Author Topic: Help with Ancestry DNA Communities  (Read 1633 times)

Offline littlebrownduck01

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Help with Ancestry DNA Communities
« Reply #27 on: Sunday 20 February 22 09:32 GMT (UK) »
Wow. You’re right Lanc81 - my Polish community has now completely disappeared!
Ancestry had clearly done something weird and gone back on themselves. I only noticed the community a couple of days ago - definitely wasn’t there last month. And now it’s gone again.
I’m guessing they have realised they got something wrong somewhere.
So that puts this whole thread to bed. But at least I understand the concept better now.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Sunday 20 February 22 10:13 GMT (UK) »
When did you take your test?

Lanc81's  father did his in November and his ethnicity info isn't dated. It could be that they are still calculating the info against their database or their database for those communities are changing (based on family trees  and DNA). Also, what size and how accurate is your tree?

You could, as I've suggested, contact Ancestry.  As I said earlier, I don't really pay much attention to the ethnicity component. Also, the communities they've allocated to me fit my research.
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Sunday 20 February 22 13:30 GMT (UK) »
Another reference:

https://www.yourdnaguide.com/ydgblog/ancestrydna-genetic-communities

Excerpts:

The company uses the DNA you have in common with others to assign you to various ancestral genetic communities. Then they assign places to each of those clusters by drawing on both the ethnicity data and family trees of everyone assigned to that cluster.
As the company gradually amasses more data, they periodically add new genetic communities.

“These are extremely accurate groupings that are based on both genetics and genealogy and reflect locations that absolutely (and I am not using that word lightly here) should be represented in your family history in the last 200 years. So before you even begin this search for your missing ancestor(s), take a look at your Genetic Communities if you tested at AncestryDNA. If you are a member of any Community that is currently not in your family tree, it’s time to take notes. It is very likely that one of your missing branches was standing on that very soil in the not-too-distant past.
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline Lanc81

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Sunday 20 February 22 14:26 GMT (UK) »
 :) thank you for the info interesting read. Having seen that ancestry consider them to be very accurate im just puzzled why they've disappeared. I could understand loosing one maybe, but 3?? They can't be that accurate. I'm awaiting a reply from ancestry will see what they say...

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Sunday 20 February 22 14:40 GMT (UK) »
Do report back as I'm puzzled by the removal. Have you looked at your father's shared matches' location search?  Maybe put just Poland in the box. It might turn up something. Alternatively, they're 'adjusting' but I don't expect they'll give much away!

These are my ethnicity and communities as of today and not changed since Sept 2021

Offline Lanc81

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Sunday 20 February 22 15:19 GMT (UK) »
Will do. Here's my father's results without the South Italian as that vanished too quick.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Sunday 20 February 22 15:22 GMT (UK) »
Are these the current screen shots as Slovakia & Hungary and  Southern Poland are on your last list.*

*Dated today

Offline Lanc81

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Sunday 20 February 22 15:53 GMT (UK) »
The current one is the one above the Slovakia Hungary screen shot, just says Lancashire Isle of man. Here's the reply from ancestry

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Sunday 20 February 22 15:59 GMT (UK) »
So we know a bit more of what they're doing !!!