son married to my Elizabeth Johnston. I haven't figured out who Margaret is on the 1861 age 7 or 9. If she belongs to Samuel, he must have been married previously as Samuel's marriage to Elizabeth took place in 1857 so Margaret cannot belong to Elizabeth. Census says she is a family member.
Peggy
Meggison-Durham, Northumberland and Canada
Johnston - Co. Derry, Ireland
Groves - Co. Derry, Ireland

Offline Peggy13

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 15 February 22 20:14 GMT (UK) »
Perhaps Margaret belonged to John Craig and Sarah Ann and is wrongly entered as Allen on the 1861.

Offline Peggy13

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 15 February 22 23:30 GMT (UK) »
Ok, seems that Frances Caroline belonged to Thomas Craig born abt 1823 Ireland, married to Margaret Birt of Quebec. Thomas and Margaret Birt had a son Thomas who married Margaret Moore.
Peggy

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 16 February 22 08:50 GMT (UK) »
Ok, seems that Frances Caroline belonged to Thomas Craig born abt 1823 Ireland, married to Margaret Birt of Quebec. Thomas and Margaret Birt had a son Thomas who married Margaret Moore.
Peggy

Sorry Peggy, that is in correct Thomas Craig born to Thomas Craig and Margaret Birt never married.
Showed single on all the census.

Here is his obituary - note it says "unmarried"

The Ottawa Citizen Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
9 Apr 1928, Mon    Page 2

https://www.newspapers.com/clip/95074642/thomas-craig-9-april-1928/

Buried with sister Fanny Craig and a niece Mary Gaffney wife of Thomas Larkin.

https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/224888951/thomas-craig

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 16 February 22 09:01 GMT (UK) »
Peggy

The surname "Moore" turned up in the previous generation.  Thomas Craig born 1823 Donegal Ireland  was the son of Thomas Craig born 1798 and Rachel Bridget Moore 1798 - 1854 (died aged 56 years) daughter of John Moore.

Sandra

"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 16 February 22 09:23 GMT (UK) »
This was the one brother who survives Thomas Craig 1869 - 1928 and mentioned in his obit

Obituary for David Craig which mentions the Larkin relatives.

The Ottawa Citizen Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
17 Oct 1938, Mon    Page 2

https://www.newspapers.com/clip/95074959/obituary-for-david-craig-craig-aged-68/

Sandra

Offline Peggy13

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 16 February 22 15:30 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Sandra for clarifying that Thomas Craig, son of Thomas Craig and Margaret Birt, was single when he died in 1928. I must admit that I did wonder when I saw the gravestone previously and compared it to the online tree that I found, saying that he had married Margaret Moore. 
On findagrave, I have just found the info on the Thomas Craig who married Margaret Moore. That Thomas was born Aug 23, 1845 and died Mar 2, 1914. Margaret was born 1853 and died 1929, no parents given on findagrave. Obviously, a different Thomas.
The gravestone brings up another question. I see that Fanny still had surname Craig when she died in 1920. Her sister Mary married John Larkin (as per tree) and her sister Rachel married James Charles Larkin (as per tree). So I  looked to clarify which Larkin that Thomas who married Mary Gaffney belonged to and it was John, whose parents were given as John Larkin and Mary Gregg,as per Ontario marriages. Marriage was Aug 10, 1910.
Thank you also for Rachel's funeral record in 1854. With great difficulty, I managed to read it. But the last line says wife of J. Craig, as best as I can make out. I cannot make out the surname of the first witness, but I think the second is George Murphy.