Author Topic: Foley death  (Read 833 times)

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Foley death
« Reply #9 on: Friday 18 February 22 14:37 GMT (UK) »
How awful for her - to lose her husband in such a short time.

Looking at the 1881 census - there is no John Foley in Scotland but there are 2 possible entries in Northumberland - given that Agnes was living there in 1939

1876 b Ireland - parents James & Jane also b Ireland.  James was a bricklayers labourer

1876 b Newcastle - parens James & Agnes - James was a stone mason
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Online Millmoor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 18 February 22 14:46 GMT (UK) »
I suspect your John Foley was born in Monkwearmonth, co Durham in 1876. There are attestation papers for him which name his father as James Foley of Newbottle, a miner. He first joined up in 1896 in Berwick joining the King's Own Scottish Borderers..

I think the death you have identified for John Foley in September 1915 is for a different John Foley as records show he was with the Highland Light Infantry and name his widow as Mary.

The 1921 census suggests that your John Foley was alive. I would again suggest that you search for John and Agnes in the 1921 census in Berwick.

William
Dent (Haltwhistle and Sacriston), Bell and Jetson (Haltwhistle), Postle, Ward, Longstaff, Purvis, Manners, Parnaby and Hardy (Co. Durham), Kennedy and McRobert (Banffshire), Reid(Bathgate), Watson (Wemyss), Graham (Libberton), Sandilands (Carmichael), Munro (Dingwall)

Offline heathera1940

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 18 February 22 17:41 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for that info. Back to the drawing board.

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 19 February 22 00:21 GMT (UK) »
Did you download the 1915 marriage cert to verify his parents names?
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 19 February 22 02:32 GMT (UK) »
John and Agnes were married on 11th September 1915.  John was a private in the King's Own  Scottish Borderers. John born 1877. Father James  Foley

What was the mother's name & what was father James' occ?

Where did fathers' name Bartholomew come from  ???

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline heathera1940

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 19 February 22 09:02 GMT (UK) »
Yes I downloaded the marriage certificate. Father James Occupation coal miner. Mother Mary.  John registered as bachelor, private in Kings Own Scottish Borderers. Don't know how I got the father's name as Bartholomew!!!!

Online Millmoor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 19 February 22 10:55 GMT (UK) »
 Going back to the original post I am still struggling to find a death for John Foley ( it does not appear to have been in Berwick). It is worth saying, however, that the surname does seem to have a variety of spellings/ transcriptions in different records. ( Given that John's father was Irish and his mother from Glasgow it is easy to see how this happened!).

This is, I think, John in the 1891 census, the surname showing as Fowley.( Have tried and failed to find the family in the 1881 census!).

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:WN4V-NW2

In 1901 John was in the army but the rest of the family are still in Newbottle and are recorded as Folley.

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:XSCW-PJD

And in 1911 , John's brother Michael's surname has been transcribed  on one site as Toley - the transcriber has also managed to transcribe his place of birth as Newcastle rather than Newbottle!
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:XWH4-JM5 ( The surname and place of birth are recorded correctly on another site).

I suspect that John's parents married in Scotland in 1870 in Rutherglen RD ( as James Fowley and Mary Ward). I also note that the nearest birth registration I can see for John with mmn Ward in Sunderland in 1876 is under the surname Fowler!

So in searching for a death for John it might be worth trying some wildcards.

William

Dent (Haltwhistle and Sacriston), Bell and Jetson (Haltwhistle), Postle, Ward, Longstaff, Purvis, Manners, Parnaby and Hardy (Co. Durham), Kennedy and McRobert (Banffshire), Reid(Bathgate), Watson (Wemyss), Graham (Libberton), Sandilands (Carmichael), Munro (Dingwall)

Offline heathera1940

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 19 February 22 11:33 GMT (UK) »
In the 1921 census John and Agnes are both living together in Tweedmouth Berwick on Tweed. K

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 19 February 22 15:04 GMT (UK) »
Did John & Agnes have any children?

If so, did they marry prior to 1939 & was John 'Deceased' on any of their marriages?

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"