Author Topic: Divorce or annulment  (Read 1717 times)

Offline dmart7

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Divorce or annulment
« on: Thursday 17 February 22 11:40 GMT (UK) »
I have an ancestor who married frequently, sometimes bigamously.  The first two of his marriages (1907 and 1909) were especially short-lived but I cannot find evidence of divorce or annulment.  At this time he was in the army and he did not attempt to hide his name or background. In each case he just left his wife after a week when he was deployed overseas.  Was it possible, at this time, to get an annulment and, if so, would all records of it have been destroyed?  I am a little confused because I know of an unrelated case (in 1911), where there was a divorce based entirely on non-consummation, which I thought should have resulted in annulment

Offline tonepad

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Divorce or annulment
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 17 February 22 11:52 GMT (UK) »
Assume you are looking at Divorce in England and Wales, research guidance:

https://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/help-with-your-research/research-guides/divorce/

Tony
Aucock/Aukett~Kent/Sussex, Broadway~Oxfordshire, Danks~Warwickshire, Fenn~Kent/Norfolk, Goatham~Kent, Hunt~Kent, Parker~Middlesex, Perry~Kent, Sellers~Kent/Yorkshire, Sladden~Kent, Wright~Kent/Essex

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 17 February 22 11:57 GMT (UK) »
I have an ancestor who married frequently, sometimes bigamously.  The first two of his marriages (1907 and 1909) were especially short-lived but I cannot find evidence of divorce or annulment.  At this time he was in the army and he did not attempt to hide his name or background. In each case he just left his wife after a week when he was deployed overseas.  Was it possible, at this time, to get an annulment and, if so, would all records of it have been destroyed?  I am a little confused because I know of an unrelated case (in 1911), where there was a divorce based entirely on non-consummation, which I thought should have resulted in annulment

What is listed for his marital status for the all marriages that you've found?
Was his marriage to your ancestor before or after the two you mentioned or did he not marry the mother of his child/children?
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline dmart7

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 17 February 22 12:09 GMT (UK) »
Tony - I had just re-read the National Archives research guide, and this led to the question.

For the first three marriages, he put status as bachelor.  If divorced or annulled, he wouldn't have been lying or bigamous!  But there are no divorces on record, so I am left with annulment.  But this is the confusion.  If annulment meant that records were expunged, how come the marriage record remains and not the annulment.....

And how come an unrelated divorce case was based on non-consummation, which (these days at least) is grounds for annulment.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 17 February 22 12:16 GMT (UK) »
Was his marriage to your ancestor before or after the two you mentioned or did he not marry the mother of his child/children?

If there was no marriage was the child/were the children listed as illegitimate on the birth certificates or registered as if parents were married?
Was there any hint about his many marriages in the family? there may not have been any talk in front of children but sometimes wee snippets are dropped or years later something comes out to throw light on things.

Offline dmart7

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 17 February 22 12:23 GMT (UK) »

If there was no marriage was the child/were the children listed as illegitimate on the birth certificates or registered as if parents were married?
Was there any hint about his many marriages in the family? there may not have been any talk in front of children but sometimes wee snippets are dropped or years later something comes out to throw light on things.

Many thanks but this is a bit off the point.  These were proper marriages and there were no children (until a later marriage).  More marriages followed and I have all the details.  I am just trying to determine how he could marry for the 2nd and 3rd time without declaring his previous marriages. There is no record of divorce, so I am looking for advice about annulment.

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 17 February 22 12:38 GMT (UK) »
Personnel in H.M. Forces have to have permission to marry from their commanding officer.  Perhaps the marriage wasn't recognised where no permission was granted in writing.
Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 17 February 22 12:42 GMT (UK) »
I'm a bit confused now. I understand your original query in regard to the 1907 and 1909 marriages but I was looking at the bigger picture. These two marriages produced no children but you say 'more marriages followed' and no children 'until a later marriage' which sounds like you've found at least four marriages.

Personnel in H.M. Forces have to have permission to marry from their commanding officer.  Perhaps the marriage wasn't recognised where no permission was granted in writing.
I was just about to query whether that's what happened in the case of the first two marriages since you'd posted "In each case he just left his wife after a week when he was deployed overseas." IF that's the case them was he listed as bachelor for 3rd marriage?
Do you know what happened to third wife? for example, if she died then does subsequent marriage(s) list him as widower or is he again a bachelor on the certificate(s)?

Offline dmart7

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 17 February 22 13:13 GMT (UK) »

Thanks Rena. I had wondered about this. Would it have been the case for an ordinary soldier in the Dragoons in the early 1900s?  If so, and if permission was not requested or given, how would the marriage be dissolved or declared null?  And again, if so, could a devious fellow have calculated this in advance to, ahem, have his way and then soon after get out of his marriage!?