Author Topic: Help with Ancestry DNA Communities  (Read 1636 times)

Offline littlebrownduck01

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Help with Ancestry DNA Communities
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 17 February 22 18:14 GMT (UK) »
So basically, we may not have ancestors in these community regions, but the people there or from there may share a common ancestor with us?

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 17 February 22 18:56 GMT (UK) »
So basically, we may not have ancestors in these community regions, but the people there or from there may share a common ancestor with us?

That's how I understand it and it has been like that with my links  :)

Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline littlebrownduck01

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 17 February 22 19:34 GMT (UK) »
Thanks. That’s really helpful. I guess that’s the best way to make sense of this since I have no obvious Polish ancestry and none of the DNA tests I’ve done indicate anything even remotely Polish. But I guess somewhere we might all share a common ancestor.

Offline Lanc81

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 17 February 22 19:36 GMT (UK) »
So ancestry are saying you likely have an ancestor from these Communities somewhere within the past 300 years? 

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 17 February 22 20:01 GMT (UK) »
So ancestry are saying you likely have an ancestor from these Communities somewhere within the past 300 years?

Not necessarily.  You are likely to have ancestors  or their kin who might have moved to those areas and settled there. I have many ancestors whose siblings went to Canada and the USA , mainly in the 19th century but also one group who went to Virginia in 1635. Their descendants spread out.
I also have communities in North Wales, NW  England (particularly around the Dee and Mersey estuaries and the Midlands. 
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline Lanc81

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 17 February 22 20:13 GMT (UK) »
Thank you  :). So maybe ancestors of my father moved to Hungary and Italy from the UK centuries ago could be a possibility? I can understand sharing groups with the USA or Australia/New Zealand (places where Brits emigrated to over the past 200 years or so)but I think adding these Communities to people with no known connections to places in Europe is confusing.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 17 February 22 20:19 GMT (UK) »
Could they, in the distant past have moved here? 

Have you got any matches under the particular community details that you can follow up? My matches and the info from my tree gives confirmation to my communities. I usually don't bother with them but they are more accurate than the the broad ethnicity estimates.

Offline Lanc81

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 17 February 22 20:53 GMT (UK) »
There's more matches for the Italian community group. There all mainly below 30cm and have very small trees, most have Italy in there main estimate though.My father has Italian in his estimate on the myheritage site so there could be something in that.
The Slovakia/Hungary group also have small or no trees and are all under 25cm they all show Eastern Europe in there estimates ( my father has 6% Baltics in his).All of the matches for South East Poland are below 15cm again not much tree info.
With the lack of tree information on matches and hardly any shared matches I think it's a dead end. Thank you for the replies I think I understand the process behind it a bit more now.

Offline Lanc81

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 19 February 22 12:57 GMT (UK) »
Just to update. Checked ancestry today and my father now only has Lancashire as a Communitie the other 3 have disappeared 😕.  Obviously there was no connection to these groups in the first place.